LGBT Parenting

IVF Update and Question

CageyMackCageyMack member
edited April 2014 in LGBT Parenting
So we went in for one of our pre-retrieval appointments today and there is good news and bad news.  Good news is that DW has follicles and they will be retrieved on Thursday.  Bad news is that her progesterone has started to surge showing that her uterus is at the peak to take the eggs.  Which means we can't transfer them; basically, her follicles and eggs are so good and strong that her natural progesterone is overtaking the drugs used to suppress it.  So she is out of sync.

What will happen is that the RE will retrieve the eggs, fertilize, freeze, DW will get AF, go on birth control, then we will do a FET in June. 

We are a little bummed ("a little" means hugely disappointed), and so are really focusing on the positives.  

Positives: 
  • We already have a big kid and a "together" baby!  That's, like, an heir and a spare!
  • DW can make eggs
  • DW's uterus is seemingly stoked to get some embryos
  • Our IVF is covered by insurance, making this problem something that never would have occurred a year ago because a year ago it wouldn't have been covered and we would have had no IVF treatment at all
  • We are capturing DW's nice, young eggs
  • I have a good uterus still, if DW's won't take the FET
  • Our RE is a good one who identified this issue and isn't wasting our time and money and hearts putting good embryos in a less than ideal environment.  
  • We don't have to have all the drama all at once--this is just the "taking out of the egg" time.  The "are you pregnant" drama will be weeks from now.  
  • DW's work is a big deal now, so she can focus on that and not the stress of holding on to embryo/s
Question:
Has anyone else experienced this?  How did you feel?  How did you deal with it?  I've heard of people not getting enough follicles, but not the conversion of a cycle in this way. 

TIA.  Y'all rock.

Sidenote: we took DS with us to the RE clinic.  They freak out with glee when they see him.  They are a wonderful clinic and we are so happy to have DS, and it gives us a lot of joy to share him.  We just can't thank the nurses and assistants enough for all they did for us. He is a ham and a busybody and likes to run up and down the halls screaming, if we let him.  We know it can be hard for other patients to see a baby in these clinics, so we try to: A) be discreet with him; and B) have him bring good karma to the clinic.  It is why he exists and we are so thankful.  

Here is a gratuitous photo because he makes us feel better.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

CageyMack
37, married to my favorite person in the world, DW! One darling surfer-girl (12) and one darling, sweet boy born 3/16/13.

5/2013 Started TTC #3, DW's turn: 5/2013: Diagnostics (shg) and surgery (polyp rem.) for best chances. July-Oct: IUI # 1-4, medicated, monitored, triggered.  All BFN. IVF in Jan May. Sheesh. Whoop! IVF#1 cycle started 4/2/14. 5/1: 19 eggs retrieved, 8 matured, ICSI'd.  4 fertilized.   Only 2 to transfer/freeze stage. 5/6: Two embryos transferred. 5/15: Beta #1 9dp5dt is 134! BFP! 5/19: Beta #2 13dp5dt is 672! B'erFP! 5/21: Beta #3 15dp5dt is 1853.  Yay!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Things separate from their stories have no meaning. They are only shapes. Of a certain size and color. A certain weight. When their meaning has become lost to us they no longer have even a name. The story on the other hand can never be lost from its place in the world for it is that place.” ― Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing

Re: IVF Update and Question

• I haven't had this happen, but I will say that some REs think FETs are actually better/more successful than fresh cycles because your body is in better shape -- it's not all stressed out by the crazy meds and the retrieval.  If your DW got OHSS, pregnancy would make it worse, but doing a freeze-all cycle gives her time to recover completely before the FET.  So although I know it is disappointing, I think you are on the road to what will hopefully be a successful IVF experience!
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

• No experience with this, but I do want to say I'm sorry you got delayed. It is SO disappointing and I'm sorry :(. The good news is that FETs are great, in that, like B&C said, you are nice and fresh, body is ready and not tired from retrieval and drugs, and you can even work with your schedule if need be! :) Hang in there, so excited for baby #2!
    Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • JGYJGY member

I've got nothing to offer bug internet hugs and love sent your way.  So I'm offering that.  :)

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Hey CageyMack -

I have heard of this happening on the IF board occasionally, it doesn't seem totally strang if that helps at all....

It's hard though I bet. Once we got through our IVF retrieval there was no way I was feeling okay about leaving our embryos at the clinic to wait and see. Mind you, we only had 3 - but I wanted them transferred ASAP so I knew we wouldn't get anymore clinic surprises and it was up to the fates....
    I actually asked about transferring all 3 because of this reason (thank goodness Healy and the doc both said NO!). I understand the feeling though.

