Breastfeeding

XP: How to reintroduce dairy and soy

I thought I would xp this from the food allergy board as I know there are a lot of MSPI mommas here.

I have been dairy and soy free for a while now. DD has reflux and the dr suggested I do this to see if it would help. While I definitely see a difference in her from when I started, there are so many factors that come into play that I can't say for certain that the milk and soy elimination is what she needed.

I'm guessing the only way I would know for certain is to re-introduce it into my diet and see if it causes any changes in her. How should I go about doing this? Should I reintroduce soy first and then do dairy if the soy goes well? When reintroducing dairy, should I start slowly and just eat something with dairy in the ingredients or should I just have a glass of milk?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: XP: How to reintroduce dairy and soy

• htk1113htk1113 member
    My son wasn't fully diagnosed as MSPI but it was suspected because of flecks of blood in his stool and was fussy and  gassy (no vomiting).  I eliminated that from my diet since he was two months old.  He is 5 months now.  My Ped recommended staying away from milk and soy until he was six months and don't give him any until he was nine months as a precaution.  

In the beginning I stayed away from it all, nothing with milk or soy by-products. I have had a baked good or two that had butter in it and I hadn't seen any flecks of blood in his stool nor is he abnormally fussy or gassy.  Sounds silly but my thought was that baking may degrade the proteins enough that they wouldn't hurt LOs tummy.  I still avoid soy and milk products as much as possible but I'm a little more relaxed now that I know LO is not super sensitive.  I think I'll wait awhile longer before having a glass of milk or tofu. 

If you want to start with soy you could try a slice of bread.  It seems like every loaf not made at a local bakery has soy flour in it.  

It sucks this has to be a trial and error thing.  Good Luck. 
  • I would start small in case it does bother her, hopefully it won't be too strong of a reaction. Also, some babies can tolerate small amounts of soy or dairy, but not larger amounts. So you might be able to figure out that you can have baked in dairy, but not a glass of milk. I would start with soy since I think more babies are dairy intolerant than soy intolerant, so you might be able to start eating soy but hold off on the dairy a little longer. HTH and GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"