April 2014 Moms

Vaccines

For moms whose LO has had their first round, how did they do? Were they more fussy than normal after? And if so, for how long?
I know then can also run fever, is that common? How long after they receive the vaccinations would you typically see a fever?
We had our first round this morning and so far he has been more fussy but (knock on wood), no fever. I ended up giving him a dose of Tylenol because I could tell he wasn't feeling well.

Re: Vaccines

• tessa had her 2m shots today.  she was very fussy, seemed to be uncomfortable tonight, and was screaming and writhing around when she wasn't nursing or sleeping.  we gave a dose of tylenol before bedtime.  both thighs were very red and swollen.  i felt awful for her :(
  • Abcollins57Abcollins57 member
    edited June 2014
    I know, I feel so bad for these poor babies. I know it's better than the alternative of not getting them, it's just hard to see my baby boy not feel good.
  • Loading the player...
  • Eden got hers yesterday. It was awful. She screamed until her face was red and wasn't happy at all the rest of the evening. The only positive was that she slept through the night. Today she's been fussy still and more cuddly than normal but her temp has never gotten higher than 99. She's got a little bruise on one of the sites too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• zazu13zazu13 member
    My girls had their 8 week shots. I gave them tylenol and they were a bit cranky in the evening but back to their happy selves the next day.

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• Mine seemed pretty unaffected by his 1-month ones. He was a little sleepier than usual, but not much.
  • zoopsiedaisyzoopsiedaisy member
    edited June 2014
    I'm dreading the 2 month shots for her. She screamed for her 1 month shot like when she got an IV in the ER at 3 days old. It was awful. She was actually easier to console then than when she got the one HepB. She was tired that whole afternoon and evening but has been fine. I am not looking forward to July 2. I have read about vaccinations and side effects like a crazy person trying to get prepared.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• DD had them yesterday. She wailed like a banshee after and cried so hard she couldn't breathe but was fine when as calmed down. She went to sleep later than usual but went right back down after her 1am feeding. She woke up at 5:45 and even after a diaper change, feeding from both sides and Tylenol is fighting sleep.
  • Has/is anyone NOT getting all the vaccines on the same day?

We're thinking about only getting one at a time - which requires multiple visits (that many people don't want so they cram them all into one visit) - that way incase DS should have any reactions, we know the vaccine that caused it...

(Please don't read this as NOT VACCINATING!!! He will get all of his vaccines! Just maybe over the course of a week or so instead of one day)
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DD just got her 1st round/2mth shots last week. She cried while getting them but within a minute calmed down. I fed her before we left the office & she was sleepy the remainder of the day. The next morning she was back to herself.
    Lilypie - Eu0n
    BFP: 12/3/15     EDD: 8/11/16     IT'S A BOY!!!
    MAXIMUS POWERS   8♥5♥16

Lilypie - pXE7
    BFP: 8/5/13      EDD: 4/13/14     IT'S A GIRL!!!      
    AYLA BLAIR   3♥27♥14

• Dixon813 said:

Has/is anyone NOT getting all the vaccines on the same day?

We're thinking about only getting one at a time - which requires multiple visits (that many people don't want so they cram them all into one visit) - that way incase DS should have any reactions, we know the vaccine that caused it...

(Please don't read this as NOT VACCINATING!!! He will get all of his vaccines! Just maybe over the course of a week or so instead of one day)

We planned on doing this and probably will for some future vaccines. Our Doctors office actually charges $15 for each vaccine appointment that's off the normal schedule. Totally a pain in the ass and I feel a little unfair but we like them so I'll deal.
  • Dixon813 said:

Has/is anyone NOT getting all the vaccines on the same day?

We were going to do this for the same reason, but our ped (who is pretty liberal/holistic leaning) explained that reactions to different vaccines show up differently so they can differentiate if there's a reaction. Also, he made the point that you can do the needle stick and pain once or you can do it in chunks and have them in pain more often. According to them, getting multiples only raises risk of fever/reaction by 1%. That said, I can totally see the delayed side too. I've been kind if torn about it, but finally decided to go on schedule. If the reaction thing is your only concern, maybe talk to your doctor about their ability to differentiate reactions.
  • My guys were all good, didn't seem to affect them at all.

POS+April 2009-M/c May 2009, POS+July 2009-M/c Aug 2009, POS+ Novemeber 2009 -Baby Boy Charlie DOB 07/06/2010, POS+July 2011-M/c and D&C Aug 2011, POS+Dec 2011 -Baby Boy Ethan DOB 07/27/2012, POS+Aug 2013-TWIN BOYS! Jack and Miles born March 23rd 2014!!

">image
  • When do you give the Tylenol? I've read to give it before the shots and then I've read to give it after. What do y'all think? I'm going at 11 for her visit
  • Ok thank you! I'm not looking forward to her after shots. I'm praying she will be one of those that doesn't seem to be bothered by them
  • TallaBTallaB member

I'm going next week. What kind of Tylenol do you give a baby, and how do you give it to them?
    Infant tylenol. Its a liquid, just syringe it into their mouth a little at a time.

• My little man got his shots Monday. About 9 hours after the shots he spiked a temp. I have him Tylenol and he was ok, temp went down . Next day took his temp again still elevated but not enough to give Tylenol and now he's fine. It's the worst thing watching them get the shots he screamed bloody murder .. I was going to space the shots out but the doctor said it wasent worth it and just delayed the inevitable
  • LalaMama81 - would you be willing to share what schedule/calendar you use?

