VBAC

Any Unsuccessful VBAC stories?

I had my first son as an induction, and the labor was beautiful, despite the pitocin and epidural. It was magical :)

My daughter had sever IUGR, and I was induced at 37 weeks, but even though I was progressing, the placenta could not handle labor and I had over 50% abruption
and was rushed to an emergency c-section, so fast that my husband did not have time to get dressed. 

This was 1 year ago, and I am due in November. I have always said that I will go for a VBAC, and my OB supports whatever decision that I make because I have a proven pelvis, however just a few months ago, an acquaintance was laboring her VBAC, and the uterus ruptured and the cord was clamped, and the baby was lost just moments before delivery.

This story is so fresh in my mind, that I am having a hard time going for a VBAC. Are there any more stories like this? Is this a rarity?  
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Any Unsuccessful VBAC stories?

• What she said ^^^^^

Married 8.1.2010
    DD #1: Arrived 10.7.2011
    TTC #2 Since March 2013
    BFP 5.20.2013, EDD 1.26.2014, natural mc @ 5 wks 5.25.2013
    BFP 6.21.2013, EDD 3.14.2014, Twins - missed mc @ 7w6d, D&C 8.6.2013
    BFP 10.7.2013, EDD June 20 2014 - It's a GIRL!   

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm sorry!! I really am! I wasn't trying to bring anyone down, but the truth is..... this complication is a reality of a VBAC. 

I absolutely LOVE the positive stories, I just now have this 'still fresh' fear in mind! I have known no one personally to attempt a VBAC, and then this story comes along, so other than internet stories I have nothing to go off of. 

I am wondering if this is more of a rarity or if maybe these stories just do not get told very often.

I want a healthy child first and foremost, but getting another vaginal birth would be my dream. However, to not accept the risks would be irresponsible. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I hear you . I struggle with this decision everyday of this pregnancy . It has been so anxiety provoking for me . It is the hardest decision I have ever faced and may ever face ?
  • I am fully aware of the risks - and the statistical likelihood of said risks. I've made the decision to attempt a VBAC because I do believe it is the healthier and safer option for both me and my baby.

There are of course stories of when things go wrong and end horribly - same goes with c sections. Honestly, the only way I avoid feeling anxious is to avoid "worst case scenario" stories - focusing on the negative isn't going to help. And I do believe they are a rarity and far more often everything goes smoothly.

It's a very difficult decision to make and ultimately you have to do what you are most comfortable with! The best we can all do is make an INFORMED decision for our health and our babies.

Married 8.1.2010
    DD #1: Arrived 10.7.2011
    TTC #2 Since March 2013
    BFP 5.20.2013, EDD 1.26.2014, natural mc @ 5 wks 5.25.2013
    BFP 6.21.2013, EDD 3.14.2014, Twins - missed mc @ 7w6d, D&C 8.6.2013
    BFP 10.7.2013, EDD June 20 2014 - It's a GIRL!   

BabyFruit Ticker
  • lamcoxlamcox member
    I haven't decided what I'll do yet, some days I'm going to VBAC, others, have a RCS.

I've heard really bad stories (baby or mother loss) and I've heard of stories where nothing bad happened, but the mother, after a very long labor, had to go to RCS for one reason or another. 

That's really what I struggle with, not so much the chance of something really bad happening, but having another labor like my daughter's - progressed great, pushed for 3 hours, and she just wouldn't come out right (she kept her shoulders turned after many doctor's attempts to fix it).  My body felt like I had 2 births....one vaginal, one through C/S.  I do NOT want to do that again. 

The midwives at my practice have been great..so have the doctors.  What I'm thinking about right now is scheduling a C/S on my DD (or very close) and if baby comes early then try for a VBAC.  The practice still wants to review my operative report though, to make sure they are advising me the right way....at 16 weeks, I've got time.

Good luck!

• lamcoxlamcox member
    I haven't decided what I'll do yet, some days I'm going to VBAC, others, have a RCS.

I've heard really bad stories (baby or mother loss) and I've heard of stories where nothing bad happened, but the mother, after a very long labor, had to go to RCS for one reason or another. 

