Special Needs
Options

Need help with eating question.

I was just wondering what to look for in terms of being a picky eater and ASD. My son is currently waiting to get evaluated. He is an extremely picky eater. I was just wondering what it is to look for? Any examples would be appreciated. Thank you from a nervous mom in Boston

Re: Need help with eating question.

• Options
    hopecountshopecounts member
    edited April 2014
    For us DD is fairly much on the typical ASD kid beige diet (she'll eat most fruits though)
    If it is a carb she will pretty much eat it if it isn't too saucy so she eats sandwiches, chicken fingers, fish sticks, popcorn shrimp, grilled cheeses, quesadilla's, pasta (oddly enough with or without sauce) etc. 
    She seems to be adding pizza to the list, but it's only been twice so we'll see. 
    Protein can be a problem so I work around it by giving her keifer and making smoothies with greek yogurt.
    There are options for working on eating issues, often OT can help as it can approach the physical aspects (chewing correctly) and the sensory (the texture/feel of the food) that can cause the food issues. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My son is a crunchy kid. He craves the sensory input he gets from crunchy foods. He also has low tone in his mouth but we are doing oral motor feeding therapy and it has helped. He mostly eats pretzels, waffles, bread, lots of peanut butter, granola bars, gold fish, dry cereal, sometimes pasta, chips, and I make frozen fruit pops for him. Eating is always a struggle. My son did his oral motor therapy through a speech therapist who specializes in feeding.

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"