Babies: 3 - 6 Months

night time feedings?

How many times a night does your LO get up to feed? Occasionally mine goes a 7hr stretch at night but on average she goes down at 9 or 10 after her 8 oclock feeding and wakes up around 12 to eat again and then drifts back off till about 4 and then eats and then goes back down till about 8 or 9. Should i be trying to just get her back to sleep? She doesnt even open her eyes most of the time just eats and then drifts back off without a fuss. I can even change her diaper after she eats and she doesnt bother to open her eyes.

Re: night time feedings?

• How much is she eating each time? If it's just an ounce or two she isn't hungry.

I think you are going to her too quickly. What prompts you to go in there if she isn't even awake? Is she crying? My LO fusses and keeps his eyes closed and goes back to sleep.

What made you decide to feed her while she is still sleeping? I think you need to distinguish between sleep sounds and "Mom, I'm awake and hungry. I need your help" noises.
  • She is eating probably 5 minutes from each side when she does and i know she is awake bc she sleeps in her bassinet beside my bed and i can hear her stirring. I will look in and if her paci is out then i put back in and sometimes she will settle back down but mostly she just continues to squirm until i feed her.
  • Loading the player...
  • arheins said:

She is eating probably 5 minutes from each side when she does and i know she is awake bc she sleeps in her bassinet beside my bed and i can hear her stirring. I will look in and if her paci is out then i put back in and sometimes she will settle back down but mostly she just continues to squirm until i feed her.

Have you ever let her squirm to see if she settles and goes back to sleep? You would be surprised how much rolling around they can do without waking. My LO doesn't STTN all the time, but when he does he still has several episodes each night of turning himself completely around, flipping into his stomach, flipping back to his side, and making all kinds of noise.

The only time I go in when he isn't awake is to try to pat him and soothe him when he's having a nightmare.
  • I try too but as soon as she starts to get fussy then i will just pick her up and feed her. Does your LO make noise or just toss and turn?
  • cagoldicagoldi member
    edited April 2014
    arheins said:

I try too but as soon as she starts to get fussy then i will just pick her up and feed her. Does your LO make noise or just toss and turn?

Both. I let him fuss without intervening. If he starts yelping or crying I jump and get him immediately. Granted, it's harder to let your LO fuss and see if they settle on their own when they are in your room. How big is her bassinet and how old is she?
  • cagoldi said:
    I try too but as soon as she starts to get fussy then i will just pick her up and feed her. Does your LO make noise or just toss and turn?
    Both. I let him fuss without intervening. If he starts yelping or crying I jump and get him immediately. Granted, it's harder to let your LO fuss and see if they settle on their own when they are in your room. How big is her bassinet and how old is she?
    She is almost 5 months. Her bassinet is the one that comes with the pack and plays so it is as big as the pack and play. I think she has enough room. We were cosleeping with her in the bed with me and my husband but she started tossing and turning so much neither of us could sleep so we recently (about 2 weeks now) switched her to her bassinet and she is doing pretty well. before we had to cosleep with her bc she would only sleep about an hour at the most and then when we started cosleeping she would just sleep away haha. Has your LO always been in his room? I am finding it hard for her not to be right beside me. I constantly get up to check on her and make sure she is still breathing - i would be a mess if she was all teh way in the nursery.
  • cagoldicagoldi member
    edited April 2014
    We moved my LO into his crib in his own room at 5 weeks. Prior to that he slept in a bassinet next to my bed. He had gotten too big for it so we moved him into the nursery. He loves having freedom to move around, especially now that we don't swaddle. That was a rough transition. We all got better sleep once he went into the crib. It was hard for me to get used to at first. If you're not ready, you're not ready and that's perfectly fine.
  • My LM gets up about once a night, anywhere between 1:30 and 3:30.  He's asleep by 8ish every night, so I feed him whenever he wakes up since its usually be 6 or so hours since his last meal. 
  • I'm struggling with this as well, my LO is almost 5 months and on occasion only wakes once so I feed her then, but more often is still waking up 2-3 times a night.

She sleeps in her own room but when she wakes up its a loud crying so I go to her.

I've tried just rubbing her belly or picking her up but she wants (maybe expects?) to nurse

My pediatrician said I could try to just comfort her but she also said it was ok to nurse her still- she didn't push that I should try hard to stop the nursing.

But I'd like to make sure she's not just nursing because she comes to expect it or needs to nurse to fall back asleep

• F47F47 member
    I'm struggling with this as well, my LO is almost 5 months and on occasion only wakes once so I feed her then, but more often is still waking up 2-3 times a night. She sleeps in her own room but when she wakes up its a loud crying so I go to her. I've tried just rubbing her belly or picking her up but she wants (maybe expects?) to nurse My pediatrician said I could try to just comfort her but she also said it was ok to nurse her still- she didn't push that I should try hard to stop the nursing. But I'd like to make sure she's not just nursing because she comes to expect it or needs to nurse to fall back asleep
    Same, same and same. So tired. And wondering if he's just expecting to nurse, as opposed to being hungry.

Especially b/c he usually has a bottle at 5 p.m. at the nanny's, then I nurse around 6:30, then again around 8-8:30 right before bed. Then, almost like clockwork, he's up at 11, 1 and 3-sh. Then he gets up for good between 6 - 6:30. Is he THAT hungry? Sigh...
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• F47 said:

I'm struggling with this as well, my LO is almost 5 months and on occasion only wakes once so I feed her then, but more often is still waking up 2-3 times a night.

She sleeps in her own room but when she wakes up its a loud crying so I go to her.

I've tried just rubbing her belly or picking her up but she wants (maybe expects?) to nurse

My pediatrician said I could try to just comfort her but she also said it was ok to nurse her still- she didn't push that I should try hard to stop the nursing.

But I'd like to make sure she's not just nursing because she comes to expect it or needs to nurse to fall back asleep

Same, same and same. So tired. And wondering if he's just expecting to nurse, as opposed to being hungry.

Especially b/c he usually has a bottle at 5 p.m. at the nanny's, then I nurse around 6:30, then again around 8-8:30 right before bed. Then, almost like clockwork, he's up at 11, 1 and 3-sh. Then he gets up for good between 6 - 6:30. Is he THAT hungry? Sigh...

How old is your baby?  Your ticker says you're 4 weeks past due.  If your baby is 4 weeks old, yes, he's probably that hungry.

Agreed. Sounds about right for a NB, if not even more frequently.
  • AGB03AGB03 member
    I'm struggling with this too.  My little guy is 19 weeks old and gets up two times a night.  His last feeding is between 7 and 8 pm and then he will wake up like clock work at 11 pm and again at 4 am to feed.  Then I'm up for the day at 5:30 am for work.  Last night I nursed him for 20 minutes at each waking.  He is in our room so I try to let him fuss a bit and see if he settles, he never does.  Then he just starts crying, kind of out of control crying.  I'm starting to think that I'm doing something wrong and maybe he expects to eat.  I don't know though...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"