That said. The odds of a FET taking over a transfer with poor uterine conditions is much higher! It's probably good that they are waiting instead of transferring your best embryos to a less than ideal environment....

Hugs to you both.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    queer couple - 32 (me) & 33 (my love) years old - donor sperm,

Our IF/TTC journey since Nov 2012.

Me: dx of DOR in Nov. 2012. Low AMH, AFC - 6, Normal FSH, SS-A (RO) Antibodies (Autoimmune issues), tubes clear, Sono (November 2013) NORMAL! <p>

7 IUI's - December 2012-September 2013.  Medicated, Injected, Triggered.... all BFN.

My Love:  (the amazing @Healz413)
    Normal AMH & FSH, AFC ~27, blocked tube dx'd via HSG in 2012.   Hydrosalpinx & ovarian cyst dx'd in May 2013.
    dx of Stage IV Endo & bilateral salpinectomy in June 2013.  

Partner IVF#1a- December 2013 - H's eggs, my Ute - CANCELLED due to low response
    Partner IVF #1b - February 2014 - H's eggs, my Ute - ER February 4 (10 retrieved, 3 fertilized), Transfer Feb 7 of one Grade 1 and one Grade 2 day 3 embryos.  1 - Day 3, Grade 1 frosty saved.   BFP - 6dp3dt via FRER, Beta #1 - 110, Beta #2 175, Beta #3 - 348, Beta #4 - 2222!, Beta #5 - 4255.  Ultrasound (6w1d) - 2 heartbearts!  

We lost our beautiful Twin baby girls on June 18, 2014.  Tavin Sara and Casey Elizabeth were born at 21 weeks gestation and were absolutely beautiful, precious, amazing babies.  We miss our daughters every day and love them with all our hearts.

• Update to the update: 
    At today's blood draw, RE called DW in to talk to her.  Basically, her progesterone dropped yesterday.  He thinks it was a fluke spike that resulted in the elevated read.  So we are moving forward with a transfer on Tuesday.  

He talked to her a lot about how their levels for "cutoff" are lower than many other clinics, and that her levels looked really good.  

It is a challenge to handle this stop/start, but we are moving forward and trusting his knowledge and experience.  DW said it looked like it pained him to have to reverse the decision.  He is very, very well respected in our area, so I do trust him.  I very much appreciate that he spoke with her directly (and, she says, at length).  I always have appreciated that when we speak to him I never feel hurried or like I'm a bother.  

Thank you, @ball.and.chain, @2MamazinSeattle, @JGY, @manada, and @CrazyAunt84 for your support!

CageyMack
    37, married to my favorite person in the world, DW! One darling surfer-girl (12) and one darling, sweet boy born 3/16/13.

5/2013 Started TTC #3, DW's turn: 5/2013: Diagnostics (shg) and surgery (polyp rem.) for best chances. July-Oct: IUI # 1-4, medicated, monitored, triggered.  All BFN. IVF in Jan May. Sheesh. Whoop! IVF#1 cycle started 4/2/14. 5/1: 19 eggs retrieved, 8 matured, ICSI'd.  4 fertilized.   Only 2 to transfer/freeze stage. 5/6: Two embryos transferred. 5/15: Beta #1 9dp5dt is 134! BFP! 5/19: Beta #2 13dp5dt is 672! B'erFP! 5/21: Beta #3 15dp5dt is 1853.  Yay!

"Things separate from their stories have no meaning. They are only shapes. Of a certain size and color. A certain weight. When their meaning has become lost to us they no longer have even a name. The story on the other hand can never be lost from its place in the world for it is that place.” ― Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing

• OHhhh that is exciting news!! YAY!!!!!

June'12 - First RE Visit
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!

imageimageimageimage

• Sounds good!  Let us know how retrieval goes tomorrow!
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• Thinking about you! Hoping all goes well with the retrieval!
  • Retrieval day! Hoping for good news. I know how nerve wracking it is to have to wait for the fertilization report after the retrieval so I'm sending you both support for the 24 hours-ish between retrieval and fertilization report.
    ****loss discussed*****

We're queer. I'm 33, have severe stage 4 endo, and had both fallopian tubes removed. My love ("Manada" on the boards, 32) was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve. We did Partner IVF (my eggs, her uterus). We lost our twins Tavin and Casey at 21 weeks gestation.

Our IUIs
    with @Manada: IUI# 1-7 (December 2012- September 2013) all BFN. Tried natural, femara, clomid, puregon/follistim, clomid and menopur combo, both the ovidrel and HCG triggers.

