Special Needs

Oral Medicine Syringes?

We have been giving Reese daily medicine since January and every medicine syringe that is given to us through the pharmacy is terrible or only lasts a week or so. It is super frustrating.

Any ideas on the best medicine syringes to buy?
My daughter is my hero.

Re: Oral Medicine Syringes?

• ToastieSimonsToastieSimons member
    edited May 2014
    We've been using them daily since DS1 and DS2 were a few months old (they're 4 and 2 now).  All of a sudden this last batch from the pharmacist doesn't last.  The ink washes right off the syringe so we can't measure with it.

if you're having issues with the rubber gasket inside you can coat it with some vegetable and olive oil to keep it soft and malleable.

We've never bought them.  I would just ask your pharmacist for extras when you pick up the prescriptions.  That's what we've been doing.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • DC2London said:
    I love the ones that come with infant Advil.  They last forever.
    the problem is that they're dosed for advil.  The marks are only at certain intervals and don't work when you're trying to measure out different amounts.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Loading the player...
  • The Walgreens ones last forever because they don't have a rubber gasket to come loose. I swear we have a million of them flowing around the house! Just don't wash the outside too aggressively--but that is true for all syringes. We get a batch of medical o-ring ones for the gtube and the numbers eventually wash away.
  • DC2London said:
    DC2London said:
    the problem is that they're dosed for advil.  The marks are only at certain intervals and don't work when you're trying to measure out different amounts.
    What I do is measure the amount I need into a traditional medicine cup, then suck it up with the syringe and give it to him that way.  Bc it is so small, it's easy to get it back into the back of his cheek so he can't spit the medicine back out.  I realize that this isn't the most efficient method, but it's what works for us ;)
    That will work great for easy meds like tylenol and advil where the dose is 2.5 or another easy number or not as critical to be precise.  But a lot of other meds are odd dosages.  My DS2 gets .6mL of Baclofen 3x/day.  Much easier to measure with a 1mL syringe marked in .10 than a medicine cup.  Also much more precise and accurate.  
  • DC2London said:
    DC2London said:
    What I do is measure the amount I need into a traditional medicine cup, then suck it up with the syringe and give it to him that way.  Bc it is so small, it's easy to get it back into the back of his cheek so he can't spit the medicine back out.  I realize that this isn't the most efficient method, but it's what works for us ;)
    That will work great for easy meds like tylenol and advil where the dose is 2.5 or another easy number or not as critical to be precise.  But a lot of other meds are odd dosages.  My DS2 gets .6mL of Baclofen 3x/day.  Much easier to measure with a 1mL syringe marked in .10 than a medicine cup.  Also much more precise and accurate.  
    This is the issue with us :). She gets .3 ml of one medicine. Then 4.3ml of another medicine--neither which the tylenol/advil dispensers use. 
    My daughter is my hero.
  • I've other idea (something we did with our dog's ear syringes since they were soooo small and the numbers wore off fast), when the numbers start to fade, take a sharp knife and score the outside where your dosage for that med would be and label the top of the plunger. If the dosages are consistent in quantity, then this trick works great.
  • I just changed out my daughters tube and the brand that came with it is Monoject. The numbers and dosage lines are scored into the plastic. It might be worth looking into.
  • I bought a bunch of syringes when my dog got sick years ago.  You might want to check this place out.   

I think I have the 1 mL syringe pictured at the top of the page above.  I bought it in case I ever need to measure tiny amounts.  

Go to the page above and select any "DETACHABLE FLEXOJECT" from the dropdown and then the dropdown list for the syringe will become enabled and you can choose a size.  You don't have to order the other thing (I think they are feeding tips).

• I also find if you pour some in to a small measuring cup first and then suck it up with the syringe to get the accurate measurement the ink seems to last longer.  I just keep asking for them at the pharmacy… they give me 3-4 every month for the boys seizure med.  

• A2TPA2TP member
    We also use Walgreens for our pharmacy and love their syringes (no rubber). I wrap the outside with clear packing tape to preserve the dosage markings. Even throwing them in the dishwasher we have not had problems with them getting gross. We no longer have any daily meds but I still hoard a stash of a couple dozen syringes.
    DS1: 09.12.10
    DS2 & DD1: 01.14.13
  • I am not sure. We get our supplies through a supplier. I'd google it and see what pops up. Try ebay too--lots of medical equipment on there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"