Third-Party Reproduction

Shared Risk?

Has anyone done shared risk with IVF?  We have 5 embryos and plan on only transferring one so we are thinking of sharing, but I don't know anything about it, how it works, or what the legalities, etc.  Any advice/comments appreciated!
*****siggy*****
Me: 33 (Mosaic Turner's Syndrome/POF) 
DH: 35 (no male factor)
3/10 - Foster Mr. T for 1 month
3/11 - Foster AL for 1 year
7/11 Known donor retrieval 7 fertilized 
7/11 DE Transfer -BFP & 5 FE
4/9/12 Miracle baby girl arrives!
Planning for FET 7/14

Re: Shared Risk?

• MrsT4MrsT4 member
    edited May 2014

From my understanding, the term “shared risk” applies when two or more couples share a fresh IVF cycle, most commonly an egg donor cycle, where they split the eggs and therefore offset some of the costs associated with paying an egg donor, etc.

What you are describing (I think) sounds more like “embryo donation” as you already have 5 frozen embryos and plan to transfer one in July. Assuming this cycle is successful and your family is complete, it sounds like you want to donate the remaining 4 embryos – is that correct?

While I’m no expert in embryo donation (I would refer you to @Liz4Paw’s blog for more accurate/complete information), I know enough that there are several types of donations possible: open, anonymous and perhaps somewhere in between. I also know that there is no compensation given to the couple donating, but you may be able to offset some of the costs (like embryo storage and legal fees) and you would certainly need a lawyer to draw up a contract between you and the recipient couple.

I would humbly advise you to wait until your family is truly complete before making a donation, as (I, unfortunately, know from experience) not every transfer results in a BFP or a take home baby.

That said, I think it’s wonderful that you are considering donating any extra embryos once your family building is complete. Wishing you lots of luck for your next (and hopefully final!) transfer.

Edited to add: I just realized that you used a "known" donor for your DEgg IVF cycle. I'm not sure if this person also needs to "sign off" on any future donations, but that may be something to look into. Best of luck!

Me: AMA, DOR, undetectable AMH, carrier of SMA, MTHFR homozygous C677T, high cytokines, low IGg B cells, Factor XIII V34l mutation, High Anti-Phosphatidylethanolmine, borderline hypothyroid and mildly insulin resistant.

MH: No known issues, aside from MTHFR.

Recommendations from RI: LIT, Humira, IVIG, Lovenox, Baby Aspirin, Folic Acid, Low-dose synthroid and Metformin.

Currently taking:  Pre-Natal vitamins, Foltanx, Low-dose synthroid and Metformin. 

When cycling also taking: Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, Humira and IVIG.

TTC since 7/11/09..with medical intervention starting in 2010, including 4 failed IVF's and 6 failed IUI's...only "success" was a chemical pregnancy in 11/2012 (credited to use of DE).

FET #1 (11th cycle) on 8/23/13 = BFN.

FET #2 (12th cycle) Transfer of last two (day 6) donor egg blasts on 1/22/14 = BFP, EDD = 10/10/14 (please stick little BOY!)

My favorite breed:

***PAIF/SAIF always welcome***

• J&D2007J&D2007 member
    The term 'shared risk' to me has always meant that a ivf clinic offers you a set number of ivf cycles and if they are not successful, you get all or part of your money back. Not sure how that would apply to your situation, but as pp stated you can ask liz4paws about the specifics of embryo donation. I agree that you should definitely wait til you have a baby in your arms before you make that decision. Good luck
    Me: 37, DH: 38: ttc 7 years, dx: unknown
    10/11: after 2 years, saw a RE, FSH 5.4
    11/11: BFP! (surprise after thyroid & normal hsg),
    12/11: missed m/c after 7 week u/s, 1/12: D&C
    6/12 IUI#1-IUI #3: clomid = BFP!, C/P
    IVF #1(10/12) FSH 5.4, AFC: 16 long Lupron, 5R/5M/4F, all 4 made it to 5dt, 1 blast/1-8 cell transferred=BFN
    IVF #2(12/12)AFC 21, MD lupron, 4R/4M/3F, 5dt of 1 blast and 2-8cell. BFN.
    IVF#3(4/13) Natural start antagon protocol, 12R,11F. one PGS normal at day 6 transfer. BFN.
    IVF#4 (11/13) C.CRM (ODW.U normal 8/13 Still no Diagnosis) EPP/antagonist. ER 13R/7M/6F. Only 1 made it to freeze. Abnormal. Looking into options of DE, Fresh vs frozen.
    10/14 new local RE to look into what's next. CD3 FSH 4.7, AMH 0.9. Met with DE agencies and exploring options for feb/march 2015.
    Surprise natural bfp (4 days before donor is signed). Beta #1 at 9dpo: 51.8, 2nd beta: 195 (25 hours doubling) @11dpo. 3rd beta (12/15): 516 (35 hrs doubling) 4th beta(12/17): 895 (58 hours doubling) 5th beta(12/19): 2120. U/S at 5w0d(12/22): one gestational sac with yolk sac. U/S #2 (6w0d)12/29. One little bean measuring 6w0d with HR 124. 3rd u/s(1/4)7w0d: baby measuring 7w2d. HR 134. 3/30: A/S at MFM went great except for low lying placenta. Verifi results are normal! Team Blue! Please send any positive thoughts our way! EDD:8/24/2015
    Baby Will born 8/18. He's perfect.
  • Loading the player...
  • What the previous posters said. Not sure if you think you can get $ but you can't "sell" existing embryos to recoup some of your cost ( not sure if that is what you,meant but that's how I read it)

