April 2014 Moms
Options

Mirena

I would love to hear experiences on using mirena IUD. Does it make sense to use it if I'm going ttc in 2 years?

Re: Mirena

• Options
    cd92007cd92007 member
    I love mirena! I've had it twice before and it's so easy to have it inserted and removed I would definitely recommend it even if TTC in 2 years. I didn't have any negative side affects other than not getting a period but I considered that a positive side affect ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had it and loved it. Had it pulled after two years to have this baby. I plan to get one after another now until menopause.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm probably going to do the same. I loved Mirena the last time and I got pregnant four weeks after having it removed. You can take it out any time and more than likely have no issues ttc. I'm putting it in as soon as my Dr will let me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    maelicmaelic member
    I had it and I hated it. Completely messed up my hormones while I had it in and my cycle for almost a year after I had it out. That and the doctor who inserted it cut the strings too short and I needed twilight sedation and cervical dilation for them to fish it back out. 

So no. It helped my endometriosis (because I didn't have a period) but it messed up my life otherwise. It'll be non-hormonal birth control for us until we're done with kids and then my husband can go get himself a nice vasectomy. 
  • Options
    I had it and developed pelvic inflammatory disease. It was removed after only about 6 or 8 weeks, and then I was on antibiotic treatment for 2 months. A year later, I got a Paragard copper-T, and the same thing happened within 10 days - that one came out and I needed antibiotics for 1 course because it was caught much faster. I'm in the "1%" of women at high risk for severe infection with the use of IUDs, and I have to be on heavy duty antibiotics for any pelvic or uterine procedures as a precautionary measure.

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

Natural miscarriage @ 8 weeks - 3/8/2005
    Big Brother "Skippy" born - 2/28/2007
    Missed miscarriage - (EDD 3/5/2013) - D&E @ 11 weeks - 8/8/2012
    "Hen" (EDD 6/7/2013) - born sleeping @ 19 weeks - 1/15/2013
    "G-Unit" born - 4/14/2014 and he's 100% perfection!!
  • Options
    Had it and hated it. Bled constantly, couldn't lose my baby weight to save my life, constant cramping/back pain, and I super angry all. The. Time. To top it off the string became "lost" i had it removed after about 8 months of that nonsense. Within 2 weeks of it being out I dropped 10 lbs and and I felt like my old self. The rest of my baby weight fell Off over the next 3 months.
  • Options
    Loved mine! I had it in between my 2nd pregnancy and 3rd and had no symptoms other than loss of period (wahoo!) I waited 2 or 3 cycles after removal to TTC. (I couldn't tell if the first "cycle" was a true one or bleeding from the removal). I would say yes to getting it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I hated it. I bled all the time and it screwed up my cycle and I had serious hormonal issues. It caused severe cysts and had to have it removed. I think all of that is rare though. I was only able to have it for about 7 months.
  • Options
    SunshinelouSunshinelou member
    edited May 2014
    My OB told me my fertility would be exactly the same after it was removed. I don't have it now and never had but I am also unsure about it. I am EXTREMELY sensitive to birth control pills. I just tried taking the pill again and went nuts after only 3 days and stopped. Did those of you who had hormonal issues with Mirena ever try the pill and how did the side effects compare?
  • Options
    maelicmaelic member

My OB told me my fertility would be exactly the same after it was removed. I don't have it now and never had but I am also unsure about it. I am EXTREMELY sensitive to birth control pills. I just tried taking the pill again and went nuts after only 3 days and stopped. Did those of you who had hormonal issues with Mirena ever try the pill and how did the side effects compare?

I can't take the pill either or the nuvaring. So it definitely is a bad reaction to extra hormones for me. It exacerbates vulvar skin issues I already have, plus messes with my mood and ensures a 10lbs water retention weight gain. Unfortunately, the Mirena is more permanent and expensive, so it's not a good trial and error option with regards to bad reactions to hormonal bc.
  • Options
    It's actually not at all permanent. You can have it pulled at anytime and the hormones will dissipate just like anything else. I even know women who have pulled it themselves.

The hormones in Mirena are more localized than the pill. Some of them do circulate throughout your body but not to the same extent other bc does, so it can be a good option for women who are sensitive to hormones.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @KatieGummow‌ Here's a little feedback in case you don't get many answers in RTT! :)
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • Options
    ksulliksulli member
    I hadn't even considered it because DH will have a vasectomy, but I'm a little sad about permanent measures since I'm only 30. My OB suggested I think about a mirena, and said she got it right after her dd and has been happy with it. I'll read up a bit, but since my OB decided the benefits outweigh the risks for her I'm going into it expecting I'll find the same.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    Thank you @SLSchuerg‌ ! Always looking out :)
    image    image    image    image

• Options
    I got it after DS. It was painful to insert for me but that varies from person to person. It stopped hurting after a day. I stopped having my period after 9 months. We had it removed 2 years later and didn't conceive DD until 2 years after that. Our dr suggested that if we were going to try sooner than two years to not waste our money on it. I have horrible periods so I would have done anything to get rid of them. We don't plan on having anymore kids but just in case I'm getting the mirena again. That way we can easily change our minds.
  • Options
    I bf and didn't have any issues. It doesn't contain estrogen so it is supposed to be ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"