July 2014 Moms

I can't believe a stranger said that to me....

2»

Re: I can't believe a stranger said that to me....

• This is why I'm all about the drive thru. But seriously, people have some balls these days. Do you guys remember this confession from post secret??
    :)) wow.

I will admit, when I was a barista and people were mega assholes to me, I'd give them decaf. We also had an asshole tax button - automatically added .10 to their bill.

These were the people that would order stuff like, "5/8ths of a packet of Splenda, temped foam, etc" kind of junk.
    @LiteraChick--Me TOO! I was a barista for 2 years and we always did this. I hate when people tell me that they wanted a cappuccino with no foam..."uhh okay so you want a latte?" "No. I want a cappuccino."   What the hell. People are dumb.

I will say though it was the most fun job I have ever had. I had a great store and most of my customers were pretty awesome sauce.

image    image    

• yurmomyurmom member

@LiteraChick--Me TOO! I was a barista for 2 years and we always did this. I hate when people tell me that they wanted a cappuccino with no foam..."uhh okay so you want a latte?" "No. I want a cappuccino."   What the hell. People are dumb.

I will say though it was the most fun job I have ever had. I had a great store and most of my customers were pretty awesome sauce.
    Ha! That sounds like something dumb I would say, except I never order anything at all fancy.  I never buy their packaged coffee there, but I did recently out of desperation.  The barista asked what kind of filter I had before she ground it, I was like ummm paper? Is that the right answer? There's different types of filters? Andplusalso I was with my screaming toddler and they gave me a free cup of coffee out of pity.  I don't think their coffee is the best but I love the baristas.
    imageimageimage

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers">AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
    Formerly dlsexton
    BFP #1 Dec 2010 ~ Blighted Ovum Jan 2011 @ 11wks D&C Jan '11 & Mar '11
    BFP #2 July 2011 ~ Miss Amelia born 3/30/12 @ 41 weeks!
    BFP #3 July 2013 ~ M/C Aug 2013 @ 5.5 weeks
    BFP #4 Oct 2013 ~ Miss Lydia born 6/3/14 @ 36 weeks!

• Loading the player...
  • SO rude!

I love starbucks, we only have like 3 here because Sydney is such a coffee snob city :(

• SO rude!

I love starbucks, we only have like 3 here because Sydney is such a coffee snob city :(

My husband would die if I told him this. His work trips to Australia is what ruined American coffee for him. He is a huge coffee snob now, haha.
    Formerly knittylady
    DH:34 - Me: 33
    Emmaline Winifred - 1.25.2013
    Wesley Daniel - 7.24.2014
    #3 EDD - 6.24.2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Skeemer said:

OMG you guys take it easy on that precious little 16 year old who knows jack crap about being pregant!

Seriously OP, put a cap in that next time you're in there.

@Skeemer he is my favorite character in all of TV. 
    imageimage

Alexander - 8/9/14
  • I am amazed at how people think pregnant women can't have caffeine. I get asked "Do you want some coffee? Oh nevermind..." Yes yes I do want some coffee...unless you have wine. Sidenote...so @LiteraChick‌ everytime I hate my job I fantasize about working at Starbucks. The staff is always so happy and friendly so I feel like the company must be doing something right. Was it a good place to work 
    *stuck in gray. dammit.

I worked at one in the heart of Seattle about 10 years ago. It was in the convention center and was the only Food/bev place there. Meaning we were constantly slammed. The energy was insane as we'd line up espresso shots and shoot them all shift long. The tips weren't bad, about $160 every 2 weeks. It was much more lax then than it is now unfortunately. It really depends on what kind of Starby's you would work at (more lax vs. uber strict)
    I hate their coffee now as it's become mass produced and burned, but I'm a total snob when it comes to beans. You can make decent money if you end up a manager/assistant manager. I know a lot of women who do that as their side job, few hours here and there. 

It's funny you mention wine, Seattle is starting to serve beer/wine in some of their locations as a test run for how well it does ;-)

Edit: I have no idea why half of what I typed is in gray boxes and the other isn't. WTF.
    I heard that Starbucks actually offers benefits to it's part time employees as well. I think that's kind of awesome. I knew someone who was a manager at Starbucks for years and he was always treated very well. Don't know if that's the same across the board?

