May 2014 Moms
Options

Thoughts on castor oil

So my husband and I are planners and are so anxious to meet our LO!

Just heard about taking castor oil from a few friends of mine and heard it works like a charm!

I am getting checked this tues for my "39"w appt (which is really 38w5d) and if I'm dilating, we are thinking about taking castor oil Friday night so we can have our LO on Sat 39w2d) - thoughts? Has anyone tried this? It's my first, should I just wait it out? Or what's the harm, she's practically full term! A little diarrhea never hurt anyone and this way i would be cleaned out hopefully so I won't poop while pushing!

Thanks!
Michelle

Re: Thoughts on castor oil

• Options
    Just a warning don't expect too many positive responses. It's impossible to plan the day and time your baby will come. Unless you are scheduled for a c-section. Usually FTM tend to go past their due date. Just be patient an wait it out for the safety of your baby. Nobody stays pregnant forever. It may seem like it but trust me baby is coming. GL to you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also check with your dr at your appt and see what their thoughts are for you taking castor oil.
  • Options
    I know ppl who did this though and it totally worked! I was reading other stuff online too & it worked for like 9/10 ppl they had their baby the next day!
  • Options
    My friend just used it, but she was 9 days past due, and wanted to avoid induction. It worked great for her. She had her baby without any additional medications 12 hours after drinking it.
    I'm hoping for a VBAC and am considering taking castor oil if I don't go into labor before my due date, since they'll automatically perform a c-section after that.
    Additionally, when I mentioned it to my mom, she told me it was commonly used in Russia 30+ years ago, and was given to her at the hospital after her water broke but she wasn't progressing. The things you learn.....
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    neems1982neems1982 member
    edited April 2014
    My sister has done it twice with her kids. Her first labor lasted 8 hours, her second lasted 6 hours. I would never do it just because the chance of baby having a bowel movement in the womb. However, with my first I was overdue and in labor for 27 hours and he ended up having a bowel movement anyway. Maybe try safer ways to induce labor naturally like nipple stimulation, eating spicy food or eating eggplant.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've done it twice, as recommended by my doc since I was overdue and a VBAC with my last two. It worked fine- just a bit of diarrhea for a few hours. But, like any thing it will only work if you're ready.
  • Options
    Just thinking about it makes me sick.. I've heard some awful stories. Not what im willing to do. You made it this far, why cant you wait a little longer ?

It's a BOY

• Options
    If you take it and (coincidentally) happen to go into labor, it pretty much guarantees you'll poop on the table. How do you feel about that? Because I haven't seen a post on that in the past 15 minutes.
  • Options
    Hmmm as someone 39 weeks and in the hospital all day Friday with such violent diarrhea and vomiting that I'm shocked didn't send me into labor..Id go with no. Who in their right mind would do that?
    Beyond dehydrated. Not good for baby!
  • Options
    Just .. NO
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    just wait your turn.  you won't be pregnant much longer regardless of what you do or don't do.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    awc1986 said:

What's wrong with a little ole fashioned fuckin'? 

We did try that yesterday along with spicy food and taking a walk, no luck yet!
  • Options
    I'd take the wait over having tummy troubles before and during labour. With all that going on, last thing I really want to do is run to the bathroom or risk soiling the lovely big bath tub at the birthing centre.
  • Options
    My thoughts: nope.

I wouldn't do anything to put me or LO at risk when his arrival is right around the corner.
  • Options
    This is what I think....do it! That way when you're shitting your brains, guts and maybe a baby out you can think "Hey! I'm getting a jump start on post baby weight loss!!1!"
    Ohhh jump starting post baby weight loss! Not a bad idea ;) I always loved how I felt after the stomach flu, but hey, dropping those 5 pounds was so worth it.
  • Options

If that doesn't sufficiently cover it, my answer would be NO.  Taking castor oil is potentially harmful to your baby.  Please do some actual research.

• Options
    neems1982 said:
    My sister has done it twice with her kids. Her first labor lasted 8 hours, her second lasted 6 hours. I would never do it just because the chance of baby having a bowel movement in the womb. However, with my first I was overdue and in labor for 27 hours and he ended up having a bowel movement anyway. Maybe try safer ways to induce labor naturally like nipple stimulation, eating spicy food or eating eggplant.
    This.  A co-worker of mine lost her baby when he had a bowel movement inside her.  It wasn't related to Castor oil, but I would never do anything that would increase that risk.

• Options
    So my husband and I are planners and are so anxious to meet our LO! Just heard about taking castor oil from a few friends of mine and heard it works like a charm! I am getting checked this tues for my "39"w appt (which is really 38w5d) and if I'm dilating, we are thinking about taking castor oil Friday night so we can have our LO on Sat 39w2d) - thoughts? Has anyone tried this? It's my first, should I just wait it out? Or what's the harm, she's practically full term! A little diarrhea never hurt anyone and this way i would be cleaned out hopefully so I won't poop while pushing! Thanks! Michelle
    qfp here too, just in case.
  • Options
    You won't be pregnant forever. Just NO...no no no no nooooo. I'm just a pregnant, 38 weeks, and eager to meet LO as the next girl...but seriously stop "planning" once that baby comes out all your "planning" days are O.V.E.R. Just sayin'. Rarely do things go as planned...it's all on baby's schedule. Enjoy these last few days with your SO. After this...it's not just the two of you anymore. Go out on date nights and just enjoy it! Truuuuuuust mmmmmeeeeee.
  • Options
    @awc1986‌ your posts always put a smile on my face.
    In memory of the angel babies that were too perfect for Earth.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    @awc1986‌ your posts always put a smile on my face.

:\">

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• Options
    danabsddanabsd member
    edited April 2014
    I just LOL'd and people looked at me funny.
    OP it totes works that way, drink up. :-&

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"