That's really what I struggle with, not so much the chance of something really bad happening, but having another labor like my daughter's - progressed great, pushed for 3 hours, and she just wouldn't come out right (she kept her shoulders turned after many doctor's attempts to fix it).  My body felt like I had 2 births....one vaginal, one through C/S.  I do NOT want to do that again. 

The midwives at my practice have been great..so have the doctors.  What I'm thinking about right now is scheduling a C/S on my DD (or very close) and if baby comes early then try for a VBAC.  The practice still wants to review my operative report though, to make sure they are advising me the right way....at 16 weeks, I've got time.

Good luck!

• @lamcox- That is actually what I struggle with as well, and.... Hey!! We must be the same same birth month! I am almost 15 weeks, due Nov 17! 

I have kind of the same plan, scheduling a RCS, and then if the baby comes early, seeing how fast I am progressing, and how the baby handles it. 

I have 3 friends who recently gave birth via RCS, and they said that the recovery from a c-section after a failed labor is MUCH harder than a scheduled c-section.
  • I'm still debating . My planned c- section was basically easy . I really do not want a vbac to turn into an emergency c section !
  • I had a VBAC and to be honest I was actually planning a repeat c-section because as my high risk doc put it he "wouldn't let his wife or daughter VBAC." I had a precipitous labor though and I went from 4cm to 10cm in an hour. As my OB was running down the hall I was starting to push! He was born 20 min later and all was well thankfully. I would only ever VBAC in a big hospital where they have the resources and staff to get you into a c-section quickly if needed!
  • That is an awful story! so sorry for that family!

from the research i've done..that is really rare. and Dr's often don't tell you that you also have a rare chance of your uterus rupturing during labour even when you've never had a csection. I don't know the stats off hand for this but i believe the chances were less than 5%. I would suggest that you look up the stats on the maternal mortality rate of RCS..it's significantly higher than with a VBAC (I believe the infant mortality rates are pretty close between a RCS and a VBAC though)

The best thing you can do is research this yourself (as many doctors are not necessarily up on current research) and make an informed decision. ICAN, AGOG and SOGoG are great places to start research..

Good luck!
  • That is rare, and just because your uterus ruptures doesn't mean that you'll lose your baby, those are just 2 bad things that happened.  I'm not pg yet (hopefully in the next couple of months) and I'm planning a VBA2C.  I have to switch docs as many aren't open to much over VBAC but I wan't to try for another vaginal birth (DS1 was born vaginally).  If I end up with another c/s then I think I'd just c/s from here on out, but I don't want to opt for such a big surgery.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • edan3579edan3579 member
    edited May 2014
    Yep. It is rare, but it does happen and I think it is good to think about all the possible scenarios ahead of time. It happened to me, and I am so grateful that my LO was okay, but it was certainly no fun.

After my experience I scoured the web trying to find similar stories and there are very few out there. I think that and the fact that my hospital presented my case to the students and residents suggests it is definitely rare.

I would just suggest that if you are having pain on top of the epi that doesn't go away between contractions, make sure the docs do something, even if the baby's heart rate is not showing signs of distress and make sure your SO knows to advocate for you in this situation too. It all just happened so fast and I was so out of it because of the pain. I ended up pushing for well over an hour after I ruptured and ended up tearing my bladder and cervix also... But again, just so lucky my baby was fine!
  • HTBaby13HTBaby13 member
    edited May 2014
    @edan3579 thank you for sharing your experience .
  • No problem. I am happy to provide more detail about the experience if anyone is interested, but I also don't want to freak anyone out... I thought with such a small likelihood, it won't happen to me, but I guess it has to happen to someone. I totally understand that a vbac can be a wonderful experience, but I don't think it hurts to be well educated on the signs that something is not right.
  • Mine was unsuccessful in the way that I ended up with a RCS but nothing bad happened. No rupture and the baby was fine. My first c/s was for failure to progress (stalled at 4cm) and my VBAC attempt stalled out at 6cm. Both labors were induced after my due date. I would attempt a VBA2C with #3 if I actually went into labor on my own but the odds are against me.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • @edan3579‌ if you don't mind me asking, how far apart was your c section and attempted VBAC?
  • Sorry. Just saw this question. C section and attempted vbac were 21 months apart.
  • Great point, @edan3579, about being aware of the signs that something isn't right. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"