August 2013 Moms
Options

Anyone on/used depo?

I'm starting to get crazy uber paranoid of getting pregnant again. MH and I both agree that we are not ready for #2 and won't be for several more years.

I'm currently on the mini pill but it freaks me out since it's not the most effective (and @MommyKristin88‌ scared me with her story!!). I only have about 3 more months that I'll be pumping so technically I could tough it out and get on the regular pill then but I'm thinking it would be great to be on something that's not daily.

Anyone ever gotten the depo shots? Experience? Yay? Nay?
photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
My baby is ONE!!

Re: Anyone on/used depo?

• Options
    I've been reading up on it and the weight gain scares me (I always have a hard time losing weight the right way).

But the no period thing sounds like a huge plus.

Did you go to the doctors office every month? It's not something you do yourself is it?
    My baby is ONE!!

• Options
    LEMSALEMSA member
    I didn't do well on it. I gained wt and had a lot of acne. And when I went off it, I bled for ages. Got back on BCP to regulate that.

My fav is the nuva ring. I kept it in for 4 wks, out for 1 (your supposed to do in for 3 wks but whatever).

If you want a stick it and forget it I liked the patch. I put the patch on, then some baby power around it--that cut down the stickiness. Change in a week.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Another Depo failure. We think its what pushed me over the PPD cliff. I basically was just alive. I had zero interest in anything from sex, to work, to personal interests, and to an extent, LO. I have been on the minipill for 1m now and feel 10x better

• Options
    RevezRevez member
    I've never been on depo, so I can't offer any advice. But have you considered an iud instead?

• Options
    Revez said:

I've never been on depo, so I can't offer any advice. But have you considered an iud instead?

Those really freak me out. I don't know how comfortable I am having something up there. :( I'm weird.
    My baby is ONE!!

• Options

Sorry to freak you out. The mini pill just wasn't a good option for me.

I'm team IUD. I recommend it to everyone. Paragard did me well for 22 months. I had side effects from it, but my doctor said I was the 1st patient in all these years that he's ever had it happen to. So, my side effects weren't major, and weren't a deal breaker, because I kept it so long.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• Options
    I was on the depo for 9 months and bled every minute. It was awful. They neglected to point that 1 in 5 women have that type of reaction for up to a year. Plus the mood swings were really intense. I felt like I didn't have control of myself. I kept hoping it would get better because of the convience, but I finally gave up after he 3rd cycle.
  • Options
    I was the same as @mybabyhop‌ I bleed everyday on it. So it was wonderful bc because I never wanted to have sex.
  • Options
    I had a doctor who let me stay on it for years and you should never be on it that long. I now have severe osteopathic from it. I also developed blood clots in my leg and ended up having a stroke. Along with all the other things like weight gain, depression, loss of sec drive. I honestly don't know why this medicine is still on the market. I would never advise anyone to take it.
  • Options

Ay yai yai ladies!! Well I'm officially scared of ever trying depo now.

I'm going to call my doctor and see what other options there are.  I'm a weirdo and the thought of having something stuck up there (IUD, nuva ring, etc) freaks me out.  I also don't trust the patch (too many IRL friends with bad experiences).  I may be stuck with the pill...  :|

My baby is ONE!!

• Options
    Yeah... the depo shot seems a little scary. But everyone will have a different experience. 

I've done bcp, the patch, and I currently have Paragard. 

Of the three I recommend Paragard. SO nice not to think about it. But I do have to admit that I also am not 100% comfortable with a little foreign body inside of me, but it works. I had NO problem getting it inserted and haven't had any problems at all since. 

Maybe just talk to your doctor about your concerns and what you're comfortable with and see what the best fit is. 

• Options
    @starscream is this why I'm constantly hungry??? I was attributing it to breast feeding.... I feel like I could eat all day! Luckily haven't had a problem with weight gain yet.

Anyways I started Depo because I kept forgetting the mini pill. It's the same hormone as the mini pill but has been linked with osteoporosis. However, my doctor mentioned that the link isn't as strong as originally thought and isn't concerned about it. He just recommended I take in a healthy amount of calcium.

So far so good :)
    **July Siggy Challenge**
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"