Natural Birth
Options

Hypnobabies fail? Not feeling the anesthesia...

I am doing the hypnobabies home study course (have been for 10 weeks now). The relaxation piece is no problem, but the hypnosis/anesthesia truly doesn't seem to be happening. I feel like I constantly have to remind myself of the anesthesia, and then I have to think about whether it should be all over (if switch is off) or just in the middle of my body (for center position). Am I supposed to have to think that hard? Half of the time I practice I also forget that my switch isn't on, and I end up moving, etc. Am I doomed? I have been practicing religiously and really like the concept... I have noticed that when I have uncomfortable BH while I am practicing, I can relax through them, but there really isn't any difference in the perception of discomfort. Getting close and feeling like I might need a backup plan!

Re: Hypnobabies fail? Not feeling the anesthesia...

• Options
    You sound like you've been better at committing to Hypnobabies than I have so this is not meant to discourage you AT ALL but I thought I'd share my experience. I started a couple of months ago with a bit of skepticism. I had never used hypnosis of any kind before but I liked the idea of using the system as a way to relax myself before and during labor. I read several reviews of the program that said that it was great to use during pregnancy but once labor hit, women didn't have any desire to listen to the tracks. I also anticipated wanting to move freely and not being able to sit still once the intense contractions start. I never had the expectation that the program would eliminate pain. I also fall asleep every time I listen to a track which causes me to doubt that I am really absorbing the techniques. But the naps are great! So although Hypnobabies says not to use any other labor methods, I have been looking into breathing techniques. Personally I think if the Hypnobabies techniques can get you to a relaxed state then at least it is helpful in how you react to the pain. I think if you go into labor expecting Hypnobabies to eliminate all the pain then you might panic - at least I would. 
  • Options
    I started hypnobabies at 30 wks and felt that it really helped me stay relaxed during my pregnancy, and keep my patience with my two toddlers. It really helped me stay relaxed up through transition, but didn't do much for pain. Once I hit transition, I had my doula to help me through contrax. Her birthing stool was amazing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I did hypnobirthing, but I had a lot of same thoughts. I frequently fell asleep during tracks and wondered if it was actually doing what it was suppose to do.  Worse case scenario I figured I would be relaxed and calm during labor.  During the actual labor I found the tracks relaxing and calming, and I spent a lot of time working on the visualizations including breathing in colors deep into the body to further relaxation. 

During transition I didn't listen to anything, but I was trying to remember some of the techniques.  It didn't do anything for me for pain during transition, but I was pretty calm throughout and I do credit that to hypnobirthing. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, this is encouraging. I am not expecting a pain free delivery, I just want to be in control enough to keep things natural if possible. My first labor was after induction due to ruptured membranes with no progress, so I'm not even really sure what normal labor feels like. I also fall asleep during most of the tracks, but I figure at the very least that means I'm relaxed!

• Options
    I just finished a hypnobabies course and my instructor sent this link which was really helpful:

https://www.enjoybirth.com/faq-feel-different.html

Basically it says it is OK if you don't feel different--

"No, you're just expecting something that may not happen - a "feeling" that you are in hypnosis. If you are dropping your finger and turning your lightswitch off, you are doing it correctly, no matter how you feel while doing it. It will most likely improve over time, until you at least feel very relaxed when you do it. But even if you don't feel that, you are still doing it correctly, and it is still working."

Made me feel better!
    Married June 2012
    TTC since February 2013
    MC @ 7 weeks July 2013
    BFP Oct 2013 - EDD June 7 2014!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"