October 2014 Moms
Options

Help me choose a middle name!

Emerald27Emerald27 member
edited May 2014 in October 2014 Moms
Because I like to click things and assume everyone else does too. ;)

Also, DH and I were set on Cora Frances for a girl, but now I'm wavering and am just not so sure I love the combination. I just want to be totally happy with our name choice, and I'm fickle.

LN starts with S. Sounds a bit like "seal." ...I'm so bad with the sounds like stuff.

So, which MN do you like?

ETA: We find out Monday if baby is boy or girl, so this may or may not actually matter. :P
imageimage

Help me choose a middle name! 120 votes

Cora Frances (original choice)
34% 41 votes
Cora Renee (DH's aunt who passed away from cancer last year)
53% 64 votes
Cora Esme (means "loved" in Old French)
10% 12 votes
SS - I have another idea and promise to list it below!!!
2% 3 votes

Re: Help me choose a middle name!

• Options
    I actually like your original choice. Whenever I see the name Esme, I think of Twilight.

• Options
    I like Cora Frances but with the last name sound it kind of tongue ties me. That might not matter at all to you though!

I voted Cora Renee because of that and I like that it honors a family member
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wait wait wait...is Esme a Twilight character?! I never read the books. And I love that name. :((
    imageimage
  • Options
    Renee was my pick for a MN if this LO was a girl, so I'm biased. I do think it flows better than Frances though. How about Rosalind?

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Emerald27 said:
    Wait wait wait...is Esme a Twilight character?! I never read the books. And I love that name. :((
    Its the "mom" type character for Edward. And when Edward and Bella have their kid they name the girl Reneesme, a combination of Bella's mom (Renee) and Edward's mom (Esme). Sorry!

• Options
    Haha Esme is Edward's mother. Bella and Edward also name their baby Renesme or something to combine their mothers' names Renee and Esme. Yes, I've read the books and seen the movies. I'm so ashamed.

• Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited May 2014

Emerald27 said:

Its the "mom" type character for Edward. And when Edward and Bella have their kid they name the girl Reneesme, a combination of Bella's mom (Renee) and Edward's mom (Esme). Sorry!

----------------------
    Aaaaaah!!! So now you tell me both those names are from Twilight?! #-o
    imageimage
  • Options
    @Emerald27 Well if it matters they aren't really main characters. :(

• Options

Lol - this was going to be my next question. If the books are about hormonal teenage vampires, just how present in the stories can their mothers be?! Unless there's more to these stories than I really want to know...

Are they mentioned in passing or do they play a significant role in the books? I'm afraid if I tell DH that these are the names of twilight characters, he'll veto them off the bat. :(
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:

Lol - this was going to be my next question. If the books are about hormonal teenage vampires, just how present in the stories can their mothers be?! Unless there's more to these stories than I really want to know...

Are they mentioned in passing or do they play a significant role in the books? I'm afraid if I tell DH that these are the names of twilight characters, he'll veto them off the bat. :(
    Well Esme is pretty major, Renee much less so. I think you'll be ok, just don't tell him ;)

• Options

Emerald27 said:

Well Esme is pretty major, Renee much less so. I think you'll be ok, just don't tell him ;)
    I wish it was that easy. I have to tell him. You know that! :-<
    imageimage
  • Options
    MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    I like all your options.

Reneesme is terrible, though. That book's editor should have cut that. She should have cut that hard.
  • Options
    So does Esme immediately call to mind the twilight character (I suppose that's the only place most Americans have seen it...)? I found it just browsing trough names on behindthename.com.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I like Frances the best. Esme is lovely too, but I immediately think of Twilight.
    DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • Options
    I didn't immediately place why Esme was familiar but I knew it was the name of a character from something I have read or seen. I picked Renee over Francis. My initial reaction was that I didn't like Francis because it makes me think of the Kevin Spacey character in House of Cards. I've never know a Francies and after binge watching that show on Netflix that's what popped into my head right away. That's not really a reason not to pick it though. You should pick what you think flows best.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    I love Cora Renee. Disclaimer: my MN is Renee (obviously from SN) and I have always loved loved my MN.
    I like how it flows & that it is connected to family too though.

• Options
    I like the way Cora Francis sounds, but Cora Renee is nice too and I love names with sentimental value, so I'd go with one of those. We find out what we're having Monday too - excited for you!! :)

BabyFetus Ticker 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   Image and video hosting by TinyPic  
  • Options

I picked Cora Frances on the poll, but equally love Cora Renee. 

Even though you will find out Monday, you could wait to meet baby to see which name fits better?
    Theoretically we could, but DH has this thing about naming baby ASAP. He sort of wants to have the boy and girl name chosen when we go to the a/s!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Aaaaand DH just eliminated Esme. [-(
    imageimage
  • Options
    I love Renee, but DH vetoed it early on because he is boring.

I realize it doesn't matter now because you H vetoed it, but the only reason I remember Esme from Twilight is because I couldn't figure out how to pronounce it.
  • Options
    I like Cora Frances the best still.  But as long as you avoid Renesmee (gag) I think you're good ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I voted Renee because it's my middle name. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't know how to pronounce Esme either and also automatically think of Twilight.

I voted for Renee. I think it has the best flow and I love the family significance that goes with it.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    OK, I voted special snowflake, because I thought a monosyllabic middle name might flow really well after Cora. I don't have a specific one in mind, but something with the rhythm of Cora Mae sounds very sweet to me. My second choice is Cora Frances. :)
    Me: 31  ~  Copilot: 37  ~  Our son: 3/25/11 ~ Our daughter: 10/5/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"