August 2012 Moms

Bedtime issues

Hey ladies!  It's been awhile!  I need some help.

I think my DS has mastered the art of delay tactics.  I am so frustrated.  We moved into my parent's house on May 1 while our kitchen/living room is being renovated.  Since the day we moved in DS has been very difficult to get to finally fall asleep.  He whines and calls out for me, I go in and he asks for a drink of water.  He does this every 10-15 min for the course of an hour and then he has been waking up earlier than usual - 5:30/6.  At home, he was in bed by 7:15 and would sleep until 6:30/7am.  At first I chalked it up to a new place...and a pack n play.  But it's been over a month, I thought he would have gotten used to it by now!

Tonight, I decided I was going to hold firm and not give in to the water demand.  I went in the first time he was whining for a few minutes and told him it was time for bed and that I would give him a hug.  He just kept saying "water".  I said no, you have had enough water - it is time for bed.  And then I left - he cried for 10 min before I caved and went in to calm him down.  :/  Then I thought he would be out, he laid back down without a problem.  4 more times....my husband got home a little bit ago and went in to "shush" him to lay back down.

I don't know what to do.  We have done sleep training in the past and it has worked well, but now he is a stubborn toddler and has more stamina!  Is this just a phase that will pass?  Should I try a later bedtime?

Help please!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby #2!

BabyFruit Ticker 

Re: Bedtime issues

• No real suggestions I'm a parenting failure when it comes to sleep.
    I would first try to push bed time back. Both of my girls have pushed their bed times back by an hour in the last couple months.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • Jacqueline is the same way lately. She's fantastic at finding just "one more" of something. At least once a week she gets overtired and just goes to bed, but mostly it's almost 8:30/9 before she finally goes down...and I get her up for 5:30 to get ready for daycare...so she's not getting enough sleep. 

I'm glad I'm not alone with this, but I hope it passes soon!

DD Born August 16, 2012
    DS Due April 27, 2015
  • Loading the player...
  • KEfam5KEfam5 member
    I give DD her water in a sippy cup to take to bed with her but if you've already potty trained, that might not work...

• We haven't potty trained yet - far from it!  And he does like to set his water in the corner of the pack n play, like he wants to keep it there.  I'm worried that it's going to slowly seep out....or he'll lay on it or something.  Stupid, I know.

It's funny, because if my husband or 1 of my parents goes in to tell him it's time for bed, Sam will say "Mama".  And they tell him I'm sleeping or resting.  And then that's usually the end of it!

Alright, I'm going to try giving him his water and a little bit later bedtime tonight.  We'll see how it goes....Wish me luck!

Baby #2!

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Maybe this is ill-advised, but when DD has a stomach bug in February she woke up in the night asking for water.  I was so glad she was actually thirsty I let her keep her water cup in bed.  Then she started asking for it more often at night, so now we just leave it with her.

We have Nalgene sippy cups.  They don't seem to leak at all.  Some mornings, she has downed the entire cup overnight.  Other mornings, it looks like she hasn't touched it.

Anyway, maybe try giving him a water cup to keep in bed over night?
  • Hi @piphigirl!  Yep, that's part of my new plan - leaving his sippy of water with him.  I'm sure he will get a kick out of it.  :)  We have Playtex insulator cups, they rarely leak.  I'll give it a try!

Baby #2!

BabyFruit Ticker 

• I think the only thing you can do is be firm. If you're confident there's nothing wrong, you just have to let him realize you're not coming back and he should give up after a few nights. But then I'm kind of a meanie :)
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • I'm also mean. :) My only comment here is be careful with leaving water, because he may come to expect it and you may not want to keep leaving it when you are potty training, then you have to break that habit. Maybe it's something you're willing to deal with later for some peace now and I totally get that... Just something to think about though.
  • Last night Jacqueline fought because we had company. She was hollering for me, DH and for our friend. It last about 15 minutes, no crying, just complaining, and yelling, and then finally she caved and went to sleep. 

DH and I have been considering lowering the mattress all the way, and taking off the side and adding the toddler rail...but with this happening now I think we will hold off, because she'll never stay in bed if there's a way out.

DD Born August 16, 2012
    DS Due April 27, 2015
  • Last night went much better!  I put him down at 7:27 with his sippy of water.  He started whining at 7:42, which escalated very quickly to crying....and all was quiet by 7:46.  Not a peep all night!  He still woke up at 6ish...but much improved!

Thanks for all of your help ladies!

@HoneyBunn24 - I am terrified of putting him in a big boy bed....We would have to get his bookshelf out of the room...and child lock his dresser drawers otherwise he would tear all of his books off the shelf and every item of clothing would be on the floor!

Baby #2!

BabyFruit Ticker 

• @nobadwriting - that is great news and gives me hope!!  We plan to get DS a full sized bed with side rails too.  He is just a crazy man when he's on our bed.  Standing and jumping all around....

Baby #2!

BabyFruit Ticker 

• @nobadwriting - that is great news and gives me hope!!  We plan to get DS a full sized bed with side rails too.  He is just a crazy man when he's on our bed.  Standing and jumping all around....

Noah is like that too, but it's like he just knows that bed time is sleep time. I was so shocked.

That's awesome!!

Baby #2!

BabyFruit Ticker 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"