August 2014 Moms

Beach bumps

shutaffshutaff member
edited May 2014 in August 2014 Moms
My hubby and I are going back to NC for two weeks, 10 days of which we will spend at his parents' beach house. They will only be down for the long Memorial Day weekend, and the rest of the time we will be on our own. I have never worn anything but a bikini in the past. I originally bought a tankini thinking that was the appropriate prego thing to do, but it was hideous on me and provided no support for my boobs. So I am back to Victoria's Secret bikinis because I can get a top in my bra size. I am pretty nervous about wearing it with my new body, especially in front of his family, so I am second guessing my decision. What are you wearing at the beach or pool this summer? Also, where have you found cute cover-ups that fit over your belly?
BabyFruit Ticker

BabyName Ticker

Beach bumps 210 votes

Rocking the bikini
25% 53 votes
Sporting a tankini
38% 80 votes
Covering up in a one piece
19% 40 votes
Other... I'll post a comment.
7% 16 votes
Just show me the answers
10% 21 votes

Re: Beach bumps

• I am planning to wear tankinis - I haven't really worn a bikini since before I had DS. I do have a bikini top that fits that I am taking with me when we go on vacay in a week or two, but I'm not sure if I'll be brave enough to wear it.

As for cover ups, I had a flowy one from Old Navy from last year (non-maternity) that still works just fine.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Logan 10/20/2010 ~ Addison 8/26/2014
  • Loading the player...
  • BlckRoses said:
    I picked tankini, but that's because that's what I normally wear at the beach.  I say that if you rocked the bikini pre pregnancy, you should be able to rock it pregnant as well!  

I agree with this. If you are comfortable in a bikini, go for it! I haven't work a bikini in years, so I wouldn't start now!

As far as coverups go, I have purchased a few regular cover-ups in L or XL that work.

IAmPregnant Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP - 01/04/2016; EDD - 09/15/2016 DS #1 - 07/2014
  • kaitm22kaitm22 member
    I am planning on hopefully rocking one of my pre-pregnancy bikinis. I tried on some bottoms the other day that still fit, so I have my fingers crossed. I am not someone who wears a swimsuit very often to begin with so I really did not want to spend the money on a maternity suit. If needed I will probably just go to walmart and grab some cheapie mix and match pieces.

August 2014 January Siggy Challenge

• NC beach loving girl right here and I'm rocking my bikinis still (the ones that still cover my boobs that is).  Let the bump out, girl!  
  • MC03MC03 member
    I'm in a tankini because DD marked my belly up with stretch marks and I don't want to be mistaken for a zebra while on the beach. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • When we went on our cruise a couple weeks ago, I bought a bikini and just also bought a takini top to match it. Honestly, I was still in that I just look "chunky and not pregnant stage" but still wore my bikini. I was fine to be honest. My mom did take pictures and I looked at them afterwards thinking holy crap, but now my bump is more noticeable. I'm heading to the coast this weekend, I plan on taking the same bathing suit and will probably wear the bikini part again.

• My first pregnancy I wore bikinis, and I totally would again this time (we have yet to go anywhere that requires me to wear a suit) but with a 2 year old now, I don't trust him not to yank my top off by accident while I'm picking him up or something, otherwise I would totally just wear a suit I already have. We have a community pool and I've been thinking I need to raid my closet and see if there is a stretchy workout tank I can wear over my bikini top to give me more security, I really don't want to shell out the money on a maternity suit I will only wear a handful of times. I have a really cute one piece that I wore after DS until I felt comfortable showing off my tummy again. Once my boobs are smaller again post pregnancy and less likely to pop out all crazy, and pending getting back into reasonable shape, I will go back to wearing thick strapped secure bikinis.
  • shutaffshutaff member
    Honestly, it's not the belly that I'm nervous about, since I don't have any stretch marks yet and it's definitely pregnant looking. I just feel uncomfortable about my hips/butt/thighs since they look wider. When you have a small waist to balance out your figure, it looks okay, but with a big belly, I just feel kind of big all over. But even a tankini or one piece wouldn't cover them, so I think bikini it is.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyName Ticker
  • I am wearing one of my old bikinis.  I don't want to spend the money on a bathing suit I will be wearing for a month or two.  And I'll be big regardless of whether the belly is covered or not!

My TTC Journey:
    Dx: Hypothalamic amenorrhea / mild PCOS (Pretty much a hormone/ovulatory disorder)
    Progesterone to induce period w/ the goal of Clomid - never got period (September 2011). Referred to RE.
    Femera - never responded to the meds (December 2011)
    Clomid with TI - BFN (February 2012)
    Injectables (Menopur) - hyperstimulated/canceled (March 2012)
    Injectables #2 (Menopur) with TI- BFN (May 2012)
    IVF - OHSS (transfer canceled), but 11 frozen! (June 1012)
    FET - 1 transferred on 8/09/12. Beta#1 (11dp5dt): 350.3; Beta#2: 365; Beta#3: 157. Biochemical pregnancy.
    FET # 2 - 1 transferred on 11/01/12. Beta#1 (11dp5dt): 337; Beta#2: 769. BFP!!! 1st ultrasound 11/28/12 showed heartbeat, but measuring 5 days behind. 2nd ultrasound 12/05/12 - miscarriage.
    FET # 3 - 1 transferred on 1/24/13. Beta#1 (11dp5dt): BFN.
    FET # 4 - 2 transferred on 3/21/13.  Bet #1 (11dp5dt): 660; Beta#2: 1,300.  Miscarried at home @ 6 weeks.