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Definitely don't want to sell the remaining embryos @Mrs.McIrish!  Sorry it was read that way.  We are looking to donate like @MrsT4 mentioned.  I just didn't know if there was something where the people we'd be giving them to would cycle at the same time as us - I guess shared risk was the wrong terminology -  because we have multiple embryos frozen together.  We're only using one, and I didn't want the other one in the same straw to go to waste.  That is what I meant by shared risk - that they would share in the risk of the embryos thawing or not thawing correctly.  I should have expanded on what I said before.
    *****siggy*****
    Planning for FET 7/14

• @J&D2007 that is good advice.  VERY good advice.  
    *****siggy*****
    Planning for FET 7/14

• Lol, ok good!!! Just wanted to be sure! Hope you weren't offended. If you want to donate the other one frozen in the straw, I'd ask your clinic if they have a waiting list? I'm not sure how typical it is to donate one and for a specific transfer date?? But def wait to donate the others until you have your THB!

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Have you talked with your doc about possibly refreezing your remaining embryos? We had planned on doing this with our donor embryos that were frozen together, but we didn't have enough survive to make refreezing worthwhile. We ended up just transferring all of our surviving embryos.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• @Mrs.McIrish not offended at all!  I will ask about the waiting list!

@Twinkle0612 we haven't talked to them about refreezing - I actually don't know if they do it or not.  I'll ask that too.  :)  

I just hope that we could thaw some but not all of them so we can give the ones away IF we get a BFP.
    *****siggy*****
    Planning for FET 7/14

• @sarahjeri - not to be a negative Nancy, but here is our track record with FET

FET #1 - two thawed (same straw), both survived and transferred (BFN)
    FET #2 - two thawed (same straw), neither survived no transfer
    FET #3 - two thawed (same straw), both survived but only one really looked good (5AA), we figured we might as well transfer the other one too (stayed compacted and didn't expand). Both were graded the same at time of freezing. We are pregnant with a singleton.

Here is the kicker - we didn't know whether we would transfer anything until THE MORNING OF. It truly sucks. So, while I incredibly applaud you for thinking of others the reality of the situation/timing is tricky.

I wouldn't want to be the woman who has already taken drugs is ready for a transfer and then gets nothing because you happen to need both embies in that straw. I'm sure you wouldn't want that either.

I hope you can give some away eventually too!
    TTC #1 since 12/2010 DH: MFI, cancer survivor Me: Resected septate uterus, lap treated mild endo, tubes open, ovulate on own, autoimmune disease 3 Failed IUI's (2/2012, 4/2012, 6/2012) 
    IVF #1 August 2012. BFP! Beta #1 56.7 Beta #2 150 One baby, one heartbeat on 9/20/12! no h/b @7w6d. dandc @8w0d
    FET #1 December 2012, BFN
    FET #2 February 2013, no embies survived thaw
    IVF #2, BFP #2, Loss #2 March 2013, Scar tissue discovered, RPL testing,
    IVF #3, BFP #3, Loss #3 (twins) September 2013
    Hostile ute, moving onto Gestational Carrier!

GC/FET #1 of 1 5AA blast and 1 compacted blast, February 2014, BFP #4 on 3/1/2014!
    6w u/s 1 bean with h/b of 145 bpm, 8w u/s 187 bpm
    EDD 11/7/14. Please, please, please stick little one!

Praying unceasingly for a miracle. ALL welcome!

• @lincoln79 good point.  I actually just found out that they froze our embies individually so finding someone now would be moot point... might as well wait until we are done like you said.  

Also, I don't think you're being a negative nancy, just giving me the facts.  And I appreciate it.  
    *****siggy*****
    Planning for FET 7/14

• Everyone has already made good points, so I am just going to agree and say wait until your done to figure out what to do with any remaining embryo's, because way to much can happen.

April 2013 DE IVF= BFN

September 2013 DE IVF (Fingers Crossed) = BFFFN! again...

October 2013 FET of our last 2 = Beta Hellzz for 6-7 Weeks. M/C

• *****siggy*****
    Planning for FET 7/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board