Natural Birth
Options

Natural Birth Preparation Question

So, I am mainly a lurker but I have come to this board often during my pregnancies to read all of the positive natural birth support! This is my third pregnancy, so you would think I would have this down by now. I am currently about 14 weeks pregnant. I am wondering if there is anything I can or should be doing now that will help my baby NOT come too late this time. I know to keep active and eat right. When should I start with the EPO and red raspberry leaf tea? Anything else you can think of?

My first daughter came on her own 7 days past the due date, with less than 2 hours from hospital check-in to holding her in my arms (I labored at home as long as I could). So that was a wonderful and natural experience! My second was an induction at 10 days past the due date, even though we passed all the non-stress tests and fluid checks, my doctor/hospital was very unfriendly to natural (had to labor in bed, couldn't even get out to pee, and on and on), threw around scary words like "fetal demise" and "still-birth" and made me feel like I had no choice but to agree to the induction. After that experience, my confidence was shot, and I am dreading going late and having to do the pitocin route again. We have moved across country and I am with a great midwife practice this time so I am comfortable with that part of it, thank goodness!

Re: Natural Birth Preparation Question

• Options
    Since you are comfortable with your midwives for this pregnancy, I think you should be as open with them as you can regarding your last two pregnancies. By talking to them early, you are letting them know that you are committed to doing what needs to be done to be healthy for you and the baby. You are also ensuring that you will all be on the same page regarding the type of birth you want. Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything decidedly proven that anyone can do to urge a baby to arrive close to his/her due date, but by talking through your fears with your midwives, you can hopefully worry less about having to be induced. Good luck!
  • Options

I'm on my third too and all I can tell you is that the third time around all I know for sure about birth is that each one is different and I can't count on anything being like last time.

I would second talking it all through with your midwives.

This early in pregnancy the mental part is about all you can actively work on, so I'd suggest some reading.  I'd suggest the Ina May books.  She has such great positive birth stories and also a lot of discussion of non physical things that can cause you to delay labor.  Birthing from Within is what I'm reading currently.  It's got a lot of focus on working through your feelings and fears. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @MandMLeona  I'm a FTM and I've been lurking a bit here on the Natural Birth board.  I do plan on going Natural and I've read the Ina May books.  Based on your suggestion, I think I'll pick up Birthing From Within for my Kindle.  

CafeMom Tickers

N14 January Siggy Challenge - What Sucks About Work

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"