FET # 5 - 2 transferred on 7/12/13.  Beta #1 (10dp6dt): BFN.
    Attempted an IUI in late August 2013, but didn't respond well.
    IVF #2 with PGS - Stims started 10/28 with retrieval on 11/11.  Of 14 mature eggs, 10 fertilized, 4 made it to Day 5 & 1 made it to Day 6. We did PGS on the Day 5 embryos, and 3 of 4 were normal. Had ET on 11/17. Beta #1 (8dp6dt): 203. Beta #2 (10dp6dt): 618. We since had two ultrasounds & on 12/19, our RE released us to the OB.  On 1/02/14, we had our first ultrasound with the OB where we heard the heartbeat.  We are so thankful for the blessing & crossing every finger & toe for a healthy & successful pregnancy.

photo JuneBugs_IFbump.jpgimageimage

http://i49.tinypic.com/v430oh.jpgimage

• BeachMBeachM member
    Tankini but that's what I wear normally.  I had to order bigger Motherhood Maternity bottoms recently because mine from when I was pregnant with DS1 are not covering my butt very well. 
    :((  My this point in pregnancy with him I wasn't really going to the beach or pool as much as I am now and will be this summer.

• I'm at a resort right now and there are way more prego bikinis at the pool than tankinis. I would rock a bikini but I wasn't comfortable in one before, and those lumps and bumps are still there, so it's a tankini for me.
    yes, my baby is a zombie.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm going away to the beach in July for a week with my family (in driving distance from the hospital just in case). My mom wanted to buy me a bathing suit so we went shopping yesterday. I hated them all. I'm thinking I'll do bottoms that I already have with a sundress over the top. I wore bikinis before, but I just wasn't liking how the maternity stuff looked.

.. first date 04/23/06 ♥..

.. engaged 10/08/11♥..

..  married 06/29/13 ♥..

IAmPregnant Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Anniversary

• aelhuntaelhunt member
    I feel more comfortable in a tankini. I wear a bikini regularly but not preggo. Just NMS.

'I loved you for a thousand years and I will love you for a thousand more'

• I would just wear one of my bikinis from pre-pregnancy but even the ones that were on the larger side can't contain my breasts. I bought a maternity bikini that I really like and that could be ordered by bra size (score!). I figured that even in August, it will fit. 
  • I usually wear a bikini, but I bought a tankini for vacation when I was 15 weeks and looked fat/bloated because it was not attractive.  I wore that to the pool on Mother's Day, and was happy with the fit and support it gave my boobs, so I'll probably wear that during the summer.  I do have one bikini top that will fit over my pregnancy boobs, so I may wear that off and on.  I have a maternity tankini from last pregnancy for when I out grow the one I'm currently wearing.  

• With the zebra stripes I'm sporting from DD#1 this momma feels the need to cover up. No one needs to see that :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • None of my bikinis fit in the top. I went from a c to a dd so I was going to have to buy one anyways. I went with tankini. I have one pieces too but I don't think my bump will fit in them. I use them after to hide the zebra stripes.

photo 63d081b2-beb9-4486-ae4e-de648860b72c_zpsa8e37ee8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• chase16chase16 member
    A neck-to-knee coverall wasn't an option, so I chose other. If you're comfortable in a bikini normally, I say go for it! Don't forget your sunscreen!!! Seriously.

https://modestsea.com/full-cover-swimwear 

is this what you're looking for? ;)

• I'm an Other.

I just bought a tankini online, but I plan on using it and my regular bikinis as well. I'll be at the beach for a week so I can't wear the tankini every day.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • NSAbbyNSAbby member
    I have an Athleta sports bikini. I plan to wear it.

Baby Girl born 7/9/2014 at 34.5wks

• chase16chase16 member
    I voted one piece but honestly I haven't given it too much thought. When I actually go swim suit shopping, I'll take into consideration how comfortable I feel and how many stretch marks I have/how hairy my stomach is.
  • dawnangela79dawnangela79 member
    edited May 2014
    Rock that bikini girl!! I have a few pre-prego bikini bottoms that tie at the side, so I still wear those bottoms, and I did have to break down and buy a few cheap Target bikini tops that are a size larger to cover my huge prego boobs!  The cool ocean water feels so great, you'll love it! Another tip, dig a hole in the sand, under your towel, for your belly and you can lay comfortably on your stomach for an hour or so! As far as cover ups go, I've been just wearing a maxi skirt and a tank top, always a great look for pregnant women!
    Baby Girl Koa Lynn, and big brother Hershey

• Pregnant women can look awesome in a bikini! I, however, have stretch marks and scars from a surgery. I will just be wearing shorts and tees or tanks since I don't usually get the the water anyways!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm too cheap to buy new swimwear that I'll only wear a handful of times this summer! So my regular bikinis it is!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I bought a pregnancy tankini and will wear regular bottoms I had pre-pregnancy. 

