Baby Names
Options

Which names do you absolutely hate with a passion????

Re: Which names do you absolutely hate with a passion????

• Options
    luluwoo said:

I like August (nickname Gus?) but recently read on another site that it is THE popular celebrity boy name now. Darn.

I don't know where you heard that, but no it's not.
  • Options
    Spin313Spin313 member
    Hate is a strong word, but...

There are a couple names that get a lot of love around here that I can't stand. I don't like names where the spelling and pronunciation are NOTHING alike. "Hi, my name is pxZatr, but it's pronounced Star" (yes, this is a made up example).

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Corbin is the only one that immediately comes to mind. I can't stand it!

• Options
    SweetC80 said:

In general I dislike gender neutral names like Jamie/Jaime or Casey. I don't particularly love when the nn is also gender neutral like Pat or Alex.

I really only HATE a name if it is butchered or made up, but then I mostly feel bad for the kids since their parents are idiots.

I was just going to mention Casey, too.  Not a fan.

Also, I can never understand why people picker Cooper or Tucker for boys names.  Of all the great boys names, how do those win???

DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • Options
    At soccer the other day this adorable little toddler was toddling about near DD and her mom called "C'mere BRINLEYYY" and it just ruined my day.

There are others that I greatly dislike.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Meery82Meery82 member
    Uh oh. My son is a stand alone Jack. Sorrynotsorry.

I pretty much despise anything that is made up or spelled ridiculously. And Bryleigh and all it's variants. Ugh. So harsh and ugly.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    BKD1386BKD1386 member
    Brantley.  Don't know why, but I loathe it.  LOL
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

May 14 November Siggy Challenge: Least Favorite Part of the Holiday Season

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    SaraML13 said:
    I dislike made up of misspelled names.

I also have a strange dislike for boys and girls names that sounds alike, even though they are actually different names.  For example, Erin/Aaron, Francis/Frances.  I know they are perfectly fine, "normal" names, but I'm bugged when I hear one of these names and I can't figure out the gender variant they are referring to.

But-- Frances and Francis are said the same. 

Erin and Aaron are not, even though in some parts of the country the prononciation is close.  Erin and Aaron have completley different etymological roots and have nothing to do with each other.

@joy2611 I found my feels.

I, and everyone I know, say Erin and Aaron exactly the same. Not close, exactly the same. It's obviously very regional.

As for names I hate: Piper, Harper, Asher, traits as names (Virtue, Chastity, etc), anything -Ayden, Nevaeh and the misspelling atrocities of beautiful names.

• Options
    I can't stand the sound of Hazel.
  • Options
    Echoing others: Brooklyn is terrible.
    I prefer classic names generally and do not like "trendy" names. 

4 losses- MC in 2006, MMC in February 2012 at 12 weeks and MMC (twins) August 2016 at 12 weeks. Pregnant again- 11/7/16. Another loss on December 28, 2016.

BFP April 23, 2017.  Our triple rainbow baby! EDD: January 2, 2018. It's a boy!
  • Options
    mhickey426mhickey426 member
    edited May 2014
    -Sabrina - i have know a few and they all had terrible personalities
    -Penelope- I just really don't like it
    -Alexa,Alexis,Alyssa- and all variations of these
    -Neveah- TERRIBLE!
    -Destiny, Diamond, Chastity or anything that makes me think of a stripper
    -Wyatt,Rhett,Ryder,Hunter- I feel like these are names I would use for my dog
    -Brayden,Jayden- I don't find anything wrong with Aiden but these other ones just annoy me
    -And pretty much anything a celeb names their kid because most of the time they are made up or just stupid

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    sorrynotsorry but the name Keith has to be the most unattractive male name- ever!
  • Options
    I really dont like any boys names that end in -ayden..way too trendy! And any -ison endings for girl...again, too trendy for my taste. 

image image
    imageimage
  • Options
    tealowltealowl member

I'm trying to create two separate lists in my head - names that I just think are boring/overdone/trendy/misspelled/dumb (Liam, Mason), and names I legit dislike/hate.

I hate using the word hate, but I really really really don't like this name:

Declan

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Jackson and all the crazy ways people spell it to make a common name (imho it's a common LAST name) unique cuz of course when you introduce yourself to someone you always spell your name so they know you're not an ordinary Jackson

Nevaeh

Aiden:  see Jackson re:  all the spelling variations

Isla:  not easy to say--have to think before I pronounce it--and really isn't pretty

Bree:  it's a harsh sounding name

Ella:  like a PP said, makes me think of elephant and I'd feel double bad if the child were overweight cuz you know she'll be teased :-(

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ones that I find boring and ugly: Ann, Andrea, Jane, Kayla, Caleb. Just dislike: Bryce, Braxton, Jaxon/Jaxson, Tenley, Kenley, Carly (all spellings).

