Breastfeeding
Options

BF Toddler Suddenly Obsessed with Bottle

MrsBigTimeMrsBigTime member
edited May 2014 in Breastfeeding
My 17 month old has recently become obsessed with her bottle. Since she is eating solids, obviously, she now will only rarely have a bottle for nap times when my DH is home with her during the day (maybe she has 2 a week...maybe), and she nurses in the morning and before sleep. She never seemed to care about a bottle before, but as of last week, she is obsessed with one. She is typically very easy to put down, but the last week or so she will cry and cry (for up to 45 minutes) asking for "Ba-ba!"

She has her pacifier as normal (which is now only for car rides and sleep) but she wants a bottle too. Tonight, I gave her a bottle of water and she didn't seem to care, it seems to be more about the act of having something to drink. FWIW she has had plenty of liquids today so I don't think she's actually thirsty, but she may be. I don't know. 

Part of me doesn't think having a bottle of water with bedtime is a big deal, and part of me doesn't want her to get attached to something we are going to have to break. 

Have any of you every experienced something like this? Do you have any advice for me? Thank you!

Anniversary g
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: BF Toddler Suddenly Obsessed with Bottle

• Options
    i don't think it's a big deal if you're just giving her water. captain obvious here, but she probably is just thirsty! i don't think it's a habit that needs to be broken later, either, since it's not really harmful (at least not for a while- maybe when nighttime potty training you'd want to move away from it).

my DS often asks for water before bed (if he hasn't gotten his fill of bath water ;) ). it's getting warmer now and he sweats a lot during the day, and he will just guzzle water.

• Options
    Thank you so much for your responses! I gave her a full cup of water before bed tonight, and she didn't seem to guzzle her bottle at bedtime, either. She has turned down sippy cups before nap times, but I haven't tried putting her to bed with one. 

I guess there are worse things to freak out about than wether or not my kid goes to bed with a bottle of water! There are worse addictions for sure!!

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"