November 2012 Moms

18 month appt

I expected the 18 mo appt to be a little more... involved? There was no evaluation of skills, no questions re: milestones, just the basics (height, weight, checked ears, etc). I had a list of questions (is he eating too much, bug spray recommendations, are his toenails growing correctly?) and the pedi just quickly gave me generic answers, then left and the nurse gave B his shot.

Did your pedi do more at the 18 month appointment?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 18 month appt

• kbl13kbl13 member
    Chickie79 said:
     Did you have concerns about the pedi before?

No serious concerns about the pedi, but I really haven't needed him for anything but check-ups yet. I don't agree with his stance on flouride - there's none in our water and he doesn't recommend supplementing bc it will make teeth too brittle and when I pushed back on that a little this time, he said "it's easier to just treat cavities" -- so this appt just makes me question him a little
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Ours was pretty much standard like yours except DD1 didn't get a shot.  She has one that she could get at 18 or 24 months and we decided to wait until 24 months.  The pedi did want to see her walk (which she's been doing for about 8 months now), but of course she was shy and basically refused to do so.  Other than that, weight, height, head circumference, and a few questions.  He did ask what the heck I'm feeding my child since she gained a little more than average since 15 months. 

• Loading the player...
  • Our appointments are usually like this unless we have questions. The pediatrician plays with DS and checks him over (eyes, ears, in his diaper, etc.). No shots this past (18 month) appointment though.
  • We always fill out the milestone papers and we filled out the autism paperwork this time. No shots for us. Then doc checked him over. He was glad he finally gained some weight (almost 3 lbs this time). Pushed his swimming lessons for water safety, make sure the house is child proofed (every time we show up) and that was about it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Every well check up we have is about 20-30 minutes with the pedi. We do the questionnaires but he also wants to see D in action (walking, talking, playing).

I find it a bit strange they didn't ask you any questions about milestones, ect. At this point our next well check up is not until the 2yr mark.  Do you have a check up before then? 

You can always use this checklist for your own reference if you are concerned about any milestones.
    https://ecdc.syr.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Developmental_checklists_Updated2012.pdf

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • No serious concerns about the pedi, but I really haven't needed him for anything but check-ups yet. I don't agree with his stance on flouride - there's none in our water and he doesn't recommend supplementing bc it will make teeth too brittle and when I pushed back on that a little this time, he said "it's easier to just treat cavities" -- so this appt just makes me question him a little 

you are totally right for questioning him on the fluoride.  that is pure crazy talk from your pedi-- it is WAY better to prevent, rather than treat cavities.  Here is the chart for doctors about fluoride supplementation-- you can contact your water supplier to see where your fluoride level is and see when/if you should be supplementing:  https://www.aapd.org/media/Policies_Guidelines/G_fluoridetherapy.pdf

Our 18 month appointment wasn't super involved-- just filled out an intake form with the milestone questions, standard height, weight, reflexes, ears etc.  And then answering any questions/concerns.  So I don't think the length of the appointment is too alarming as long as they took time to answer your questions/concerns.  (I wouldn't be too concerned about generic bug spray or toenail answers because I think those probably are low on the pedi's level of expertise, but I would expect them to listen to and have advice on your diet questions).  But being dead wrong on fluoride is a red flag to me-- when doctors don't follow the medical guidelines on something, you gotta wonder what else they aren't following.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"