Preemies

New preemie Mom...leaving the hospital without my babies :(

Hello ladies...I had our twins May 24th at 4:52 and 4:53 am due to preterm labor that they could not stop after magnesium. Thankfully I did get the 2 rounds if steroid shots in. My little boy, Harrison has struggled more than my daughter Lillian. We have not been able to hold him yet as he needed low stimulation to ease his breathing. I am being discharged today...not sure how to walk out of the hospital leaving them both here in the NICU. I know in reality we are lucky, but these next few weeks are going to be hard...today will be the hardest...
Me, 36
DH, 44
TTC since 2008
IVF in Oct 2013
5R, 4F, Only 2 blasts made it, both transferred
10-31-2013 = BFP
TWINS!! Due July 11, 2014
Lillian & Harrison born at 33w1d on May 24, 2014

Re: New preemie Mom...leaving the hospital without my babies :(

• MrsKStoneMrsKStone member
    edited May 2014
    Its a terrible feeling....My son is 27 days old now (still in nicu) and I still remember that first day leaving him here. I cried myself to sleep when I got home but it was important to let those emotions/feelings out. Congrats on the twins! And welcome.... Everyone is so great and supportive here!
  • Congratulations on the birth of Harrison and Lillian! I know the feeling of leaving the hospital without your little ones suck big time. I agree with calling to check in and try going in when it is their care time-changing diapers/feeding. That made me feel like I was more involved with taking care of him instead of just visiting. Praying for a short and uneventful NICU stay for your babies! This board is a huge help to getting through the NICU.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • nikkiuknikkiuk member
    Awww hugs to you and congrats on the babies. It totally sucks to leave the hospital knowing what you're leaving behind, albeit temporarily. I got through that initially by reminding myself that my baby is safe from harm, has 24 hour medical assistance on tap and God forbid if anything should happen, I know he will get immediate help. That's not something we can provide at home of course.

It's such a difficult and unique situation and it will be very tough, I don't think anyone here would tell you otherwise. Definitely call in to check on them. I find that to be hugely important to keep me going at the times I can't get in as much as I want to. 
    Master of 'the look' 
  • Congrats on the birth of those precious little ones.  We are team purple too.  It will be a tough journey, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  As soon as your babies are strong enough they will be home with you.  

Those calls to the NICU at all hours of the day helped me keep my sanity.  

Beckett Rilee & Caitlyn Leigh born 9-21-13 @ 27w due to PPROM

• KTZ17KTZ17 member
    Oh my god, I remember them wheeling me through the lobby to those doors and I just thought this is not how I wanted to leave the hospital, in a wheelchair with no baby. It is so hard. Hugs, mama. They did wheel me out with her in the wheelchair in her carseat when she was discharged though and we got the classic "leaving the hospital" photo!! Congrats on your babies! And if you were due July 11, at how many weeks gestation were they born? 32? I ask cause I was due July 16 and dd was born last may at 31 weeks 3 days. I wish you a short & uneventful NICU stay and hope those babies are leaving with you ASAP!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Congratulations on your little ones! Like these ladies have said, it's never easy leaving your babies behind. I remember feeling so cheated rolling out those doors without my daughter, but it does get easier, and you'll fall into the NICU routine. The nurses were a huge help and comfort, and we definitely had our favorites that would give her extra cuddles when we couldn't be there and patiently answering all my questions and my 4 am phone calls. Wishing you a short and uneventful stay!
  • Congratulations on the birth of your twins! It is so hard to be discharged without your babies. I sobbed the entire way home the first night I left without DS. It gets easier though. Hang in there!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Pips09Pips09 member
    Congrats on your babies! I remember that feeling of leaving the hospital alone, it is the worst feeling. Good luck to all of you.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Congrats on your twins! It's definitely the worst feeling leaving babies at the NICU but remember they're in the best place they can be. It's okay to cry, I cried most nights. Good luck and I hope you have a short uneventful NICU stay!
    image image
    Married 8/9/13
    Ashton James Rogers 10/29/13

image  image
  • Congrats on your twins. I have id twin girls who are now 20 months old. It was so tough leaving the hospital with no babies. I admit I cried. And I was back super early the next morning and rest of their stay. When you leave the nicu you will cry too bc the nurses become like family but you be excited to get your babies home.

• Welcome and congratulations. Like the others said. It sucks. I cried. I sat on the hospital hallway floor crying. I collapsed in the garage and cried the whole way home. My heart broke. I was the worst mom ever. But I wasn't. I went home and took a shower and slept in my bed and thought about my son every second. We called and checked on him before bed and as soon as I got up. Then went right back the next day.

It doesn't get easier but it gets a bit more acceptable as time goes on. I hope your babies are home soon!!
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Congratulations! Know you aren't alone in your feelings--it was so hard leaving her behind, but I realized that it was the best place for her, though not easy. I called a lot and asked for updates, as well as being there as much as we could. We live about 20min away, so it wasn't too had.

Hoping for a short and uneventful stay for your twins!
  • OdebdoOdebdo member
    Thanks everyone...I lived through it...cried and held onto my husbands hand the whole way home...the babies are now 2 weeks old, still in the NICU and we had settled into a new routine, which will be easier now that I am released to drive from my c section.
    Me, 36
    DH, 44
    TTC since 2008
    IVF in Oct 2013
    5R, 4F, Only 2 blasts made it, both transferred
    10-31-2013 = BFP
    TWINS!! Due July 11, 2014
    Lillian & Harrison born at 33w1d on May 24, 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"