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
    BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.
  • Options

Addison/Adyson/Addyson

Aidan/Aden/Adan/Ayden

Emerson being used as a girl's name.

our one and only *

DS - 2011

• Options
    PB&J714PB&J714 member
    Never been a fan of Travis or Alexis/Alexa.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    LtlAngLLtlAngL member
    Girls: Most boy names on girls - I'm ok with Morgan and Ashley, but can't stand Ryan, Emerson, Avery, etc. Paisley: this is a characteristic of fabric or wallpaper, not a name. Piper: great name for a dog. Isla, Esme: Isla (pronounced Izla) is island in Spanish. It's not a name to me, and I don't know what an Esme is.

Boys: Maveric, Declan, Liam: To me, this is a nickname for William, a great, classic name. I'm so sick of it already. Aidan, and all the derivatives. Connor and Mason: I don't hate them - they're just too common.

TTC 17 months, Dx: MFI (morph = 1,) Endo. Surprise BFP after HSG!
  • Options
    EricaCat1EricaCat1 member
    edited May 2014
    Oh also: never been a fan of Scott, and Elise just bugs me! It seems incomplete to me; it doesn't flow with most last names; and I'm not comfortable pronouncing it as I always feel like I'm saying it wrong even though I'm not.
  • Options
    Shellyjj said:
    SaraML13 said:
    I dislike made up of misspelled names.

I also have a strange dislike for boys and girls names that sounds alike, even though they are actually different names.  For example, Erin/Aaron, Francis/Frances.  I know they are perfectly fine, "normal" names, but I'm bugged when I hear one of these names and I can't figure out the gender variant they are referring to.

But-- Frances and Francis are said the same. 

Erin and Aaron are not, even though in some parts of the country the prononciation is close.  Erin and Aaron have completley different etymological roots and have nothing to do with each other.

@joy2611 I found my feels.

I, and everyone I know, say Erin and Aaron exactly the same. Not close, exactly the same. It's obviously very regional.

As for names I hate: Piper, Harper, Asher, traits as names (Virtue, Chastity, etc), anything -Ayden, Nevaeh and the misspelling atrocities of beautiful names.

No, I get that.  But they aren't related.  Like, they aren't the male / female versions of the same name the way Frances and Francis are, which is what bugs me.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    Havana2014Havana2014 member
    edited May 2014
    Makes me sad that a great, traditional name like Aidan gets such a hard time cos it's put in with all those awful -ayden names :-( And also Liam, another great old Irish name, (it's not a nickname for William, it's a translation). 

There are no names that I'd say I hate, although I do strongly dislike all those made up names. Other names I dislike would be more because of associations I may have ( as I heard once - you only realise how many people in your life you dislike when you try to name your child) how many people in
  • Options
    Honestly? Brent. I dont know why but for whatever reason I cannot stand the name Brent.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    killettekillette member
    edited May 2014
    Brantley
    Brayden
    Neveah

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Having worked as a teacher there are names I would die before using on my kids; mostly boys.

Andrew, Jordan, Devin, Carlton, Austin, Justin, Brian, Colton.
  • Options
    I dislike Paisley, Presley, all Bree names, Theodore, Nico, Eleanor and Jack. Oh and Soirse (or however you spell it).

• Options
    LtlAngLLtlAngL member
    Makes me sad that a great, traditional name like Aidan gets such a hard time cos it's put in with all those awful -ayden names :-( And also Liam, another great old Irish name, (it's not a nickname for William, it's a translation)
    I agree with the Aidan thing. Aidan in Sex and the City never bothered me. I started to hate it when everyone started naming their children Kaden, Braeden, Jadyn, Zadyn, whatever. Now anything rhyming with Aidan just drives me nuts. 

The only person (Other than Liam Neeson,) I've ever known named Liam was actually William and his parents called him Liam. If it was just an Irish name that people with ties to Irish culture had, I'd have no problem with it. I never hated it before, only after it got popular. I know 6 little Liams already, and 2 more of my clients are pregnant and naming their children Liam. Not one of these people are Irish. Now, every time some pregnant girl flashes a smile and says "I'm naming him Liam!" It makes me stabby.

TTC 17 months, Dx: MFI (morph = 1,) Endo. Surprise BFP after HSG!
  • Options
    Liam was always my first choice if I had a boy.

Then I see it's the NUMBER ONE baby name right now?! That's nuts. And it seems like it came out of nowhere.

But since my LO was a girl, I avoided the difficult decision of finding a new boy name. Although I am also partial to Finn. :)

I named my peanut Fiona.

• Options
    jcartzjcartz member
    edited May 2014
    Echoing the weird spellings to make them you-neek...

The names I can't get behind are some of the old lady / old man names making a come back... I know some are very popular & I'm in the mega-minority but a few I can't stand (and have friends whose kids' names are):
    Claire/Clara
    Magnolia
    Paige
    Beatrix
    Matilda
    Mabel
    Theodore
    Thaddeus
    Arthur
    Etc. along this line...

My irrational one is Abigail. I think of Pigtails, and I have no idea why. Abby? Cute. Can't stand Abigail.
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

BabyFruit Ticker>
  • Options
    killettekillette member
    edited May 2014
    Awww, my friend just named her baby Claire. I really like it.

