Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Night weaning....How did you do it?

So my baby is 7 months and still not STTN.  Is still getting up every 3 hrs.  The doctor told me I should not be nursing him at all at night and that he should have been STTN months ago.  He told me to try one of the many methods of night weaning and that there are many books.  I don't have time to read books.  I have 4 kids under 7 and I'm only getting 3-4 hrs sleep a night.  Please help if you used a night weaning process that worked and how you did it.  Thanks!

Re: Night weaning....How did you do it?

• Options
    Is your LO getting enough naps during the day? If they don't sleep well during the day, then they won't at night. Is LO getting enough calories during the day? My LO is almost six months and if she wakes up anytime before six,which she rarely does, I try to pat her or stroke her hair to get back to sleep. Around 4ish months I started only giving her about 2 oz. when she woke up. She is formula fed. My ped said if I fed her a full bottle she might feel like she will always needs that feed. Slowly but surely she stopped waking for that feed. Now she sleeps from 730-600or so. Every LO is different but maybe you could try to soothe her before nursing. Just a thought. Hope this made sense!
  • Options
    I have no advice, we never weaned.... if it has been more than 3 hours since the last time she ate, and she wakes up at night, we feed her. If she wakes up before that we will try to comfort her first, and if that doesn't work, we feed her. 

Losing sleep isn't fun at all, I hope your LO starts giving you longer stretches very soon. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was lucky and my LO one had always at least given me a solid 5-6 hrs of sleep through the night..... Until 5 months. Now most nights he wakes every 2.5-3 hrs.

I tried to soothe but he definitely wants to eat. He will scream and once I pick him up he is trying to find the goods. My Dr suggested trying to see if he would drop the night feed. She also stated all babies are different and he may need to be fed.
  • Options
    Feed your baby.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    My son is 7.5 months and he has gradually dropped night feedings so now we are down to just one, usually at 2:30/3:00am after going down for the night at 7:00pm.  Now that he's getting more solid foods I'm hoping that he drops the night feeding, but I am not pushing him.
    I have no idea how hard it is to function on so little sleep with so many little ones, but the only advice I can give is to hang in there, and trust that he will drop the feedings when he is ready. 
    DS1: 9/4/2013
    DS2: 10/23/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Personally, I welcome medical advice from someone w/ 8+ years of education more than an internet stranger. We fill LO tummy until he tells me he is full, then we play for a bit, then he is ready for a nap. When he wakes up again he is hungry. This allows him to get plenty of food during the day, so then we can teach him to sleep at night. When he wakes at night I give him a few min to settle himself. Babies have to learn how to connect their sleep cycles. If he isn't settling, I offer a paci. If that doesn't work, I feed him. LO is 6 mo old and has not woken up at night since he was 3 mo. I think that you can't just assume they are waking due to hunger, and I believe you have to gently teach them it's time to sleep. They deserve a good nights sleep too!
  • Options
    Yes, I agree that you should feed if LO is waking when baby is a newborn. however, I'm assuming that her LO is at least 6 mo. At that age, they should ybe capable of consuming all their calories during the day. If they are waking at night, and they aren't sick and ate well that day, they don't necessarily need food. They need to learn to connect their sleep cycles.
  • Options
    Carmen101613Carmen101613 member
    edited April 2014
    I'm sorry, where are your credentials if you are so educated on the subject? I was just leaving my 2 cents for the op who asked the question.
  • Options

Yes, I agree that you should feed if LO is waking when baby is a newborn. however, I'm assuming that her LO is at least 6 mo. At that age, they should ybe capable of consuming all their calories during the day. If they are waking at night, and they aren't sick and ate well that day, they don't necessarily need food. They need to learn to connect their sleep cycles.

Wrong

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    I'm sorry, where are your credentials if you are so educated on the subject? I was just leaving my 2 cents for the op who asked the question.

Where are your credentials, then?
    I didn't see her dispensing medical advice, so why would she need them?

I think the amount of Mama's here who are so arrogant to think they can dispense medical advice towards a child THEY HAVE NEVER EVEN SEEN or examined is incredibly irresponsible. I'm sorry, but pushing a child out of your vagina doesn't make you a medical expert. 