• i hate people who make stupid comments or shit they have no idea about make my blood boil.  i hope you get a response from yoru email OP
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I don't think this would bother me that much. I'd probably be annoyed for a minute, roll my eyes, and then move on with my life to enjoy my coffee. I just wouldn't take judging from a 16 year old who works at a coffee shop all that personally.

July 14 May Siggy Challenge: Cute Animals
    imagelambs photo: lambs lftsidemovies5.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mamakissmamakiss member
    edited May 2014
    Report her! I work at starbucks, that's a definite no-no. We're supposed to always assume positive intent (bleh) but part of that is knowing that a pregnant woman can drink whatever she wants. I do work with some people that used to decaf pregnant women and I've yelled at them sufficiently since I got pregnant. I even had a pregnant coworker tell me "I can't believe you drink caffeine, I could never do that to my baby!" (Ugh)

People really think coffee is the equivalent of crack cocaine to babies.

As far as working at one, it's myeh. Depending on management it can be really awesome or a pain in the ass. I'm just working part time, but we do have stock options and insurance benefits available (you just have to work 20 hours a week to get insurance). I like it enough, because they work around whatever schedule I give them, I make more than minimum wage, and if we move I can transfer with no problem.

I'd rather be somewhere else, like a preschool, since that's what I'm working toward in school, but the flexibility of hours and the benefits are really what hold me back, especially with a LO coming!
  • @jp27 Starbucks is awesome for benefits, it's why a lot of my chicky friends went there after they started their families. I considered pursuing a corporate career (headquarters is here in Seattle, obvs) because it's such a money maker. Ultimately, I wanted to get into healthcare.

You can work your own hours, tips, without the stress of an office. However, 12 years of customer service kind of burned me out so I'm happy doing admin. work at this point ;-)
    That's awesome to hear. I mean, as much as Starbucks is a conglomerate and is on every corner, I really have never ever heard of a single other company willing to offer benefits to part time employees. That's phenomenal. I found after 6 years of working in restaurants that hungry people (I'm assuming it's the same with under-caffeinated) people can be loco.

• This happened to me at Starbucks during my last pregnancy...I was like um, no, I don't want decaf and she gave me the meanest look. I don't know why I didn't think about writing a letter or at least talking to management.

When I was getting bad headaches everyday my doctor told me to drink coffee, get some caffeine in me! She said something about not knowing why everyone was so nervous about that but you'd have to drink a six pack of Mt. Dew to even get close to the "recommended limit" and even that limit was on the low side.

Drink up and enjoy!
      Funny Friendship Ecard: The doctor said I needed to start drinking more wine. Also, I'm calling myself 'the doctor' now.   Funny Confession Ecard: I have a constant internal battle about whether to be classy or give zero fucks.

BabyFruit Ticker

• mamakiss said:
    Report her! I work at starbucks, that's a definite no-no. We're supposed to always assume positive intent (bleh) but part of that is knowing that a pregnant woman can drink whatever she wants. I do work with some people that used to decaf pregnant women and I've yelled at them sufficiently since I got pregnant. I even had a pregnant coworker tell me "I can't believe you drink caffeine, I could never do that to my baby!" (Ugh) People really think coffee is the equivalent of crack cocaine to babies. As far as working at one, it's myeh. Depending on management it can be really awesome or a pain in the ass. I'm just working part time, but we do have stock options and insurance benefits available (you just have to work 20 hours a week to get insurance). I like it enough, because they work around whatever schedule I give them, I make more than minimum wage, and if we move I can transfer with no problem. I'd rather be somewhere else, like a preschool, since that's what I'm working toward in school, but the flexibility of hours and the benefits are really what hold me back, especially with a LO coming!

