Parenting

Swim Lessons

I just signed my 3.5 year old up for swim lessons thinking it would a good activity for him. I told my friend about it, and she sounded slightly horrified that I would do that. Am I crazy? Can 3.5 year olds take swim lessons without it being a complete disaster? He will be in there with a class while I watch from the hallway through the glass.
DS <October 2010>

Re: Swim Lessons

• He will love it.  Mine has been doing it since he was 2.5.  My kid is no Michael Phelps but at least he has a good time. ;)

Now I am all into that ISR which could be a little horrifying.  But it facinates me!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DD is in her 6th session of swim lessons, so I don't find lessons for 3 year-olds odd at all!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jorkz821 said:
    I'm not following what's horrifying about learning water safety at a young age?

I'm stuck in the box:
    She recently got an email about the dangers of secondary drowning, so now she's paranoid that any kid in the water is going to fall victim.  
    DS <October 2010>
  • Thanks for all the feedback. I didn't think it seemed that crazy. He doesn't really have any water experience outside of blowup kiddie pools in the yard and the bathtub, but I want to give him the opportunity to get in the water and actually learn something. 
    DS <October 2010>
  • I used to teach swimming at the y. 3 is a great age to start lessons.
    D13 June Siggy Challenge Awkward (Awesome) Bathing Suits
    photo d5230f4f-07cc-4b75-b11c-da060b42a66d.jpg
  • MrsJakes said:

jorkz821 said:

I'm stuck in the box:
    She recently got an email about the dangers of secondary drowning, so now she's paranoid that any kid in the water is going to fall victim.  

Oh wow. Yeah, she's the crazy one. I'm pretty sure the stats of actual drowning are significantly higher than that of secondary drowning, no?
    SQUIRREL!!!

• jorkz821 said:
    jorkz821 said:

I'm stuck in the box:
    Oh wow. Yeah, she's the crazy one. I'm pretty sure the stats of actual drowning are significantly higher than that of secondary drowning, no?
    Yes, I would imagine so. I rolled my eyes at her comments, but it got me thinking that maybe I was jumping the gun on the lessons. I'm happy to see that I'm not the crazy one. 
    DS <October 2010>
  • KTdiditKTdidit member
    WTH is secondary drowning? I plan on signing DS1 up during the next round of classes at the Y, he will be 4 then. I think learning to swin early is super important. I don't understand the adults that don't know how to swim. But I was in competitive swim when I was a kid all the way up through HS. My boys will definitely take lessons early.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I don't think it's abnormal. We just did a session and it was a complete disaster, but my kiddo is SN, so I think it's more related to that than his age.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • minervacullenminervacullen member
    edited May 2014
    I plan to start DD this summer, she's almost 18m. It's parent and child at this age.
    DS is 7 and started at 6, I regret not doing it sooner. He will do his third session this summer.

Edit autocorrect

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Is her plan to avoid all water then, so she misses the risk of secondary drowning?

It's far safer for children to be able to swim than not.

image image
  • Is her plan to avoid all water then, so she misses the risk of secondary drowning? It's far safer for children to be able to swim than not.
    The secondary drowning was her reasoning today since it's fresh on her mind, but I think it's more about her insecurity with sending her own kid into a swimming class without her.  
    DS <October 2010>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"