I also wonder why so many mama's even bother taking their children to a dr in the first place? They obviously have such disdain for the profession, so why bother? If you're so darn smart, do it without your Dr's help. 
  • Options
    I agree with MaybeKatie10. I was answering a question the op had. Just because my views are not the same as your views does not make them wrong. She wanted to know about night weaning. "Feed your baby" is not the response she was looking for. And no one here is a proponent for withholding food if that is what baby needs. So therefore The only way you can tell me an answer is wrong is if you have an MD behind your name. They are medically trained, you are not.
  • Options
    I have the same thing. I have tried to not feed her but she is not about that at all! It is a complete melt down if i do not feed her
  • Options
    BelhurstBrideBelhurstBride member
    edited May 2014

I think the amount of Mama's here who are so arrogant to think they can dispense medical advice towards a child THEY HAVE NEVER EVEN SEEN or examined is incredibly irresponsible. I'm sorry, but pushing a child out of your vagina doesn't make you a medical expert. 

Then why are you here? If the advice here is so useless? 

Pediatricians go to medical school and specialize in medical related issues in children. They do not take years of coursework in child development. If they even study BFing it usually isn't much more than an afternoon long continuing ed type course. 

STTN and needing to eat throughout the night is not a medical issue. It's a child development issue. 

High temp? Sure. Call your dr. Kid not STTN? You can call, but your doctor is giving your their opinion on the matter.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Belhurstbride told me I was uneducated and I asked what her credentials were to call me that. I have a doctorate, I'm highly educated, thank you very much. Can't someone here leave a freaking post with their advice to the op without getting jumped on? I'm starting to think I'm too educated to waste my time on TB.
  • Options

Good grief, read my original post.  I am not saying the child has sleep problems, rather normal sleep patterns.  If a 7 mo eats well that day, and is not sick and wakes up at night, did it ever cross your mind that they may not waking because of hunger?  If you are trying to acheive night weaning, like the op is, wouldnt you try to settle the baby a different way?  Of course if the baby doesnt settle by these means, then feed them. 

According to her DOCTOR, he should be capable of consuming his calories during the day because the doctor recommended night weaning in the first place. 

I've also read a lot of books including Bringing up Bebe which is about an American journalist bringing up a baby in France.  She credited a lot of reliable sources in the book.  French babies usually STTN much earlier than American babies because French moms dont always assume a night waking is due to hunger. 

• Options

Good grief, read my original post.  I am not saying the child has sleep problems, rather normal sleep patterns.  If a 7 mo eats well that day, and is not sick and wakes up at night, did it ever cross your mind that they may not waking because of hunger?  If you are trying to acheive night weaning, like the op is, wouldnt you try to settle the baby a different way?  Of course if the baby doesnt settle by these means, then feed them. 

According to her DOCTOR, he should be capable of consuming his calories during the day because the doctor recommended night weaning in the first place. 

I've also read a lot of books including Bringing up Bebe which is about an American journalist bringing up a baby in France.  She credited a lot of reliable sources in the book.  French babies usually STTN much earlier than American babies because French moms dont always assume a night waking is due to hunger. 

OMG you are full of it. Babies are babies. It's BS to ascribe STTN to cultural differences. It's physiological.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options

Good grief!! I came into this thread because my 8 month DD won't shake her 4am feed. I'm so so disappointed to see that this thread quickly turned into middle school drama. You don't have to agree with everyone's response (especially if you're not the OP!) but what good are you doing by fighting on here? By continuously bickering, you're no better than the people you're criticizing.

That's my two cents. I'm not checking back into this drama, so no need to respond to this. I'm going to continue to look for tips for my DD.

Have a great and safe weekend everyone!!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    yeah.yeah. member
    You can't force it. My kids needed to eat at night until they were almost a year, then they both dropped it on their own. Sucks, but it's part of the deal. Can your husband help with a night feeding or two?
  • Options
    At my LO six month appointment the doctor said I should do sleep training and drop the nighttime feedings because she was using them to fall back asleep, a habit I need to help her break.
    While I am/was nervous about it I know that she is growing well and getting plenty to eat during the day, so at 20 lbs and 6 months old I agreed that she doesn't need to eat at night and we are giving it a try.
    So far it's been three days and I have learned that my li will fuss for a few minutes but WILL then fall asleep on her own.
    If she wakes up in the middle if the night - which she is still doing- I first let her stir for a minute or two (feels longer) then I go check on her to make sure she is still ok and might even rub her belly so she knows I'm responding to her, but then I leave and so far she has fallen back asleep on her own shortly after.
    My husband is better at this and needs to help me from rushing in, but my idea is that I give her a quick chance to fall back asleep, I can go let her know she's not being ignored, and if she were to continue to cry loudly for a while I would pick her up and feed her, but so far three nights it's never come to that so I'm hoping it gets better each night.
    Good luck
  • Options
    Babies mostly have these habits that they woke up early,the main reason behind this is they are hungry.Give proper feed to your kid.Mother feed is good for babies.Go for that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"