School-Aged Children
Options

End of year gifts

Only a month and a half left of the school year! Where did the time go?!? Anyone organizing a class gift for their teacher?

I organized our class gift for Christmas (a Target GC) and wanted to do something different this time. I was thinking of flowers, a Lowes/HD GC, and a card signed by the kids that says "thanks for helping us grow." What do you think?

Re: End of year gifts

• Options
    I think that's lovely.  Gift cards are always appreciated.  Target is great for anyone.  Flowers plus a Lowe's/HD card would be great for a teacher who is also a homeowner.  It might be less useful for a young teacher right out of college who lives in an apartment.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    MJC1116MJC1116 member
    edited May 2014
    As a teacher, some of my favorite gifts are made by the kids along with some type of gift card. Last year, my room moms asked each student in my class their favorite thing about me, typed up their responses and put then in a small 4 X 6 photo album with each child's picture. It was so cute and the things the kids said we're so great. I've been given gift certificates to my favorite stores, target, spa (for a massage), and for DH and my favorite restaurant.

Edit: grammar.
    DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ppantsppants member

In DS's room, a mom is getting a money book type of thing together.  The kids fill out questions about the teacher/year also.  The teacher can remove the $ and have a class keepsake. 

I don't know what we'll do for DD's teacher.  We'll probably do a GC to Talbots.  I do have them make cards for their teacher each year.

Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Options
    Another thing you can do for your child's teacher(s) that is really meaningful and FREE is send the teacher an email in which you specify things the teacher has done this year that have made an impact on your child's life ... and cc: the principal or supervisor.

At my school, emails like this from parents can make a big difference in the teacher's professional life.

• Options
    ppantsppants member
    That is a wonderful idea @neverblushed!!  It's on my to do list now.  :)
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Options

Depending on the class/grade dynamics and age another idea is "Property of (Teacher's Name)" Pencils... It seemed that DD's teacher was CONSTANTLY asking for pencils all year long and how quickly that kids were going through her supply (and of course never returning them)...  It's one of those things that's functional but also a "splurge" the teacher could use without creating clutter.. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    OMG -- I love the "property of" pencils idea.  I would be ecstatic to receive those as a year end gift.

At my school, every kid in grade 7 through 12 has a laptop (I know -- don't even get me started on this whole thing.)  It's great in some ways, but the kids NEVER carry pencils or pens anymore, and there are just some things you can't do on computer.  My chair and I share a classroom, and we somehow acquired a box of 500 golf pencils in our room.  It's been AWESOME!  Every time a kid needs a pencil, I can offer them a stubby, little golf pencil with no eraser.  Kids are less likely to walk off with such a crappy pencil.

• Options

My favorite gift from a student was a sharpie with a hand-written note that said "thanks for making me a sharpie in music". Too cute. I cried.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    love the pencil idea!  just placed an order thru Oriental Trading :-)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"