Rogue237 - Thanks for the input!  Will definitely be talking more with our Ped. before we make any decisions (our appt isn't for 2 more weeks...)
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We also do a delayed schedule we go in monthly for the first year. We pay extra for shot visits but it is worth it to me. We did the same with DS.
  • zoopsiedaisyzoopsiedaisy member
    edited June 2014
    My doctor recommends avoiding Tylenol too. She said the immune response, including fever, is what builds the immunity. She said give Tylenol if she needs it, but at what point do you give it? 100.4 or above? I will ask at the appointment in July, but I'm curious.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Just out of curiosity to those that go in for shot visits and have to pay a copay...do you see the doctor as well or just the nurses who give the vaccines?
  • tessa had her 2m shots today.  she was very fussy, seemed to be uncomfortable tonight, and was screaming and writhing around when she wasn't nursing or sleeping.  we gave a dose of tylenol before bedtime.  both thighs were very red and swollen.  i felt awful for her :(

This exactly!! Her swollen legs worried me but after giving her Tylenol she was better!
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • Guess I need to hit the store on the way there! I had no idea there was such a thing as liquid Tylenol. Thanks!

It's Tylenol for kids 0-23 months in liquid form. In montreal we also have tempra (in case you don't find Tylenol) and it's basically the same thing.
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • alice928 said:

Just out of curiosity to those that go in for shot visits and have to pay a copay...do you see the doctor as well or just the nurses who give the vaccines?

During the 2mo appt we also met with the doc and he checked out DS and was talking to me about various milestones, his stats, and any questions that I had.
  • DS did well last night. I wasn't sure how he would sleep given that he got the shots yesterday morning.

I'm not sure if it is coincidence but last night when he was fussy he started to curl his bottom lip when he cried and making a sad face. It was so funny and cute that I didn't mind the crying (& because it was short-lived and not hours of screaming like we have experienced early on).
  • Paul hasn't had his but I am the opposite of wanting to space them out, I wish we could do them all at once so I don't have to draw out his suffering! Also our insurance doesn't cover delayed schedules unless there's a medical reason, so my DH would be pretty mad if I delayed any and we had to pay OOP.
  • DD was fussy and sleepy that day and also ran a fever starting that night that lasted a day
  • My LO took her shots like a woman at the doctor's and slept most of the morning today. She woke up wailing her head off so had to give her Tylenol. She was crying so hard she puked all over me and I had to give her more. She had a lot of swelling and redness in her thighs and a fever, but the Tylenol helped. But she's still cranky and whiny and has slept most of the day. My poor little momma! I hope we don't have a bad night.
  • DS developed a fever of 100.5 and has watery poops. He also seems to be grunting like he is trying to poop. I called the doc and they just told me to monitor it and call them back if his fever goes higher or poop gets worse.

He's still nursing so I'm hoping that he feels better soon.
  • Logan had his 2m check up today. He got 2 shots & 1 oral vaccine. He screamed for a few seconds after the 2nd shot but a couple hrs later was wailing his head off especially if we touched his legs. He had redness & swelling in the one leg, was extremely fussy & uncomfortable.. we put a cold compress on & gave some Tylenol & he slept the afternoon away. Seems much better right now tho :)
    NTNP 11/2011 CP 11/29/12 BFP 8/6/13 EDD 4/16/14 ♥ 
    Logan Timothy - Born 4/5/14 @ 38w3d, 7lbs14.8oz, 20½in.
    imageimage
  • DS had his shots (3 + 1 oral) on Thursday. He screamed during but was easily consoled. He took great naps and was extra snuggly all day. He had a fever of 100.2 that night (9ish hours later). I gave his Tylenol and he refused to go down for the night for a while but was actually super smiley and happy once the meds kicked in. Woke up with no fever and all back to business as usual.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • MamaFantasticMamaFantastic member
    edited June 2014
    My doula recently posted this link about the drawbacks of delayed vax schedules:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/delaying-vaccines-increases-risks-with-no-added-benefits/

(Can't make clicky from my phone, sorry ... ETA looks like it's active anyway! I don't know how that happened.)
  • Our lo got his vaccines on Thursday. He was a man about it, fussed for a few mins then passed out. Friday he was also good until about 2:30 (so just over 24 hrs later). He had the biggest blowout poop ever (of course while on my lap having a pedicure with my mom and sister-in-law!). Later in the evening our usually happy content dude cried for hours. We gave him a bit of Tylenol and it knocked him out and he slept well. He's still bothered by diarrhea and a bit of vomiting... We did bring him to be looked at as I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    Rotavirus vaccine is to blame as the virus is LIVE just attenuated. Just a heads up in case your little one encounters similar side effects!
  • Our lo got his vaccines on Thursday. He was a man about it, fussed for a few mins then passed out. Friday he was also good until about 2:30 (so just over 24 hrs later). He had the biggest blowout poop ever (of course while on my lap having a pedicure with my mom and sister-in-law!). Later in the evening our usually happy content dude cried for hours. We gave him a bit of Tylenol and it knocked him out and he slept well. He's still bothered by diarrhea and a bit of vomiting... We did bring him to be looked at as I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    Rotavirus vaccine is to blame as the virus is LIVE just attenuated. Just a heads up in case your little one encounters similar side effects!

We had ours Wednesday and still have diarhea!

We had ours Wednesday and still have diarhea!
    While his poops are back to normal, I think that he's still not feeling 100%.
  • Emma has her shots tomorrow morning. The look they give is heartbreaking, not looking forward to it :(
  • It's been a rough wknd since he got his Friday morning. He's been going back & forth on acting like himself but the fever has been coming & going. Highest was 100.4 so not too bad.
    NTNP 11/2011 CP 11/29/12 BFP 8/6/13 EDD 4/16/14 ♥ 
    Logan Timothy - Born 4/5/14 @ 38w3d, 7lbs14.8oz, 20½in.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"