Stay at Home Moms
Options

Preschool drop off-- baby in car

2»

Re: Preschool drop off-- baby in car

• Options
    KC_13 said:
    KateMW said:
    But I don't think it compares to going to weigh-in.

Why? I would think walking into a school presents more danger than a building with all glass windows where you have a direct view, no?

I can see the car from the office, so I'm not sure what you mean.
  • Options
    I am pretty sure I was team no weigh in w/ the baby in the car as I am team no kid in the car for preschool. 

I can see how both are tempting and I can see how the individual set up or situation might make a difference along w/ your town/city/area. But generally speaking, if you are going into the building, your kid needs to go, too. 
    Didn't you just say you left your child in the car in your driveway all the time?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    KateMW said:
    KC_13 said:
    KateMW said:

Why? I would think walking into a school presents more danger than a building with all glass windows where you have a direct view, no?

Weird--usually schools have a few doorways to get through without all glass windows surrounding. I may just be used to the old style buildings in the northeast though that are mostly brick. Regardless, leaving a kid in the car to sign a kid to school or leaving a kid to weigh in at weight watchers is the same shit. Actually I think it makes more sense (though admittedly I'd never do either one) to leave an older sleeping kid than an infant in a bucket seat since those are far easier to move.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    KC_13 said:
    KateMW said:
    KC_13 said:
    KateMW said:

Weird--usually schools have a few doorways to get through without all glass windows surrounding. I may just be used to the old style buildings in the northeast though that are mostly brick. Regardless, leaving a kid in the car to sign a kid to school or leaving a kid to weigh in at weight watchers is the same shit. Actually I think it makes more sense (though admittedly I'd never do either one) to leave an older sleeping kid than an infant in a bucket seat since those are far easier to move.

KC_13 said:
    KateMW said:
    KC_13 said:
    KateMW said:

School architect now too? DD's school office is up three steps and the whole front is windows. So I'm cool we it. Plus with my back issues, carrying 25+lbs to and from the car can mess up my back for the rest of the day, so it's not always easier. Anyway, not going to argue anymore, flame on. :)
  • Options
    AimeeL85AimeeL85 member
    edited May 2014
    I wouldn't do it but I can't say I judge every instance equally. The only time I recall seeing it happen was at preschool drop-off. 

There is one father who drops his 2 sons off every day, and last winter they added twin girls to the family. So this father now had to bring 2 young kids, plus 2 infant carriers into the school to drop the boys off. One day I saw him leave the twins in the car and run the boys in. My knee jerk reaction was "oh my gosh, he left them alone!" but I decided to wait until he came back before I went in, just to make myself feel better, and he really was back in 30 seconds. I think he ran in and then had the director walk the kids to their rooms.  I think it would actually be more risky for him to carry the twins through the parking lot thereby not being able to hold his 2 and 4 year olds' hands. That's the only time I ever saw him do it that way, though.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options
    This was my hill to die on when I had one kid.  Three put me over the edge and now I do it regularly.

However, I never leave the car running.  I also won't do it at school drop off because I have to take DD1 to her classroom.  Unless I see a mom I know outside who will stay with the car, I bring the baby in.  At pickup you wait at the door and they send your kid out.  The school is on a residential street, so I either get there early or a little late so I park right out front and can see the car the whole time.

I also will run in certain places - where I can park right out front with the car in sight and will be in there for less than 5 minutes.  I don't mind the judging - five years ago I would have judged me too
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Options
    ariel06ariel06 member
    DS1 was home sick last week and I had to find some one to watch him or drop DS2 off at preschool.  There was no way I was leaving a 5 year old in the car alone, even for less than 5 minutes.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

So what are we worried about happening? A car theft? Because a baby isn't getting out of his seat and driving away. I am not defending this but I am curious what has everyone so freaked out.

I am a law abiding person. In WA, it is illegal to leave kids unattended in a running car. That simple.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

@eaglesfan700...that is ridiculous. Ugh. I mean, not that I'm entitled to more benefits because I chose to have three...but that is really rude of her to actually say that to you, lol.

I think most judgy-type situations could be solved with a helping hand...we've all done crazy things in a pinch.

• Options
    edited May 2014

This was my hill to die on when I had one kid.  Three put me over the edge and now I do it regularly.

However, I never leave the car running.  I also won't do it at school drop off because I have to take DD1 to her classroom.  Unless I see a mom I know outside who will stay with the car, I bring the baby in.  At pickup you wait at the door and they send your kid out.  The school is on a residential street, so I either get there early or a little late so I park right out front and can see the car the whole time.

I also will run in certain places - where I can park right out front with the car in sight and will be in there for less than 5 minutes.  I don't mind the judging - five years ago I would have judged me too

This is so funny to me, it was my hill too...now, with three? I'm definitely over the edge. Judge away. 

What really did it was having to bring both boys in to preschool and having a preemie that was supposed to be on house arrest. I had no help, and leaving her in the car for less than a minute was preferable to having to haul her out in -60 degree weather on the regular.

I think instead of judging this scenario, I would like to think I would offer a hand. Either I would ask to help bring their kiddo in (if I knew them) or I would let them know that I could keep an eye on their car for them.

I agree offering to watch the baby would be nice. In this instance the woman was already gone by the time I realized the baby was in the car. I would definitely offer if someone I knew needed help. I'd probably feel like a creepster with a stranger, though. I'm socially awkward. I'd be like Tina Fey in Admission who offers to hold the stranger's baby and the
    stranger freaks out on her.

Edit: Admission, not Accepted. Totally different movie.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Our school is small and only goes to k. So you pretty much know everyone's faces
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Options
    I don't know why Amy, but that made me lol.  people are crazy.....and also mean.
  • Options

I don't know why Amy, but that made me lol.  people are crazy.....and also mean.

For real.

• Options
    I haven't read any of the replies but wanted to say a friend of mine and I were having a play date yesterday and looked up the law in California for this exact scenario b/c she got a rude comment while pumping gas (she left all three kids in the car to pump gas and had to run in the pay while the car filled up).

Apparently, as long as the car IS NOT RUNNING and there's no risk from overheating (outside temperatures), it's not illegal to leave your kids in the car here. If the car is running and/or there's risk from overheating, your kids have to be over the age of 6 or at least one person in the car has to be over the age of 12 to supervise the kids that aren't 6 and up.

I leave Emily and Nolan in the car (it's not running, it's locked, and it's never hot here!) to pay inside for gas, to go to the walk-up ATM at the bank, and sometimes to grab something real quick at someone's house. I've never left them so I could run in somewhere that I couldn't see them from where I was... I'm too afraid a nosey passerby that doesn't know the law will call the police and I'll be humiliated, though not under arrest! :)

PS - did you also know that there is NO minimum age for children staying home alone in California? There's a recommendation for age 8 but not a law. Crazy pants!!!

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• Options
    Kimbus22 said:
    Wait, there are still gas stations where you have to go in to pay?
    That's what I was thinking! If you are somewhere that doesn't have pay at the pump, then it probably is safe enough for unattended children! Like, Mayberry...maybe?
    DD - 12/31/13
  • Options
    mandymackmandymack member
    edited May 2014
    AprilLVE said:
    Kimbus22 said:
    Wait, there are still gas stations where you have to go in to pay?
    That's what I was thinking! If you are somewhere that doesn't have pay at the pump, then it probably is safe enough for unattended children! Like, Mayberry...maybe?
    No, haha lots of credit card theft at the pumps - several around here are replacing the machines so you have no choice but to go in and pay :) And lots of people pay with cash, including me because there's now an increase in per gallon price if you pay with a credit card.

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"