3rd Trimester
Options

Almost 38 weeks, no leakage

So I am two days away from being 38 weeks, and I have had absolutely no leakage. My boobs grew initially about 1 cup size and that's it (this was early on in my pregnancy). Has anybody else had this issue and did your milk come in after baby was born or never did? I want to breastfeed, but I am prepared incase it doesn't work out and I have had this nagging feeling it isn't going to happen since I'm not leaking.

Re: Almost 38 weeks, no leakage

• Options
    I never leaked with my dd. I had a c section with her at 39 weeks and my milk came in around 3 days after. Nursed for 13 months... So leaking is definitely not an indicator of if you'll be successful!

Married 8.1.2010
    DD #1: Arrived 10.7.2011
    TTC #2 Since March 2013
    BFP 5.20.2013, EDD 1.26.2014, natural mc @ 5 wks 5.25.2013
    BFP 6.21.2013, EDD 3.14.2014, Twins - missed mc @ 7w6d, D&C 8.6.2013
    BFP 10.7.2013, EDD June 20 2014 - It's a GIRL!   

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't leak before DS was born and had minimal cup increase (I got big once my milk came in, though).  DS was EBF until his first birthday.  Your milk will come in whether or not you leak.  I agree with PP to get help while in the hospital with the LCs on duty.  There are also plenty of LCs available outside of the hospital if you need continued support.  Our pediatrician actually has one on staff which made it super easy for us.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ncbellencbelle member
    Doesn't mean a thing!!  I don't leak while pregnant (and my wee A cups don't really grow!) yet I have plenty of milk once baby is here.

If you haven't already, check out kellymom.com - great info there on breastfeeding that would be a good read to help you prepare.  I'm also happy to answer questions (I'm a peer counselor with Breastfeeding USA).  Ask for help if you need it!!
  • Options
    I didn't leak at all. My milk came in at day 5 and nursed her with no formula until 15 months.
    BFP #1 4/6/09; EDD 12/6/09; miscarriage 4/10/09..............BFP #2 5/3/09; DD born 1/9/10........BFP #3 12/15/12, EDD 8/31/13; baby stopped growing at 5w3d; natural miscarriage..........BFP #4 2/8/13, EDD 10/20/13; missed miscarriage discovered 9w2d; d/c.......BFP #5 10/22/13, EDD 7/8/13; miscarriage 10/28/13..... BFP #6 11/19/13; DS born 7/29/14 {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    Yep, same.  Never leaked at all until my milk came in a couple days PP (with both previous pregnancies).
    Photoset 15 of 15

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I never leaked prior to having DS1 and my milk came in just fine after he was born. I have yet to leak this pregnancy and I'm sure my milk will be a okay.

not everyone leaks before having baby!
  • Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    I did not leak.  Even after he was born I only leaked once.  He slept about 6 hours straight and then only nurse one side.  We both went back to sleep.  When I woke up again the side he hadn't nursed on hurt and had leaked some.  That was it.  He's almost 21 months and I still have the same box of nursing pads I bought when I was pregnant with him.  And we are still breastfeeding.  
  • Options
    alysonmhalysonmh member
    edited May 2014
    I never leaked before giving birth and my milk didn't come in until 2-3 days after I gave birth which I think is pretty common. I doubt you have anything to worry about.
  • Options
    ivyrebivyreb member
    Wow, wonderful to hear how successful everyone was! I never leaked, and I had to supplement with formula from the get go with both my kids (and most likely with my third, who's due in 5 weeks). So, I guess I'm offering you a different side of this!

I had every intention to EBF my kids. I didn't introduce formula until my 1st daughter was 4 days old, when she'd lost weight and my husband was crying for me to please give her something other than trying to nurse her. The doctors were freaking out, everyone was. Having heard all about not introducing a bottle or anything, I was very firm, but finally agreed to breastfeed AND use formula. My supply was super low. Despite power pumping, taking medication and working with a lactation consultant, nothing helped. Even my LC finally encouraged me to use formula exclusively and not feel bad. I did still nurse as much as I could (seriously, it was soooo minimal) for 4 months.

So, just in case, if you end up like me and need any support, send me a message. I had a super supportive family and doctors and LC, but plenty of other mothers I met in various settings and in mama FB groups were clearly judging me every time I whipped out that bottle. Can you imagine feeling like you have to explain yourself, your shame and heartache, every time you fed your baby in public? It broke my heart again and again. Even now I'm trying not to dread the looks I'm sure I'll get with baby #3. I'm stronger now, but it still sucks.
    I don't really know how to properly end this! So...
    Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am 37 weeks, my boobs have not grown at all I am still an A and they never hurt and still dont.  I plan on breastfeeding and pumping. People tell me that milk will come in 3-5 days after baby is born.  I am having a c section as well.  I was told not to worry.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"