Baby Showers
Options

Guest list question

My mom asked me to provide some names for invites for a baby shower. Do I send an invitation to be polite to out of town family members, such as aunts and cousins, (who live a plane trip away, not an hour drive or anything) and risk looking tacky like I'm just "alerting them to send a gift", or do I just not send an invitation at all??

Re: Guest list question

• Options
    VORVOR member
    Remember - this isn't a wedding. It's not the same kind of event. Showers are meant to be smaller, more personal events. Not "invite everyone you know" events. So, by and large, no. Don't invite oot people.

BUT - if you know there is "that aunt" who will be offended not to be invited, invite them.
  • Options
    ccamccam member
    edited April 2014
    In our family, all of the ladies receive an invite even if we assume they won't make the trip for a shower.  There have been a few times we were surprised and out of state family were going to be around or made the trip for a shower/party. That being said, I think it depends on the family. 

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

If it's a close-ish family member (aunt, cousin) I would send an invite to be polite.  Second cousin twice removed? No.

Chances are, if they are family, they would have sent a gift anyway.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options

I think that it depends on the people:

I have a lot of friends from college that live on the east coast (I'm in the midwest) and I didn't invite them -- I knew they wouldn't make the trip and wouldn't be offended by the lack of an invitation.  Likewise, I didn't invite my extended family that I only see once in a blue moon.

But, my MIL is 8 hours away - I felt like she needed to be invited as the grandma, even if she couldn't come.  Also, my mom also has one sister who had just been admitted to hospice at the time of the shower, but otherwise would have come -- My mom wanted to send her an invitation, so I included her on the list that I gave my BFF who was hosting the shower.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Options
    There is no concrete rule about this, it's more about knowing your guests.  Overall I would say don't invite out of town guests, but do this on a case-by-case basis.  I didn't want to invite OOT guests, but my mother wanted all of her sisters invited, so I figured she knew them better than I did and agreed.  One of the Aunts did fly in for it, the other 3 OOT Aunts did not, so you never know.  As for cousins, I figured that was more my department and chose not to invite OOT ones.  But then I have a close friend who flies in every summer to visit her family and I did invite her because I figured she would probably plan it around my shower and she did.  

I guess what I'm saying is, you can answer this question better than we can.  Put some thought into what you think they would want and I'm sure if you are sincere in whatever you choose to do it will not come off the wrong way. 
  • Options
    I'm also on the it depends train. My mom is the only one of her immediate family that lives outside of their tiny town, so she's invited to most of my cousins' showers even though she's not going to fly in. I invited H's grandmother who lives in Idaho to my wedding shower even though I knew she wasn't coming to the wedding because she's his grandmother and I wanted her to feel included. She thought it was sweet.

If it were me, my mom would have a good idea of which of her and my dad's family needed to be invited, so I'd ask her what she thought. Other than that, the only OOT people would be very close friends and some of H's family.

Honestly, I do think as PP said that it's important to remember it's not a wedding. H and I invited a little over 300 people to our wedding. For my bridal shower my MOH sent less than 30 invitations and I had 10ish attendees and it was lovely. I realize bridal showers sometimes are larger, but I definitely see baby showers and a nearest and dearest thing. People who want to send gifts can and will do so without a shower invitation, and if they want info on registries and such they'll know who to ask.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    tacosandtumstacosandtums member
    edited April 2014
    Thanks everyone for your input. In my case it's just two aunts and a cousin who live in Florida. I think I will include them on the guest list so they receive an invitation so they know if they happen to be in town, they're welcome to come! :)

ETA: wording
  • Options
    RC1014 said:
    Thanks everyone for your input. In my case it's just two aunts and a cousin who live in Florida. I think I will include them on the guest list so they receive an invitation so they know if they happen to be in town, they're welcome to come! :)

ETA: wording
    I think that's the way I would do it too.  
  • Options
    ccam said:
    In our family, all of the ladies receive an invite even if we assume they won't make the trip for a shower.  There have been a few times we were surprised and out of state family were going to be around or made the trip for a shower/party. That being said, I think it depends on the family. 
    This is the same way for my family. If we left someone out because we assumed they wouldn't come $hit would hit the fan, lol. 
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"