School-Aged Children

Poll: Shoe Laces

1. When did your DC(s) learn to try their shoes completely on their own?

2. Method of choice: Bunny Ears, or Loop Swoop & Pull?

Re: Poll: Shoe Laces

• DD -- probably about 5.  Loop, swoop, pull.  It took her about a week to go from me doing it to totally independent.

DS -- Oy.  He has some fine motor issues, and his OT recommended I just keep him in velcro until he was closer to age 7.  I taught him how to tie the summer before 1st grade, when he was about to turn 7.  It also took him about a week, maybe 2.

For both of my kids, I taught them step by step.  First make an X, then put one "arm" of the X through the "legs" of the X.  Pull tight.  They would do that step, then I would take over.  Then we practiced making the loop and pinching it and using the other hand to swoop.  They would do the X, the loop/swoop, then I would take over.  Finally, I taught the last step.

Learning how to hold the laces tight and pull the without pulling the ends all the way through seems to be the hardest part.  It takes some finesse and practice to get that last part down!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • I was just thinking about this. We bought our boys new sneakers last week and DH didn't even want to consider shoes with laces. They are 5y3m. I think next time around (so maybe 6 months from now) we might go for shoes with laces and work on learning to tie. One son does have fine motor issues so we will see how it goes but might end up keeping him in velcro a bit longer.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Loading the player...
  • We are going to work on it this summer.  She will be 6 in June and entering 1st grade in the fall. 
    DD~6 years old~born June 6, 2008 (1st grade)
    DS~4 years old~born November 6, 2010 (1st year of preschool)
  • We will also work on this this Summer.  DS will be in 1st grade next year.  We've tried a few times, but he's had a hard time and we, admittedly, didn't stick with it as much as we should have. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• hmdhmd member
    DS learned in kindergarten.  They really pushed them to know it.  One of the custodians was volunteering to work with the kids at school.  That said, half the time, he just won't re-tie them if they come undone.  It drives me nuts.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 2Gma2Gma member
    DD is in1st grade and hasn't learned.  I haven't attempted to try either.  I should.  She has maryjane style tennis shoes with strap, quick for her n the morning.

I volunteer in the school alot and quite a few kids in her class always ask for help with shoes.  It gets old and time consuming.  I wish parents would only let kids wear shoes with laces AFTER they've learned.
    DD#1 5 years DD#2 3 years
  • DS is 5 and we have not started yet.  Probably over the summer we will work on that.

I use the bunny ears and DH does loop swoop and pull.  We will try both to see what he is easier for him.  As long as they get tied....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • fredalina said:
    DD is in1st grade and hasn't learned.  I haven't attempted to try either.  I should.  She has maryjane style tennis shoes with strap, quick for her n the morning.

I volunteer in the school alot and quite a few kids in her class always ask for help with shoes.  It gets old and time consuming.  I wish parents would only let kids wear shoes with laces AFTER they've learned.
    Generally speaking they learn through practice and repetition, which happens when they wear the shoes. I am sure it gets old but the kids really need to wear tie shoes to learn to tie them. Best to teach them how rather than do it for them when they do ask for help (though it takes longer).
    I agree with fredalina on this.  There came a point with both of my kids when they were only going to improve by having to wear shoes and having to tie them.  However, I didn't want them to be stuck at school having to ask for help with re-tying.  I generally had them tie at home and then tightened up the laces and double-knotted them before putting my kids on the bus.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • 2Gma2Gma member
    fredalina said:

Generally speaking they learn through practice and repetition, which happens when they wear the shoes. I am sure it gets old but the kids really need to wear tie shoes to learn to tie them. Best to teach them how rather than do it for them when they do ask for help (though it takes longer).
    I agree with you that they need to practice and repetition will allow for competency but these kids don't want to tie their shoes (or can't) and will happily walk (or trip) around school with untied shoes.  Plus classroom instruction time with 26 kids is so limited it makes me sad to realize how much time can be wasted on things like this.
    DD#1 5 years DD#2 3 years
  • DS learned at the beginning of last summer just before turning 6.  However, I just learned from his teacher that he never ties his shoes at school and she had no idea he knew how:(   DD will be going to kindergarten in the fall.  I would like her to learn this summer as well.  She doesn't have any tie shoes right now, he next pair will be tie shoes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DS1 learned this year at about 5.5. He's still not super great with it though. I do usually tie and double knot them before he leaves for school. However, he unties them at least once during the school day so he can practice doing it himself! The laces look crazy when he comes home from school!

We are still practicing with him and he is getting better every day. His bigger problem right now is pulling the laces so tight that he can't pull them back off his foot!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS is in daycare/preschool where it's shoe-free inside, so they take their shoes off/on multiple times a day.  I'm sticking with Velcro until he goes to kindergarten in August.  It already takes too long to get out the door and in/out of daycare in the morning with both kids.

He turns 5 right when kindergarten starts.  He won't have to take his shoes on and off at school, so it seems more doable.  He is interested in tying shoelaces and practices a little with his soccer cleats.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • My LO is 6 and still doesn't have a firm grasp on the concept.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"