Pennsylvania Babies
Options

Necessities the first week home?

We picked up some items yesterday that I've seen listed but I want to try & make sure we aren't forgetting anything.  Please help me make a list of things that I'll need and the baby will need/would be nice to have.  Thanks!

Also, what type of nursing pads did you use?  I was overwhelmed when looking at the choices/brands and couldn't pick one.

{Blog}
TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Necessities the first week home?

• Options

I can't believe your due date is approaching so fast!  Anyways, I used washable nursing pads.  They were much more comfortable and since I nursed for 7 months, they were cost efficient.  i think they were made by Avent..but not 100% sure!

The first week home for you and or baby: lots of comfy cloths, I don't think I was in anything else besides sweat pants or my maternity clothes, diapers, wipes, mylicon drops in case of gas, if you have a containter of formula just in case ( we had recieved two free from enfamil and though we didn't use them, it was nice to have on hand in case we needed too), food so you don't have to worry about running to the grocery store.....hmm..I think thats it...my DH was home for 2 weeks with me so if we needed anything it was easy for him to run out to the store but I know our hospital sent us home(a.k.a. we could take from the bassinet) with tons of stuff too so that helped...

Enjoy these last few weeks! 

• Options

For you --- things for your bottom (tucks pads, LARGE sanitary pads), lots of water to drink if you don't drink from your tap water, something to sit on (I used the boppy pillow the first 2 days to sit on when I wasn't nursing), comfy loose pants

I used all different types of nursing pads -- I leaked so bad at first I had to change them with every feeding.  I would just buy whatever box had the most.  If you're not sure, start out buying smaller boxes, until you find the ones you like best.  Some are definitely way softer than others, I just can't remember which brands.

Enjoy these last few weeks!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

For you - comfy clothes (and shirts that open up the front and nursing bras if you plan to BF really help), big cup to hold lots of water. I had a c-section, so I can't comment on the tucks pads or anything. I had disposable nursing pads that someone gave me but I really didn't leak, so I didn't need them. Don't leave the hospital without samples of lanolin and nipple shields. They're expensive to buy, so ask the lactation consultant for them.

For the baby - boppy, cloth diapers to use as burp cloths, footed sleepers (Adam lived in these for the first month). I forgot to see if you know the sex, but if it's a boy, lots of cheap baby washcloths to cover the penis during diaper changes. We went through several sleepers, several receiving blankets used on the changing tables and many washcloths per day with diaper change urination! Diaper rash ointment, diapers, alcohol and gauze pads for cord care. You can take those from the hospital too.

• Options
    I am really interested to see the answers to this myself, but I did want to interject something if you decide to go with the washable nursing pads - make sure you get one of those mesh washer bags (like a sweater bag) to wash them in.   Apparently your washer can suck them in and they can block the drainage hose.  I suppose this can happen with baby socks, too, but I know for sure that my friend temporarily "broke" her washer by having it suck up her nursing pads! 
  • Options

-take home as many of the comfy mesh panties you'll get at the hospital and the HUGE pads they give you there as possible. Plus a pack of super super with wings from the store.

-a large cup/water bottle for water for you(and try to make yourself drink as often as possible and especially during and after nursing - it's amazing how thirsty you can be!)

-some oatmeal - just in case you need a little help on the breastfeeding, it's nice to have on hand because it can help to boost supply:)

-comfy clothes that you actually feel decent in - I loved having a few new pj pants and t-shirts and not feeling like a total slob if we wanted to go for a walk, etc. 

-comfy nursing bras or tanks

-Lanolin for you - I got a sample tube at the hospital that lasted as long as I needed it, but you might want to have a regular tube at home just to have it in case you're sore. 

-Nursing pads - I wanted to use the washable ones, but I just had the cotton and leaked SO badly through them. I have some lined up for next time to try in bamboo and wool, but I'm definitely planning to get a box of disposables in case I don't want to deal with the washable ones! My favorites were the Lansinoh pads - they weren't honestly the most comfortable, but they were the only ones that I knew I could rely on to not leak through - especially in public and at night! 

-some sort of book or web site bookmarked already with info on what's "normal" with an infant - my mom being around was also super helpful for this, but it was nice to have a reference of sorts to refer to. 

-blankets big enough to swaddle or specifically made for swaddling(most of the small receiving blankets aren't big enough for this).

-lots of diapers and wipes

-snacky foods that are healthy and yummy in case you just don't feel like dealing with even putting something easy in the oven.

-burp cloths in some capacity - even if it's just old cut up tshirts or something like receiving blankets specifically for that!

-baby nail clippers or files(those little nails can be LONG!!) and possibly a pair of mittens in case you have a baby who scratches himself

-baby pj outfits with feet on them - those little socks are a total pain to keep on newborn feet! 

-alcohol swabs for the umbilical cord and anything you'd need if you plan to have him circumcised to take care of the penis(vaseline maybe - I'm not sure on that one!)

- a handy notebook or pad of paper and pens - I had such a hard time remembering when she ate last and how long she slept, etc and it just made it easier to write it down for a few days until we got the hang of everything. They'll probably give you a dirty/wet diaper sheet at the hospital and it's helpful to use that, too. That way you can remember for when the doctor asks about how often they're eating/sleeping/pooping/peeing at those first appointments!

-plenty of laundry detergent - maybe sounds silly, but you don't want to be down to your last set of pjs or baby clothes that you love for him and have to wash them at night to have them for the next day and realize that you're out of detergent. That's a small one, but it's one less thing to think about for a few weeks if you keep an extra bottle around:)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"