I haven't worn a bikini since before DS#1 as well. 

For a cover up I usually just throw on some shorts over my bottoms.

son#1 born 6/2010

son#2 born 4/2012

son#3 born 7/2014

• I have never been a fan of beach attire to begin with, being a plus size already. I will most likely stick to sun dresses and skirts/tank tops for the pool days and sticking my feet in the pool. I am guessing I will not do my weekly beach days in fear of over-heating... On the flip side, when we decide to have baby #2, and if it is the summer, I will be in a different sitauation!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• For those of you that found maternity bathing suits.. Can I ask where you got them from? I was in Macy's yesterday and tried on a few, but they only had one rack so there weren't too many options. TIA! :)

.. first date 04/23/06 ♥..

.. engaged 10/08/11♥..

..  married 06/29/13 ♥..

IAmPregnant Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Anniversary

• I was totally planning on rocking a bikini, but I read that the sun can increase your likelyhood of getting stretchmarks.  So with that, one pieces and tankinis for me because I plan to be weightless in a pool for a big part of the summer.

image  image
    BFP 5/08/13 -- EDD 1/15/14 -- slow hb@7wks d&c 6/07/13
    BFP 8/12/13 -- EDD 4/20/14 -- no fetal pole @7wksnatural m/c 9/16/13, cytotec 10/17 & 10/22
    BFP 11/26/13 -- EDD 8/07/14 -- Born 7/24/14!
  • MC03MC03 member
    ljraff29 said:
    For those of you that found maternity bathing suits.. Can I ask where you got them from? I was in Macy's yesterday and tried on a few, but they only had one rack so there weren't too many options. TIA! :)
    I got mine at Motherhood.  I was surprised to find one there actually.  My non-pregnant self usually has to go to an expensive specialty store to find a suit that fits (I have huge boobs) - so finding one that fit at Motherhood was an unexpected surprise!

imageimage
  • I got a cute maternity tankini from Target that I like a lot.  I wish I could find one that had an actual bra built in for these DDD's, but no such luck.  I'm a plus size normally, so wouldn't rock a bikini normally, but i might in my own backyard pool just for comfort sake.  If you loved your bikini style pre-baby bump, you should 100% rock the bikini now.  I think its awesome when ladies do that. :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We went to Mexico in Feb, I was at that awkward 'is she fat or is she pregnant stage' so I took some tankinis.  I hated them!  I always wear a bikini so i wasn't use to it nad hated the way they clung to me when i got wet and i couldn't find any that had good bra support.  I will be rocking the bikini the rest of the summer.  Sadly, its not my belly that I'm ashamed of these days, its my things!  They have gotten a little bigger than I like and are starting to look jiggly and a little dented :(.
  • I just wore a bikini to DS's swim lesson on Saturday. Pre-pregnancy, I was between bikinis and tankinis depending on how diligent I was at working out at that time. I did have to get a new bikini top that was fuller coverage because my boobs are just massive right now, but I ended up just getting a cute black top from Athleta. I feel like there were a few side-eyes at me, but maybe I made that up because I was already a little self-conscious. I say rock the bikini!
  • KUGirl09 said:
    I got a cute maternity tankini from Target that I like a lot.  I wish I could find one that had an actual bra built in for these DDD's, but no such luck.  I'm a plus size normally, so wouldn't rock a bikini normally, but i might in my own backyard pool just for comfort sake.  If you loved your bikini style pre-baby bump, you should 100% rock the bikini now.  I think its awesome when ladies do that. :)

I have a non-maternity tankini from Everything But Water that has a built in bra.  I love that thing.  It was a little big on me before pregnancy, so I'm hoping it can contain my now DDD girls.  I don't think I could go back to a non-underwire bathing suit.  
  • I chose covering up with a one piece, but that's what I would do to begin with because I am plus size. 

If I wore a bikini before, I would continue to wear one now. :) rock it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• I said rocking the bikini. Thats what I wore before and have one plenty big enough. I may get a tankini as well but probably not. Do what you feel good in!

Me 28 DH 30

After 4+ years TTC

FET #2 = DS Madden Jeffery <3 July 29, 2014 <3
  • ljraff29 said:
    For those of you that found maternity bathing suits.. Can I ask where you got them from? I was in Macy's yesterday and tried on a few, but they only had one rack so there weren't too many options. TIA! :)
    I got one pair of black bottoms and two tankini tops from Target. Found the maternity bottoms in the store and ordered the tops online.

IAmPregnant Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP - 01/04/2016; EDD - 09/15/2016 DS #1 - 07/2014
  • Sarafar4Sarafar4 member
    edited May 2014
    I'm usually a bikini girl but my boobs are so huge now it's borderline obscene. I picked up two tankini tops at Target it the plus size section for less than $20 each! They are much cuter and fit better than any if their maternity stuff. I plan to wear my own bottoms from before, hopefully they'll still fit but they tie in the sides so I'm not worried too much. I should add, too, that this is the first time in my life that bathing suit shopping was actually a GOOD experience!!
    BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"