Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Speech

DS has always been very vocal and picked up words easily so we're very lucky there. He turned 4 two weeks ago and I've been noticing that he has trouble making a "th" and "st" sound. Ex. when he says thanks it sounds like nanks. I'm wondering how much of this is normal kid speak or if it's something I should bring up to the pediatrician. I wouldn't really think much of it but he is tongue tied and sucks his thumb (we're working on that one). Does anyone else notice their preschooler pronouncing words like this?

Re: Speech

• Options
    If you Google something like "speech sounds and age of acquisition" you should find charts that tell you at what age the child should have mastered what sound.  I know the "th" and "sh" sounds are later.  I think closer to 1st grade (age 6 or 7).  I wouldn't worry about it.  :)
    DD~6 years old~born June 6, 2008 (1st grade)
    DS~4 years old~born November 6, 2010 (1st year of preschool)
  • Options
    2Gma2Gma member
    My 4.5 DD uses "F" for the "TH" sound.  She also uses "W" for the "L" sound.  I was told by her SLP (she is in speech for stuttering) that its normal for this age up until 1st grade or so.
    DD#1 5 years DD#2 3 years
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    g8trkimg8trkim member
    Thanks ladies!

• Options
    if those are the only sounds, then it is normal. if there are additional sounds, i would recommend you talk with your pediatrician about having your DS evaluated with the early intervention program in your area. his age is highly critical for young children and making progress in their speech.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    yes, but there is also services for children until they are five and go to kindergarten. each state it is different, in my state it is early intervention until they are five.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    When I was in elementary school I was in a pull out program because I said "th" instead of "s" I got it and am not pefectly normal.  I think its just a kid thing and it's pretty cute.  
    Yesterday DD (4) said "I'm going to skim class tomorrow... Mommy I said skim."  I replied "yes, you're so silly."  She responded "no, I just don't talk right."
    It's a kid thing, they'll get it.
    BTW skim=swim.  Up until a few months ago she swam in a "cool"  I'll have to check to see if she's got "pool" yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"