Baby Names
Options

Question about Adeline pronunciation

I love Adeline pronounced Add-e-LEEN or Add-e-LINE.  However, DH hates both of those pronunciations and only likes Adelyn.  I actually love the name too, but hate that it's part of the -lyn trend.  I've seen Add-e-lin as an accepted pronunciation for Adeline, but I trust you guys more.  Is it an accepted pronunciation?  I know it would have to pronounced often, but that's not a huge deal to me.  I don't plan on calling her Addie so the nickname is not an issue to me. 

Just a warning, after this response I am following up with my baby name poll.  Just don't want to be a post whore.  ;) 

TIA.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question about Adeline pronunciation

• Options

There are plenty of Adelyns around, but they aren't really Adelines ? they are Madelyns without the M.

I much prefer Adeline (ADD-uh-line) to Adelyn. I suppose you could pronounce Adeline as Adelyn, but it is sort of a stretch from the spelling. If you do decide to pronounce it ADD-uh-lin, I'd spell it Adelyn. Please do Adeline, though ? it's so much nicer!

FWIW, whenever I see Adelyn, I think Adderall+ Ritalin = Adelyn.

• Options
    imageplunderb:

There are plenty of Adelyns around, but they aren't really Adelines ? they are Madelyns without the M.

I much prefer Adeline (ADD-uh-line) to Adelyn. I suppose you could pronounce Adeline as Adelyn, but it is sort of a stretch from the spelling. If you do decide to pronounce it ADD-uh-lin, I'd spell it Adelyn. Please do Adeline, though ? it's so much nicer!

FWIW, whenever I see Adelyn, I think Adderall+ Ritalin = Adelyn.

I really tried.  DH hates it.  :(  We have 4 other names we love though so I think I'll just give up on this one.  I'm about to post my name list as a poll.  I'll probably put Adelyn on there, but I'm pretty hesitant to actually go through with it now. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We are also debating on Adeline (ada-line) if we have another girl. DD doesn't like the Addie nn either.

But I think it's OK if you do Adelin (ada-lyn) to avoid the "lyn" trend. But yes, you will probably correct a lot of ppl. But if you don't mind that-go for it. Honestly you will probably be correctly them no matter what....

Our DD is Jocelyn which is why we aren't doing Adelyn. We get so many variations of Jocelyn as it is...Joyce-lyn, Joy-Lynn...ppl are just dumb! LOL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We had a groups called the Sweet Adelines in my hometown when I was small (it's a singing group for women), and it was pronounced ADD-uh-line.  I like that so much better that Adelyn.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I pronounce it Add-uh-line.  I like it better than the lyn pronunciation.
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"