Georgia Babies

Moving to Area - Need Advice!

Hi all!

DH and I currently live in Philly, but are in the final steps of a move to ATL!  He got a great job offer, and my job will likely be letting me work remotely. ATL has appeal because his parents live there, we currently have no family here in Philly and are now parents to a two month baby girl :)  His parents live to the south of the city, in Newnan.  I'm trying to get an idea of neighborhoods we should check out, but almost everything talks about the northern suburbs.  While they do seem quite nice, it would defeat the purpose of moving closer to have family help out if we are that far away!  Commute is not an issue, as I will be at home working and my husband will either be traveling out of the area or working from home too.

Any advice for a great family community either in atlanta or one of the southern suburbs?  Needs great schools of course.  I love a sense of a neighborhood, not just plazas of stores (aka coffee shops, farmers markets, areas to walk/run, etc).  So far I've considered Peachtree City, but also Decatur, Grant Park, East Atlanta, since I am a bit of a city girl at heart. 

Would love your thoughts, thanks!

Re: Moving to Area - Need Advice!

• If you are from Philly (from the burbs of Philly myself), and a city girl at heart all the neighborhoods you mentioned in town are funky and great. For families Decatur is wonderful and has a real sense of community. I can't speak to the schools in those areas, but for unique shopping and great restaurants Decatur and East Atlanta have quite a bit. You may also want to check out Kirkwood (between East Atlanta and Decatur) for reasonably priced homes and the Oakhurst neighborhood in Decatur.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • slwprincessslwprincess member
    edited December 2013
    To be close to his parents, I would go with Peachtree City. It's the only place I would even consider on the southside anymore. I've been spoiled on the north side! I grew up on the southside and all my family is still down there but for DH and I, we can't ever go back. There is just so much more on the north side. But we have had to deal with a crappy commute and being far from family :-(.

• Loading the player...
  • To be close to his parents, I would go with Peachtree City. It's the only place I would even consider on the southside anymore. I've been spoiled on the north side! I grew up on the southside and all my family is still down there but for DH and I, we can't ever go back. There is just so much more on the north side. But we have had to deal with a crappy commute and being far from family :-(.
    Thanks for the advice!  I was just reading it outloud to my DH :)  One question - Why is peachtree city the only place you would consider compared to other southern burbs?  Just trying to get an idea, not that I disagree (or have any knowledge!!) but the fact that you grew up there makes me ask so I can get a better understanding.

Again, I appreciate everyone's feedback!
  • If you are from Philly (from the burbs of Philly myself), and a city girl at heart all the neighborhoods you mentioned in town are funky and great. For families Decatur is wonderful and has a real sense of community. I can't speak to the schools in those areas, but for unique shopping and great restaurants Decatur and East Atlanta have quite a bit. You may also want to check out Kirkwood (between East Atlanta and Decatur) for reasonably priced homes and the Oakhurst neighborhood in Decatur.
    Thanks for the feedback!  Especially being from Philly :) I am all about these neighborhoods but my DH is pushing to be south, closer to his parents.  We shall see...
  • myrallmyrall member
    edited December 2013
    I live in East Point (just above the Atlanta Airport) and love it. I've been here for eight years. We're right on the MARTA line and only 10 miles from Downtown. Home prices here are insanely cheap due to a rapidly changing demographic. Our city has an urban population with a small town feel. East Point is also ITP (inside the perimeter). I sit on the governing board of an awesome charter school and you have the great cities of College Park (home of Atlanta's largest private school Woodward) and Hapeville (the new home of Porsche North America) right next door.

There are some trouble spots in East Point, but no more than you'd find in other urban cities. I encourage you to check it out. Feel free to message me with questions: myraoviatt@gmail.com

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • There are very nice, community-oriented in-town neighborhoods that have good schools. Definitely consider Decatur. Also Candler Park in Atlanta has great schools, neighborhood parks and restaurants you can walk to with lots of young families. Good luck!
  • I honestly don't understand why people trash the southside of town.  There are areas I would steer clear from, but there are areas like Newnan, Sharpsburg, and Peachtree City that are absolutely wonderful communities and have just as much to offer as the Northside of town.  I've lived in Newnan for over 8 years now and love it.  Newnan is such a wonderful area for young families.  Newnan is about 15 minutes west of Peachtree City so you are still close to that area if you would like to go there for shopping or restaurants.  It's also very convenient to I-85 and you can be at the airport in 20 to 30 minutes and Atlanta in 10 more minutes.  As for subdivisions in Newnan, there are many to choose from, but the big ones are Summergrove, Lake Redwine, Newnan Pines, etc. etc.  Coweta County has an excellent school system, too. 
  • speedo130 said:
    To be close to his parents, I would go with Peachtree City. It's the only place I would even consider on the southside anymore. I've been spoiled on the north side! I grew up on the southside and all my family is still down there but for DH and I, we can't ever go back. There is just so much more on the north side. But we have had to deal with a crappy commute and being far from family :-(.
    Thanks for the advice!  I was just reading it outloud to my DH :)  One question - Why is peachtree city the only place you would consider compared to other southern burbs?  Just trying to get an idea, not that I disagree (or have any knowledge!!) but the fact that you grew up there makes me ask so I can get a better understanding.

