Caribbean Babies

DH's name choices

I really REALLY REALLY hope we have a girl.  His only NMS girl name choice is Isis, which I could learn to live with.  But for boys, he likes Barnabas, Archimedes, and Ramses.  He has shot down my name choices which are Dean, Saul, and Lewis.  I have no idea how we both agreed on DS's name.

We have our a/s on Friday, so that will cut our name choices in half- if Baby is cooperating.  Seriously, though, can someone commiserate with me?  Anyone else have extreme differences in name choices with your SO?

Re: DH's name choices

• What's NMS ?
    I am hoping for a girl too for this reason. DH wants to name a boy Fantino. He wants an Italian name. There are several girls names we both like but I am pretty sure naming a boy is going to cause a war in our house. We aren't even going to get serious about names til we find out the sex.

Nov. '14 January Siggy : Work Sucks!

Me 32-DH 38

Married July 14, 2007  ----- TTC # 1 October 1, 2013
    BFP   March 7, 2014  -----  EDD November 17, 2014 ---- Baby boy born November 16, 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mander82 said:
    What's NMS ? I am hoping for a girl too for this reason. DH wants to name a boy Fantino. He wants an Italian name. There are several girls names we both like but I am pretty sure naming a boy is going to cause a war in our house. We aren't even going to get serious about names til we find out the sex.
    Not My Style
  • Loading the player...
  • DH loves names like Benedict, Cornelius, Bernard, and Sylvester. :P

Thankfully we were able to agree on a FN for a boy that we both like (it'll be Elliott if this kid is a boy), but we are still hammering out the MN.

Since DH loves the long and old and somewhat odd names, I'm thinking of letting us use one of them for a MN. Elliott Bernard? Not too bad.

Maybe one way of compromising would be for you to choose the FN (with him maintaining veto power) and him the accompanying MN (same veto power to you). That way, you might get a Dean Ramses or Saul Barnabas, and that wouldn't be half bad! ;)

...or you can wait until you find out if it's a boy or girl and THEN play the name game.
    imageimage
  • Emerald27 said:
    DH loves names like Benedict, Cornelius, Bernard, and Sylvester. :P Thankfully we were able to agree on a FN for a boy that we both like (it'll be Elliott if this kid is a boy), but we are still hammering out the MN. Since DH loves the long and old and somewhat odd names, I'm thinking of letting us use one of them for a MN. Elliott Bernard? Not too bad. Maybe one way of compromising would be for you to choose the FN (with him maintaining veto power) and him the accompanying MN (same veto power to you). That way, you might get a Dean Ramses or Saul Barnabas, and that wouldn't be half bad! ;) ...or you can wait until you find out if it's a boy or girl and THEN play the name game.
    That's what I'm thinking- he gets MN rights if I get FN dibs.  Although the conversation came up because I told him I was still pushing for Dean, and he said only as a MN and only if the FN was awesome- like Archimedes.  

We've only been playing the name game for a week or two, and it's because we have not done a SINGLE thing to get ready for the baby yet, and I'm getting impatient.  The plan is to not officially decide on a name before we meet the baby, so we have a long way out, regardless.
  • Whoa, those are some serious boys names AppleGrape.

TTC since August 2011, Me = 40, DH = 38
    Unexplained IF. Tried Clomid for 3 cycles. All BFNs. BFP 1/6/13. Chemical pregnancy.

Moving on to IVF#1. ER 11/26/13, 16 eggs retreived, 12 mature and all fertilized. 2 blasts transferred on 12/1. All other embies arrested so nothing left to freeze. Beta 12/10 = BFN. IVF #2 March 2014. BFP!!! TEAM BLUE!!!

image imageimageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• trawas01 said:
    Woah. What about Aristotle? We know a little boy named that, he goes by Aris and its actually pretty cute. (Trying to rack my mind for more names that are similar to your DH's but not quite so out there...)

I could get behind Aris, but I'm not sure about Aristotle.  

I like old, English names (DS is Edwin Theodore).  I did pull up Barnabas is a name generator, and it said a similar name was Solomon.  I'm kinda digging it and DH said, 'It's not too bad- I could work with that.'  Then I get Saul/Sol as a NN, and the name fits both our vibes.  
  • Whoa, those are some serious boys names AppleGrape.
    I know...  :-/
  • My husband thinks I only like girly boy names (Rhys, Quinn, Cary, Rowan) & weird names (Gideon, Jasper, Felix, Finnian).  So I try to suggest more classic names, but he still finds faults with them.  Samuel could be Sammy, he says, which is a common girl nickname.  Patrick could be Patty - another common girl nickname.  Of course, he offers ZERO suggestions.  He wants to literally wait until the baby is born to discuss it.  He thinks the name will just "come to us".

He drives me crazy.  CRAZY.

Haha Gideon, Jasper, and Felix are all on our list right now. We like the weird ones- but some of his names are too weird.

Although I think we have officially narrowed it down to Solomon and Carlisle.

• My husband thinks I only like girly boy names (Rhys, Quinn, Cary, Rowan) & weird names (Gideon, Jasper, Felix, Finnian).  So I try to suggest more classic names, but he still finds faults with them.  Samuel could be Sammy, he says, which is a common girl nickname.  Patrick could be Patty - another common girl nickname.  Of course, he offers ZERO suggestions.  He wants to literally wait until the baby is born to discuss it.  He thinks the name will just "come to us".

He drives me crazy.  CRAZY.

Haha Gideon, Jasper, and Felix are all on our list right now. We like the weird ones- but some of his names are too weird. Although I think we have officially narrowed it down to Solomon and Carlisle.
    I LOVE all the names mentioned... HE just thinks they're weird.  He's so annoying.  Solomon & Carlisle are pretty badass.  I adore Isis as well :).
    Isis makes me think of an exotic dancer. :-\

@elbug , There seem to be so many more options for girls.  Naming boys is hard.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"