Preemies

Back to Birth Weight?

My quick search didn't turn up a thread like this on the preemie board. So, sorry if I just didn't see it!
My DH is freaking out over "how slowly" DS is gaining weight (even though the nurses and nurse practitioners have told him they aren't worried). He was born @ 29 weeks, weighing 3lbs 2oz. He got down to 2lbs 10oz. After 2 1/2 weeks, he is up to 2lbs 14oz. He hasn't had a lot of ups and downs, mainly small gains and no changes. 

What was your baby's birth weight/age and how long did it take for them to get back to birth weight? Did slow growth continue even after leaving the NICU?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Re: Back to Birth Weight?

• I do understand where your DH is coming from- for term babies, they are supposed to be back at birth weight at 2 weeks.

Having a preemie changes everything.

Your child's digestive system wasn't ready to go, so they have to ease into feeds more slowly than a term baby. I know with my 32-weeker they started at 1ml a day, and went up reeeeeally slowly. Also, it burns a lot of calories to just exist as a preemie!
    Gently remind your husband to trust the doctors and nurses- if they're not concerned about gain, you shouldn't be either.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Pips09Pips09 member
    I honestly don't remember, but I'd take your cues from the medical team. If the doctors and nurses aren't concerned, I'd try not to worry.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the responses. I'm thrilled with how my little man is doing. It just gets hard when DH gets down on certain things. It's the same with brady episodes. DS always self stims, they are less than 10 secs, and he only has 0-3 per day. Don't get me wrong, I hate seeing them (or even hearing about them), but I'm not worried about them. DH seems to get so down every time he hears about one. And now, DH is focusing on the slow weight gain. I guess it would be too much to ask for, to have me and DH on the same page the entire time.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"