Our IVFs:
    IVF #1 my eggs November/December 2013: Cancelled IVF due to poor response

IVF #2 my eggs/Manada's uterus January/February 2014
    BCPs and lupron overlap Stimmed: 1/22-2/2: Bravelle and Menopur (dosage ranged from B300 and M150 to B375 and M150 to B300 and M225)
    2/4 retrieved 10 eggs. Endo was much worse than expected. Only 3 eggs fertilized; February 7 transferred two day 3 embryos, froze one. All great condition.
    BFP eve of 6dp3dt; Beta 1 (11dp3dt): 110; Beta 2 (13dp3dt): 175; Beta 3 (15dp3dt): 348; Beta 4 (19dp3dt): 2222; Beta 5 (21dp3dt): 4255
    1st ultrasound (3/6  6w 1d): TWINS!!!! Twin A measuring 6w1d with a heartbeat of 118bpm. Twin B measuring 6w0d with a heartbeat of 113bpm. 

***July 18, 2014 we lost our beautiful babies at 21 weeks gestation. They were born too early. Tavin Sara T. and Casey Elizabeth T. are beautiful and precious and we will love them and miss them forever.***

FET #1 December 2014
    Intralipid infusion on Dec 10. Transfer of 1 day 3 nine-cell embryo into my uterus on Dec. 19. (acupuncture immediately before and after)
    BFP on Dec. 27; Beta 1 Jan 2 (14dp3dt): 665, Beta 2 Jan 4 (16dp3dt): 1859, Beta 3 Jan 6 (18dp3dt): 4449, Beta 4 Jan 10 (22dp3dt): 12,251.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Hugs and support for you both during this roller coaster of a time. Hopefully you all get some great eggs that are happy to be fertilized! Thinking of you all today!

Baby Hayden Frances born 12/20/14 at 11:11 a.m...  Our perfect little miracle.  Here's how we got here:

My lovely wife:

5 IUI's January 2013-June 2013- 3 Cycles with Clomid- BFN

Myself: Genderqueer guy who hopped in the driver's seat of the baby making train

IUI #6- 7/23- Monitored and Trigger on Day 12, with one 16mm follicle and one 18mm follicle- BFN

IUI #7- 8/21- Not monitored, 50mg Clomid- BFN

September and October: Missed Cycles due to vacation and a Half Marathon

IUI #8- Monitored and triggered on day 15, with one 23x18mm follicle- BFN on 11/19/2013

December:  Moved onto to see an RE to make a good plan.

IUI #9- 1/1/2014 Natural Cycle, BFP on 1/15/2014,  6W Ultra-Sound Reveals nothing in Gestation Sack... Natural M/C at 7W, 2/3/2014

IUI #10 3/21/2014- Natural Cycle- BFP on 4/1/2014 (please don't be an April Fools.  Beta #1 13dpiui- 48, Beta #2 16dpiui- 416, Beta #3 1018...

1st Ultrasound- 4/22/2014- 6w4d HB- 134!

Check out my Blog at: http://pregnantboithinksoutloud.blogspot.com/ 

• KH826KH826 member
    Happy Retrieval day! Best of luck to you both. Looking forward to the update later! :)

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • FX for a zillion good, strong, happy embryos (babies-to-be)!!! Thinking of you!

June'12 - First RE Visit
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!

imageimageimageimage

• Congrats on this wonderful reversal! I hope many eggies are retrieved and you have lots of embabies to transfer and freeze!!

A & K, married 7/1/13.

After 10 months of ttc via medicated IUIs and two early losses, we finally got our boys- Perfect premie twins born 5/27/14.

• CageyMackCageyMack member
    edited May 2014
    Hi all!  

Update to the third power (update to the update to the update, for a math nerd): 

DW was a trooper and went right through the retrieval process with no complications.  Our RE let us know they retrieved 19 eggs.  I was so relieved, as I thought we might be looking at only 8-10.  I know many of those won't be mature, but it feels like more of a buffer.  So my first and biggest feelings at this moment are relief and joy.

The process was new for me.  I'm usually the one being on the table and I felt powerless and very much at the mercy of the circumstance.  I tried hard to support DW and recognize that this is her journey. I mean, it's our baby, but her conception and pregnancy. I hope that makes sense. While she was in the retrieval, I really felt the weight of what we are doing, and started to get a sense of what it might feel like as the non-carrying partner. It was surreal. Not bad, just a different feeling than being the one who carries the baby.  As she was recovering from anesthetic I became anxious that the doctor would tell me how many eggs they retrieved.  And I so did not want to be the first one to receive that news: those are her eggs and I would feel like she lost out, like she was secondary to the egg production.  I love her so very much and want nothing more than for her to have a happy and healthy pregnancy.  Hopefully, that is beginning today! 

So now they will fertilize them.  Our RE uses ICSI pretty regularly, so I'm not sure if he even let's them try to fertilize naturally.  He will let us know tomorrow what our fertilization numbers are.

