Parenting

PR: why is my kid so sad?

I mentioned before that DS is suddenly SUPER clingy to me. He won't even eat unless he's sitting on my lap or directly next to me at the dinner table. He's never gone through a mom or dad phase like this. DH says he sobs at daycare drop off everyday...like seriously loses his shit, sometimes laying on the floor and screaming. This is also new. Yesterday, when I picked him up, his teachers said he was really emotional all day. They seemed concerned. He's usually perfect at daycare, before all this they said they had never even seen him cry. He's also having crazy tantrums at home, crazier than his usual. We did go visit my parents last week, got back Thursday. He also mentioned that two kids (he identified them by name) are mean and hit...but we didn't get many details because he's 2.5, not the best historian. Could he still be off because of the trip? Is he being bullied? I'm starting to get actually concerned because his teachers seemed concerned and they're with kids all day.

Any advice, ideas, similar experiences?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                                     DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black

Re: PR: why is my kid so sad?

• I sure hope he's not sick, he just had a damn stomach bug a few weeks ago. He is sleeping worse too and going to bed poorly. We want daycare to drop his nap because he doesn't take one on the weekends. On school days he's been not falling asleep until like ten instead of his usual 8, 8:30.

DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black
  • For us it will definitely mean getting sick.

Our speech therapists son always refuses to ride the bus before he gets sick.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Loading the player...
  • Hmmm I don't know about sickness. This has been going on for over a week. Wouldn't he have gotten sick by now?

DS is 1DAF

• Has it just been happening since you went to visit your parents? Has there been any changes at his daycare? 

Spending extra time with me and some changes at daycare have caused this same reaction in my son. We had a fun Memorial Day long weekend, and the last 3 days, he's cried at drop-off (he has gone to this school for 6 months and hasn't cried a single day). His teacher says he talks a lot about the things we did, and then starts acting a little down like he's reminiscing and missing me. They've also had a lot of kids leave for the summer, so several of his friends have left which makes it harder for him to just play and forget about home.  
    DS <October 2010>
  • Second the getting sick idea, sorry. I hope things go back to normal soon!
    SQUIRREL!!!

• It has been since we got back so I guess I could just be the trip. My parents spoil the heck out of him for sure.

DS is 1DAF

• KTdiditKTdidit member
    Maybe he hasn't adjusted back to his normal schedule since the trip? DS1 gets like that after long weekends or vacations, he just wants to keep staying home with me. As for the kids hitting, have you talked to the DC teacher? Do they have video that you could see?
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I would think it's residual from the trip, possibly a big developmental time, and that the DCPs should keep a closer eye out for bullying.

I am sorry he's have a tough time :(  It's not easy being a little person.

• Is it psycho to ask about his mean kids allegations? I don't want to become "that mom" to his teachers. I just never know what's normal to worry about and what's over the top since I tend to worry about a variety of subjects.

DS is 1DAF

• cedentoncedenton member
    edited May 2014
    Except for the sleep and the extra tantrums at home (well, they seem normal for an almost 2 yr old to me) I'd say we have a similar situation.  He's been super clingy and daycare drop offs have been terrible for a couple of months. He seems to finally be coming out of it a little bit.

I'm no help. I just assumed it was a new phase and normal. He's always been super social and unless in a transition was fine at drop offs until this started.  I hope you figure it out.

I don't think there's anything wrong with talking to the teachers. They've already said they are concerned.
  • Is it psycho to ask about his mean kids allegations? I don't want to become "that mom" to his teachers. I just never know what's normal to worry about and what's over the top since I tend to worry about a variety of subjects.

I think you could mention it to them. What's the age grouping of his dc room?
    SQUIRREL!!!

• Mags748Mags748 member
    Not sure if it's related but this is a thing around 2.5. I had a pediatric nursing clinical at a daycare and they let us help out in every single age group but the 2.5 to three year old group because of how sensitive they are with attachment at that developmental age. Also, my son went to daycare from 3 months on and never cried at drop off until around 2.5 years old. He didn't switch teachers or anything at that time but he cried at drop off for months to the point where he would have to hang out in the office with the administrator to calm down (he wanted to hang out with her). It got better several months later but lasted a while.
    imageimage
    Since they have been talking to you/YH about his changes in mood and his clinginess, it wouldn't make you look like "that parent." You're just trying to get to the bottom of it, and I'm sure they'll understand that.

• Ok, maybe I'll bring that up with daycare tomorrow. Just got him and they said he was sad all morning, but not all day like yesterday. His class age range is like 2.3 years to a little over 3.

DS is 1DAF

• DD is 2.5 and is going through something like this. She keeps telling me she is nervous and anxious, but can't really go beyond that. I am not sure that she understands what nervous or anxious really mean. Hope this is just a little phase they go through at this age, poor littles.

• I'm gonna go love tit everybody in here now. Thanks!

DS is 1DAF

• I am late on this, but my DD went through this around that age. Last about 3 weeks and then she went back to being happy all the time. I hope it's just a phase for you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Update: he began coughing last night, kept me up basically all night and had a fever this morning. So, maybe this is what it is all about and it will be over when this illness ends?! If so, you all are parenting geniuses obviously.

DS is 1DAF

• Poor baby. My son went through this as well. He was very emotional, and I must be a sucker for a sad face, but I gave into every bit of his sadness. I took the time and used itas bonding time as well. leaving them behind to go to work was the worst. But he got over it and I think he secretly loves me more for babying him. Hubby says I'm letting him be that way, but honesty he is so independent right now that he doesn't even want me wiping his butt anymore, "I can do it!"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"