Health & Exercise

Earliest to run post partum?

Curious what other serious runners have done post-partum. I was running up until I gave birth and was walking 3-4 miles a week post partum...but nothing compares to running! How long did you wait to start running again?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Earliest to run post partum?

• I have only had C-sections, but I waited until 6 weeks both times for my 1st jog.  I started walking 2-3 miles after 2 weeks.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I started walking 4 days post partum and running 3 weeks (once the bleeding stopped)
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I ran a 5k 5 weeks after having a c-section.  I don't think I was technically supposed to start running until 6 weeks.  I was going to just walk the 5k but then started jogging and couldn't make myself walk!  Good luck
  • edited June 2014
    I had DS at 37w4d, and was still running about 30 miles a week at that point. I ran 4 miles the morning he was born. I had a relatively easy vaginal delivery, and was out walking at 4 days pp. I went for my first run at 2 weeks pp, and ran every other day for a couple of weeks, alternating with longer walks on the non-running days. I was back to 6 days a week running by about 8 weeks pp.

I'm currently 36 weeks with baby #2, and still running 40 mpw- feeling great!! Hoping to run right up to delivery day with her as well.

Mommy to R (8.23.11) and K (6.21.14).

• I ran throughout my entire pregnancy and then took three full weeks off after L&D. I was doing long walks as soon as we left the hospital, but I held off on running until the bleeding fully stopped.
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • jldcjsjldcjs member
    I'm curious about the risk of a prolapse. I am 2 weeks pp and feel great. I went on 2 runs this week but then a friend warned me I might have a prolapse from doing too much too soon. Any validity in this?
  • To PP^, 

There
    is validity in being concerned about the risk of prolapse. It's not uncommon for most women to experience some mild degree of pelvic prolapse following the birth of a baby, just because of the insane amount of stretching and moving around that everything does during pregnancy and delivery. Check out the boards at www.hab-it.com, in the "Ask Tasha" section. Tasha Mulligan is a triathalete who had a grade 3 (very severe) bladder prolapse following each of her three vaginal deliveries, and has rehabbed herself back to a grade 1 (non noticeable, symptom free) each time, and then returned to compete athetically again. There are hundreds, if not thousands of women who are experiencing prolapse who have discovered it after getting back to exercise too quickly, without proper rehabilitation of their pelvic floor. It's worth it to rehab your vajay and supporting muscles and organs, before jumping in too soon. I prolapsed 6 days PP with my first son, born vaginally and quickly. Was 27, healthy, and had zero reason to think it could happen to me. But it did, sadly. Thankfully I found it so early that I didn't jump back into a rigorous fitness routine too early, and took the time to rehab. At about 8 months postpartum I was completely symptom free, and was able to advance to Tasha's advanced training program, which prepares you for returning to high impact exercise and activity. 
  • Prolapse is for real! This is why as hard as it is, I will not exercise until 6-8 weeks after giving birth, other than low impact walks. I had a friend who started running and lifting weights 2-3 weeks postpartum and her bladder prolapsed badly enough to need surgery. Eat right and exercise during pregnancy so that the need to do it so soon after is not there. I love exercise endorphins but no way is it worth it to me!
  • jldcjsjldcjs member
    @zoegirlTX I don't know much about prolapse, but basically it is when the muscles that typically hold up the pelvic floor become weakened and the organs drop. There are different degrees of this and if severe enough, you can have organs actually coming out of your body. 
    From what I understand, some degree of dropping is normal after pregnancy/childbirth but post breastfeeding (when estrogen levels increase again), things often return to normal. 

• Yes do kegels! Do them a lot! You do have to be careful and there is no magic number for the amount of time that you need to wait. Some women might workout a couple weeks later and be fine. I know women who waited the 6 weeks (dr's clearance) and still had issues. There is a marathoner who was fine after her first pregnancy but had issues on her second. It just depends on your body. You have to listen to it. Sorry, not trying to scare you at all, but kegels will definitely help strengthen the area and are important. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"