Transfer day is day 5, probably, so I'm guessing Tuesday.   

What a ride!  Now I'm going to go get pho and Ben and Jerry's in 2 flavors for my trooper of a wife.  

Thanks for you support!

CageyMack

• 19 eggs are great!  FX for a great fert rate.
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• KH826KH826 member
    Yay! That's a fantastic number of eggs - congrats! :)

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • That is a great number! I can't wait to hear your fert report! I hope all goes well and you get many!

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• JGYJGY member

Such good news @Cageymack!  And, as always, I'm so heartened by the very thoughtful and sensitive nature that many on this board display in supporting their partners.  The world could certainly use a little more "LGBT Parenting" type behavior out there!

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• This is incredibly exciting! I can't woot to hear your progress! fingers, toes and everything crossed for successful fertilization and transfer! <3
    IUI #1 - 10 April 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #2 - 05 May 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #3 - 05 July 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #4 - 30 August 2012 medicated and monitoredLetrozole and Ovidrel Trigger 
    IUI #5 - 27 September 2012 Letrozole 
    BFP! 9 October 2012 Betas:- 12DPO 16; 16DPO 96; 18DPO 315

Baby Alarico born on 28 June 2013!!

• We got 19 eggs from our egg donor and were THRILLED! That is a great number.

We ended up with 4 embryos, which was about average it seemed though of course people often get a lot more than that from 19 eggs. Congrats - you are on your way! Can't wait to hear the fert report!

June'12 - First RE Visit
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!

imageimageimageimage

• The early report is that 8 eggs were mature and 4 fertilized. They say it is likely that there may be a couple more later. I'm not really sure how that works, since I just have this information from DW's text. Transfer is tentative for 10am Tuesday.

CageyMack

• Yay! FX for Tuesday! Do you know if you're transferring one or two, or are you waiting to see?

June'12 - First RE Visit
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!

imageimageimageimage

• RE says we have to wait till the day of the transfer and then we will see. I'm hoping we have two to transfer and two to freeze. I want to talk and think more about it, but I also just want Tuesday to come so we know what we are dealing with. Could be 4+. Could be zero. Which are the far ends of an important spectrum. Thanks. :)

CageyMack

• Everything crossed for you all. I am sending you all good energy!

June'12 - First RE Visit
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!

imageimageimageimage

• I'm keeping everything crossed for you all!
    ****loss discussed*****

We're queer. I'm 33, have severe stage 4 endo, and had both fallopian tubes removed. My love ("Manada" on the boards, 32) was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve. We did Partner IVF (my eggs, her uterus). We lost our twins Tavin and Casey at 21 weeks gestation.

Our IUIs
    with @Manada: IUI# 1-7 (December 2012- September 2013) all BFN. Tried natural, femara, clomid, puregon/follistim, clomid and menopur combo, both the ovidrel and HCG triggers.

Our IVFs:
    IVF #1 my eggs November/December 2013: Cancelled IVF due to poor response

IVF #2 my eggs/Manada's uterus January/February 2014
    BCPs and lupron overlap Stimmed: 1/22-2/2: Bravelle and Menopur (dosage ranged from B300 and M150 to B375 and M150 to B300 and M225)
    2/4 retrieved 10 eggs. Endo was much worse than expected. Only 3 eggs fertilized; February 7 transferred two day 3 embryos, froze one. All great condition.
    BFP eve of 6dp3dt; Beta 1 (11dp3dt): 110; Beta 2 (13dp3dt): 175; Beta 3 (15dp3dt): 348; Beta 4 (19dp3dt): 2222; Beta 5 (21dp3dt): 4255
    1st ultrasound (3/6  6w 1d): TWINS!!!! Twin A measuring 6w1d with a heartbeat of 118bpm. Twin B measuring 6w0d with a heartbeat of 113bpm. 

***July 18, 2014 we lost our beautiful babies at 21 weeks gestation. They were born too early. Tavin Sara T. and Casey Elizabeth T. are beautiful and precious and we will love them and miss them forever.***

FET #1 December 2014
    Intralipid infusion on Dec 10. Transfer of 1 day 3 nine-cell embryo into my uterus on Dec. 19. (acupuncture immediately before and after)
    BFP on Dec. 27; Beta 1 Jan 2 (14dp3dt): 665, Beta 2 Jan 4 (16dp3dt): 1859, Beta 3 Jan 6 (18dp3dt): 4449, Beta 4 Jan 10 (22dp3dt): 12,251.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • KH826KH826 member
    So exciting - best of luck! We will be anxiously awaiting updates! :)

• JGYJGY member
    Thinking about you today, and big hugs and FX for tomorrow!

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"