Special Needs

Hearing question

So ds is just about 4.5. He's been in speech since 18 months. Initially it was for a mixed receptive/expressive delay, then at 2.5 he was caught up but struggled with artic and he's received services around artic since he transitioned out of ei at three. When he was retested in September he had all age appropriate errors but one. He's currently in a group with kindergarteners working on later developing sounds with plans to release him at the end of the year. He just had a full developmental screening and scored at or ahead of age level across the board developmentally...but failed the hearing screen. We have plans to get a full work up with an audiologist but I'm not sure what to do about speech. I'm kind of nervous he's going to regress if he does indeed have hearing problems. That's probably going to mean squat to the school department, right? Any insight?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hearing question

• thats interesring b/c with all our development concerns no one would even treat DS without a complete hearing eval.  Get the hearing eval and try not to worry too much until you get it?

He had a hearing test at 1.5 and passed. He's definitely complained of occasional ear pain and described hearing fluid swishing but it seemed to pass quickly so I never really investigated it tbh.
  • Try not to feel too bad..Surely at his well visits they checked his ears. And guidelines are moving away from antibiotic treatment for every ear infection. DD2 failed 2 booth type hearing tests then passed a different one (not sedated). Good luck.
    DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Loading the player...
  • FWIW dd1 has had 10+ ear infections..we did not tube and she has never failed a hearing test. Her last infection they wouldn't give antibiotics for and it cleared on its own.
    DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• haha can you see my siggy?  In the last 2 months i've been worried that DD1 had an appendicitis and meningitis, I totally get it!  And she has an un-diagnosed neuromuscular disorder 9 months into trying to figure it out!

• Try not to feel too bad..Surely at his well visits they checked his ears. And guidelines are moving away from antibiotic treatment for every ear infection. DD2 failed 2 booth type hearing tests then passed a different one (not sedated). Good luck.

Yeah we have been following the no antibiotics for ear infections since before the kids were born here. Gotta admit I'm reconsidering since I ruptured my eardrum from an infection and my hearing just isn't the same months later...
  • KC_13 said:
    Try not to feel too bad..Surely at his well visits they checked his ears. And guidelines are moving away from antibiotic treatment for every ear infection. DD2 failed 2 booth type hearing tests then passed a different one (not sedated). Good luck.

Yeah we have been following the no antibiotics for ear infections since before the kids were born here. Gotta admit I'm reconsidering since I ruptured my eardrum from an infection and my hearing just isn't the same months later...

Her last one (in the past few months) was the only one we have never treated.  I feel like any younger age I wouldn't have been comfortable with that.  We followed up on it and it ended up clearing up on it's own.  We have had whole rounds of antibiotics not help though, and had to switch over.  
    I'm 27 and I have atleast 3 ear infections a year..it sucks!  It was just hurting really bad last week and I was like here we go again!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"