Again, I appreciate everyone's feedback!
    As far as shopping and restaurants, I just don't think there is enough in the other burbs.  I have friends that live in Newnan, my brother is in Sharpsburg, the rest of my family is in Fayetteville.  They all complain about not having as many options as we have up here.  Peachtree City was a master planned community and they have just done a better job of encouraging businesses to come and stay and have grown nicely over the years.  

• KiminATL said:
    There are very nice, community-oriented in-town neighborhoods that have good schools. Definitely consider Decatur. Also Candler Park in Atlanta has great schools, neighborhood parks and restaurants you can walk to with lots of young families. Good luck!
    Just chiming in on Candler Park.  DH and I took over a year to find our home and we looked in Morningside, Candler Park, and Inman Park.  We ended up in Candler Park and love it.  We can walk to the park and to Little 5 Points, our street has lots of families on it, and when we're at that point, we'll be able to walk to Mary Lin (one of the better intown elementary options).  We are very much aware that private school will be on the table once we get past elementary school, but we're ok with that.

FWIW, I grew up in the northern suburbs and going out there now to visit my parents seems like such a haul.  I don't have any real opinions about stuff to the south side except that I've heard good things about Peachtree City.  To me, a suburb is a suburb is a suburb, though, whether you're on the north or south side of town.
  • If you want to be close to his family to get assistance with your kid(s), 30 minutes or less, Peachtree City sounds like the best option. Its best to rent while checking out other communities for a year.
    ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a lot of friends that live on the south side and love it. If we were going to move down there Peachtree City would be our first choice based on schools and availability of shopping restaurants, etc...Fayetteville has pretty good schools too and would be our second choice. I'm sure some are better than others and requires research. We live in decatur and love it! We love the small town feel living so close to the city. Definitely great for families. Decatur City schools are excellent, as are the other municipalities and services. It's a very welcoming, progressive community around here.
    All that said, if you are wanting to be able to have help with the children and your in laws would babysit and stuff like that, I would probably head south to be closer to them. It takes me 45-1 hour to get to my friends in Newnan and Fayetteville. With traffic the way it is, we just don't hang out like we would want to. It's a haul and your not driving that far to drop in for an hour or two. Good luck with your decision!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Since you mentioned Grant Park and East Atlanta, I'll throw out my neighborhood, which is right between those two. It's called Ormewood Park and it's one of the city's best kept secrets. It's an Intown neighborhood which we love.
    I lived in Peachtree City when I was in Elementary school. It was fine then but I was a kid. I just don't consider it Atlanta.
  • I realize this is an old post but I'll throw in my two cents in case you read it.

I live on the southside. We live in Newnan, in the edge of Sharpsburg. We love it here. My sister lives in Peachtree City, 7 miles from our house.

School system great in Peachtree City and in Newnan but only the side closest to Peachtree City. Just make sure your high school is Northgate not East Coweta.

Plenty of shopping down here. Peachtree City, Sharpsburg, and Newnan are all great places to live. Peachtree City is pretty much built out, so not a lot of new homes being built.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers daisypath PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Unexplained infertility HSG-clear, DH SA-Great 3 cycles Clomid TI with OB/GYN Switched to RE Jan2011 Feb2011 100mg Clomid + trigger + #1 IUI=BFN Mar. 12,2011 100mg Clomid + Estradiol + #2 IUI BFP 3/20/11, Beta #1 12dpiui 174, Beta #2 17dpiui 1660, Beta #3 21dpiui 6687 image
  • This is very helpful b/c we've been renting in Marietta for 2 years but I'm bored out of my mind. Sure, East Cobb schools are great, but I'm willing to consider other areas further south if the elementary schools are good. My little one starts Kinder in August and we need to decide on a new house soon. I'll look into all those areas people have mentioned, thanks!
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Elementary schools are very good in Peachtree City and the North side of Newnan. Just make sure your HS is Northgate.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers daisypath PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Unexplained infertility HSG-clear, DH SA-Great 3 cycles Clomid TI with OB/GYN Switched to RE Jan2011 Feb2011 100mg Clomid + trigger + #1 IUI=BFN Mar. 12,2011 100mg Clomid + Estradiol + #2 IUI BFP 3/20/11, Beta #1 12dpiui 174, Beta #2 17dpiui 1660, Beta #3 21dpiui 6687 image
  • LC122LC122 member

MaxsMom9 said:

I know it's been awhile since you posted, but I just ran across it. If you want to be near Newnan, you could try Douglasville. It's got more of the small town feel than a lot of places in the metro area, good schools, family oriented, about 20 miles west of Atlanta. Coming from Philly it might be too small for you, but it's worth a look. Good luck!

I would not listen to a thing this person says, other than to attempt to move as far as humanly possible from wherever she lives.

Sounds personal.
    Or is it sarcasm, @HilarityEnsued‌ ?
  • LC122 said:

MaxsMom9 said:

I know it's been awhile since you posted, but I just ran across it. If you want to be near Newnan, you could try Douglasville. It's got more of the small town feel than a lot of places in the metro area, good schools, family oriented, about 20 miles west of Atlanta. Coming from Philly it might be too small for you, but it's worth a look. Good luck!

I would not listen to a thing this person says, other than to attempt to move as far as humanly possible from wherever she lives.

Sounds personal.
    Or is it sarcasm, @HilarityEnsued‌ ?

I know nothing about the person who made the suggestion, but Douglasville is no where near Newnan. I live in Newnan.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"