***Stuck in Grey***

The bolded makes me so mad.  What give them the right to make that choice for me?  Once I ordered a drink made with sugar free syrup (for my diabetic dad) and I watched the barista put in the regular syrup.  I asked her if she made it sugar free and she told me that the artificial sweetener was bad for you and most people don't like it so she doesn't use it.  WTF?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • LenaLove said:
    mamakiss said:
    Report her! I work at starbucks, that's a definite no-no. We're supposed to always assume positive intent (bleh) but part of that is knowing that a pregnant woman can drink whatever she wants. I do work with some people that used to decaf pregnant women and I've yelled at them sufficiently since I got pregnant. I even had a pregnant coworker tell me "I can't believe you drink caffeine, I could never do that to my baby!" (Ugh) People really think coffee is the equivalent of crack cocaine to babies. As far as working at one, it's myeh. Depending on management it can be really awesome or a pain in the ass. I'm just working part time, but we do have stock options and insurance benefits available (you just have to work 20 hours a week to get insurance). I like it enough, because they work around whatever schedule I give them, I make more than minimum wage, and if we move I can transfer with no problem. I'd rather be somewhere else, like a preschool, since that's what I'm working toward in school, but the flexibility of hours and the benefits are really what hold me back, especially with a LO coming!

***Stuck in Grey***

The bolded makes me so mad.  What give them the right to make that choice for me?  Once I ordered a drink made with sugar free syrup (for my diabetic dad) and I watched the barista put in the regular syrup.  I asked her if she made it sugar free and she told me that the artificial sweetener was bad for you and most people don't like it so she doesn't use it.  WTF?
    Please tell me you told her to make a new cup. I'd be asking for her manager and chewing them both a new one. How dare she make a decision that could actually *harm* your dad in this situation?!?
    Her coworker was right there when I called her on it, and he was aghast.  He took over the order and made a new drink for me.  I was content with his response but in hindsight wish I'd reported her so she wouldn't continue to behave that way.  It was a couple years ago, so that ship has sailed.  Hopefully her CW reported her or spoke to her. 

• LuluPMWLuluPMW member
    edited May 2014
    Similar experience today. Entering Starbucks a guy holds the door for me, or so I thought, and says "you're not supposed to have caffeine". Then slips in line in front of me, so I'm thinking he wasn't holding the door but just turning back to have his say with me. If it wasn't for his grimy buck teeth distracting my pregnancy brain, I would have had told him where to go.

And for the record, all I had was a short, sugar free latte but ordered a cookie out of spite-ohhh I showed Mr. GrimyBuckTooth!

People are stupid.
  • mamakiss said:
    This is so true. I worked for Starbucks years back. And my manager was a freaking nightmare. It also didn't help that one of the girls that worked there hated me for no reason and somehow we would always end up scheduled together. But the actual work and company was totally cool. You have the occasional annoying pretentious customer but you get that in retail no matter where you work. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
    BFP: 11.09.13   EDD: 07.21.14 
    Baby Sylvia born 07.20.14
    5 lbs 14.8 oz | 20 1/4 inches

• LenaLove said:

LenaLove said:

mamakiss said:

***Stuck in Grey***

Please tell me you told her to make a new cup. I'd be asking for her manager and chewing them both a new one. How dare she make a decision that could actually *harm* your dad in this situation?!?Her coworker was right there when I called her on it, and he was aghast.  He took over the order and made a new drink for me.  I was content with his response but in hindsight wish I'd reported her so she wouldn't continue to behave that way.  It was a couple years ago, so that ship has sailed.  Hopefully her CW
    reported her or spoke to her. 

That makes me so mad! "most people don't like it?" Welllllll I fucking ORDERED it so obviously I (or the person I'm ordering for) like it! That's like me asking for no pickles on a sandwich because I'm allergic, and they give me a sandwich with pickles and say it's because "most people like pickles." (That didn't actually happen, just an example.) I'm sure her coworker got on her about it. Coworker may actually have been a supervisor or something!

image          image

• WTF ever!  In a couple more weeks I plan on going in the liquor store and get my DH some beer......should be rather entertaining...LOL!
    <<a href="http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers>
  • MonkeyJDMonkeyJD member
    edited May 2014
    I buy beer or liquor fairly often and I dare someone to say something to me! Luckily I've never had someone so much as blink when I was checking out. Same thing with ordering a drink in public.
  • helloblueeyeshelloblueeyes member
    edited May 2014
    BPaws said:
    I went in last week for a 24 pack of beer with DS on my hip. Very obviously pregnant with a toddler, picking up some Budweiser. I am clearly a very Klassy lady. (I haaaate bringing DS to the liquior store, I wish we could buy beer at target).
    There are places that you can't buy beer at Target?  I can buy beer, wine and liquor at Target.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
    BFP: 11.09.13   EDD: 07.21.14 
    Baby Sylvia born 07.20.14
    5 lbs 14.8 oz | 20 1/4 inches

• In Canada!