Clara on the other hand, I do not like. :p

And I used to work with a guy named Thaddeus Dhume (pronounced like Doom). I thought it was awesome. Sounds like the villain from a graphic novel or something, lol.
  • Options
    I know someone who named their son Remington Gauge, after the shotgun. I absolutely despise it. Other than that I mainly just don't like girl names on boys or boy names on girls.

DH: 29 years old.
    Me: 25 years old.
    DS: born 12/30/14
    Baby #2 due 6/8/18

• Options
    SanRemoSanRemo member
    For boys-
    Chad
    Trevor
    Grant
    Braxton (ick)
    Jackson/Jaxson
    Steve
    Bob
    Declan

Girls-
    Mackenzie
    Hadley (it's a dried fruit place not a proper name)
    Eureka (spelling of Erika, Erica)
    Penelope (I always mispronounce it)
    Georgia
    Virginia

• Options
    I actually don't mind Aidan (or Aiden even), but I cringe at the 50 billion spellings of it and the adding of random letters.  I was considering Jayden for a boys name for a hot second, but I quickly changed my mind.  My H's cousin and his GF are naming their son Ay.den, and I just can't get behind it.  

For girls, I don't like the -lee and -leigh trend that is happening right now.  And I really do love the name Ava, but I hate that it is so popular right now.  

Me: 31 DH: 31
    Married 08/11/12 & TTC Since 10/13
    Previous Endo and Ovarian Cyst DX 
    March 2010: Lap. Surgery & D&C--removed 2 cysts 
    BFP: 12/20/2013 EDD: 09/03/2014 
    Travis Karel arrived on 08/21/2014 at 38w1d.
    BFP #2!  Travis is getting a sibling!
    EDD: 1/24/2017

Mama to my two furbabies Sam and Phoenix

• Options
    Tiko99Tiko99 member
    Love this post  :-*

I can't stand: John and Sarah. They are just blah and so boring! 

Me: 33, DH: 32

TTC: 2 years
    Fertility blood tests all normal
    Tilted uterus
    3 day ultrasound 17 follicles
    HSG: 11/13/13- tubes open
    DH SA: SUPER sperm (145 million, 84% motility, 22% morphology)
    All infection disease and immunity blood tests NORMAL

FIRST IUI May 2014: 100 mg Clomid days 5-9, third ultrasound CD 13 revealed four follicles 27, 24 and 20 and 13mm. Trigger shot May 28 with IUI May 29 and 30 (fingers crossed) - BFN started spotting 11DPO :(

IUI #2 B2B 6/23 and 6/24, three mature eggs and 130 million sperm! FX this is the month!  BFN 7/8

3rd cycle benched due to cysts - TI with OPK tests -  BFN

3rd mediated cycle: Clomid+Trigger+TI  (three follies left side, one on right as usual....what the hell right ovary get it together and produce some damn follicles!) 7DPO progesterone level 43 with NO suppositories YAY for a natural strong ovulation. Beta canceled started spotting 13DPO - Third time is not a CHARM! 14 day cycle WTF! Everything looks normal - RE wants to start injectables next cycle so this cycle I'm benched

Officially benched until March....but still plan on trying the baking soda douche due to my excessive and thick CM

JANUARY SIGGY CHALLENGE...This is so me!

Love this man....he was so before his time in his thoughts and ideas about the world....been obsessed about him lately bringing it back to the early 90s.

Never thought I would like long hair....

• Options
    Trevor
    Gavin
    Brent
    Bruce
    Patricia
    Joyce
    Wendyl

Am I right?
  • Options
    BC&LMBC&LM member
    edited May 2014
    Boys: Asher, Grayson ETA: Brayden
    Girls: Addison, Everly ETA: Hadley
  • Options
    vulpinivulpini member
    edited May 2014
    Girls: Mackenzie, McKenna, Makayla, Mckinley, Emerson, Elliot, Hadley, Harper, Reagan, Ryleigh, Nevaeh, Princess

Boys: Colton, Cole, Carter, Mason, Braxton, Brody, Brock, Brooks, Brantley, Bruce, Bryce, Bryson, Hudson, Gunner, Maverick
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    SweetC80 said:

In general I dislike gender neutral names like Jamie/Jaime or Casey. I don't particularly love when the nn is also gender neutral like Pat or Alex.

I really only HATE a name if it is butchered or made up, but then I mostly feel bad for the kids since their parents are idiots.

I was just going to mention Casey, too.  Not a fan.

Also, I can never understand why people picker Cooper or Tucker for boys names.  Of all the great boys names, how do those win???

Cooper and Tucker sound like a pair of golden retrievers!
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Options
    Agree with everyone saying made - up spellings (or made - up names in general), boy names on girls, and the rise of the -aydens.

I'd also add that I hate when people use a nickname as a formal name, i.e. Lexi, Jack, or Katie on a birth certificate rather than Alexandra, John, or Katherine. Or anything that sounds like a nickname, like Kylie or Bryleigh (barf).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"