Special Needs

Bittersweet news

So I was talking to DDs teacher today and she told me in September they're going to start mainstreaming dd to a "regular" classroom. She's going to start off at 30 minutes a day that they'll gradually increase with time if she does well with the intention that she'll be there full time the last year before kindie. Excited and terrified all at the same time.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bittersweet news

• edited May 2014
    McRib said:
    you'll love it. i'm so glad DS is in an intergrated setting. she's gonna do awesome :)

My fear is she's going to do awesome. Lol. She's a happy kid, really well behaved and easygoing so she flies under the radar easily. Currently she's getting some pretty intensive supports around speech with a therapist being in her room five hours a week but that goes away when she mainstreams. I'm not sure her social skills have improved so much that she will learn through watching typical peers.
  • Is she in preschool?
  • Loading the player...
  • Is she in preschool?

Yes, she's currently in an autism classroom.
  • McRib said:
    KC_13 said:
    McRib said:
    you'll love it. i'm so glad DS is in an intergrated setting. she's gonna do awesome :)

My fear is she's going to do awesome. Lol. She's a happy kid, really well behaved and easygoing so she flies under the radar easily. Currently she's getting some pretty intensive supports around speech with a therapist being in her room five hours a week but that goes away when she mainstreams. I'm not sure her social skills have improved so much that she will learn through watching typical peers.
    can you get some social support for her?  a lot of our intergrated class is devoted to one on one social contact with other kiddos. will she continue pull out services? It has worked well for my son but he too is a fly under the radar kind of kid. nothing so great as picking him up and seeing him playing tag with his NT peers (this took a while!) we also joined a social playskills group.

Yeah, she will get pull out speech. She doesn't get pulled out for anything else as her motor/adaptive skills are surprisingly an area of strength. I'm not sure how much one on one social support she would get--great question to ask. We do a social skills class privately as well.
  • So the team wants to put her in a mainstream preschool? Does your state offer that or will you have to find a private school?
  • So the team wants to put her in a mainstream preschool? Does your state offer that or will you have to find a private school?

Nope, it's just moving her to a different classroom in the same building.
  • Sounds like a great opportunity. I am just wondering how your district has a free mainstream preschool? Our only preschool classrooms are for children with IEPs. DS goes to a deaf/hard of hearing program.
  • Sounds like a great opportunity. I am just wondering how your district has a free mainstream preschool? Our only preschool classrooms are for children with IEPs. DS goes to a deaf/hard of hearing program.

We live in the northeast where there seems to be a huge push for schooling younger. Also our district is in a nicer area where schools aren't really struggling for money. It's lottery so not every kid is guaranteed a spot though and you do have to pay (though it's like $150 a month so literally half the cost of private').
  • That's great! I hope it goes well!
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"