• We can't buy beer & wine/liquor in the same store but we can get beer in Walmart/Target or grocery/convenience store.
  • BPaws said:
    I went in last week for a 24 pack of beer with DS on my hip. Very obviously pregnant with a toddler, picking up some Budweiser. I am clearly a very Klassy lady. (I haaaate bringing DS to the liquior store, I wish we could buy beer at target).
    There are places that you can't buy beer at Target?  I can buy beer, wine and liquor at Target.
    All beer, wine and liquor must be purchased in a separate store here in Alaska, can't buy it in the regular grocery store either.
    <<a href="http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers>
  • kwh33lskwh33ls member
    Massachusetts. Can only buy alcohol in liquor stores and specially licensed other stores. It's very weird for this NYer.

• PA has separate state stores for liquor/wine and then beer distributors for beer, although you can get some beer at a few corner stores.  No alcohol in grocery stores though, it's always a separate trip for us.  Heck, it's within the past few years that the state stores were even open on Sundays at all. PA has some backward ass laws. 
    My sweet little munchkin! 
    8 lbs, 13 oz.  21" long

• I buy beer every week for my hubby and no one says a word. Liquor laws are odd. In nc beer and wine can be anywhere but a seperate store for liquor and then no liquor on sundays but you can buy beer or wine after 12....strange
    image.
  • As a barista, I'm horrified at some of your stories and feel the need to apologise on behalf of all assholes you've been served by.
    HOWEVER, as a barista, I'm also perfectly happy to politely correct anyone ordering something that's blatant nonsense (such as the frequently requested black coffee with milk).
    It is not ok to screw around with decaf/sugar-free orders EXCEPT in the case of the one woman who used to come in and order an extra-large hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows and sprinkles and a flavoured syrup shot...with skimmed milk. That wench got semi every time because no way was I going to make it up special (hot choc was made in advance, a jug at a time with semi then fridged til needed) with skim just to fill it with sugar as an accompaniment to her chocolate fudge cake.  I would have done it but she was a horrible person.

As a pregnant woman, I'm horrified but not all that shocked by people thinking caffeine is some kind of danger.   It's a very brave/stupid person comes between a pregnant woman and the food/drink they want - particularly if they do so before that woman has had her caffeine.
  • zellatrixzellatrix member
    edited May 2014
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Starbucks uses a chemical process to decaf their coffee. When I found that out, I decided I'd rather have caffeine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ^ True. It's a very popular form of decaffienating that starbucks also happens to follow with their espresso and most of the beans. A lot of beans are actually dr caffeinated that way. My grandma can't have decaf because of the chemicals and it makes her incredibly sick... Which is why I don't like to decaf customers. I may make them an awful beverage if they were an a+ asshole, but I have a hard time with decaf-ing people.
  • On a side note, I was a little too happy to talk about how I felt about my job the other day. Frappucino happy hour then started and I now wish to retract any positive feelings for my employer for at least a month.
  • blacktie3 said:

BPaws said:

I went in last week for a 24 pack of beer with DS on my hip. Very obviously pregnant with a toddler, picking up some Budweiser. I am clearly a very Klassy lady.

(I haaaate bringing DS to the liquior store, I wish we could buy beer at target).

All beer, wine and liquor must be purchased in a separate store here in Alaska, can't buy it in the regular grocery store either.

Oklahoma is weird as well. You can buy low point beer in grocery stores and it can be chilled, so basically your domestics. Anything else has to come from a liquor store and isn't chilled, which is extremely annoying. They don't sell high point domestics in liquor stores, so only imports or craft beer. You also can't buy mixers for what you're getting at the liquor store, so you end up having to make multiple trips to a grocery store or gas station and the liquor store, and you have to plan ahead if you need wine or beer chilled.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"