2nd Trimester

variations in baby's birth size...

This week at the doctor's office, the doctor mentioned they think my baby boy is going to be bigger than my DD was at birth.  My DD was 6 pounds 12 ounces.  She said given my DH's height/build that she would guess this little guy will be bigger by a pound or so.  Just curious, but was there a lot of variation in the birth weight of your babies or were they similar each time?  Thanks!!!

Re: variations in baby's birth size...

• Both DDs were the exact same length and only 7 oz difference.

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I only have one DD, but my siblings and I were all different. My half brother (older) was 8lbs 14oz, I was 7lbs 8oz, my younger brother was 9lbs 5oz.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • Both of my boys were exactly the same height and weight at birth. I think your birth weight and your partner's tend to be a semi-accurate way to predict approximate weights of your babies. Of course, nothing's a hundred percent.

The baby's birth weight has some correlation to the mother's birth weight. The father has no influence.
  • Both of my boys were exactly the same height and weight at birth. I think your birth weight and your partner's tend to be a semi-accurate way to predict approximate weights of your babies. Of course, nothing's a hundred percent.
    The baby's birth weight has some correlation to the mother's birth weight. The father has no influence.
    I'm glad of that! My DH is 6'4" and was a big baby while I'm only 5'3".

DS came out 7lbs 8oz, 20in. My OB said she thinks DD will be about the same size based off a/s measurements.
  • My kids were all different sizes and my sister who have 4 each had babies who ranged in size. (None tiny but from average to large)

I am going to say it is normal either way because I know many women who are healthy and have healthy pregnancies but their babies were not all similar weights.
  • My sibs and I were totally different from each other. And I was 5 lbs even at birth, full term and my daughter was 10lbs 9 ozs, full term. I think there are a lot of OWTs about birth size, but it is more complex than OWTs can explain away.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• MizooMizoo member
    Both of my boys were exactly the same height and weight at birth. I think your birth weight and your partner's tend to be a semi-accurate way to predict approximate weights of your babies. Of course, nothing's a hundred percent.
    That is good news!  SO was almost 11 lbs when he was born, I was around 7 lbs so thank goodness for this :-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I was 7 lb 11oz and DH was 8 something. DS was 5lb 12oz at 39 weeks. Not sure there's much correlation.

Fall 2013: Fertility treatments = first BFP!!
    07/23/2013 Drew Steven born at 5lb 12oz

02/10/14: Surprise, spontaneous BFP!
    EDD: 10/11/2014 Stick, baby, stick!!

Serious question for anyone who might know: I was a premie with my twin brother at 30 weeks. We each weighed a pound and change.

I always wonder how my weight at birth would work for estimating my kids' weights? I never bothered because I figured my birth weight "didn't matter".

To answer OP's question:
    DD was 5 lbs 11oz in 2011
    DS was 7 lbs 11oz in 2013

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• While I have not had my second baby yet, my son was 8oz at our 20 weeks scan, this baby was 14oz at our scan, thats almost double in size, so maybe this one will be bigger? 
    With my friends it seems that they all had bigger second babies than their first, so I have no idea if there is any way to tell for sure, or if its all a crap shoot!

Good Luck!

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• I was 6lbs10.5oz and both my younger brothers were each 8lbs8oz

My twins were preemies at 2lbs9oz and 3lbs7oz so I don't know how much that will play in what this baby will weigh.

I haven't had my a/s yet so I don't know what this baby is estimated at. The twins were 11oz at 20 weeks.

If I had to guess, I'd guess this one will be somewhere around 6lbs but I think its a crap shoot to guess.

• Both of my boys were 2oz difference in their weight. My second baby was bigger than the first.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DS #1 6/19/09 M/C 4/5/11 DS #2 12/28/12 BPF 1/31/13
  • Both DH & I were over 9lbs at birth. DS was 7lbs 6oz. I'm hoping this DD is about the same as DS. 
  • My DD(#2)  was smaller than DS (#1).  DS was born 3 days late and was 7 lbs 1 oz.  DD was born 6 days early and was 5lbs 10oz.  Both were estimated that they would be around 7lbs at birth based on my growth ultrasound at 32ish weeks. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited April 2014
    I don't know on both my boys Baby 1 was 7 pounds 2 oz and baby 2 was 7 pounds. I gained 50 pounds and then 27 with #2.

I was 6 pounds 6 oz and DH was over 9 pounds. It also had to do with what the mother can carry and body type
  • My DD was 8lbs 5oz  and my DS was 8lbs 9oz. I'm guessing this baby will be around the same size.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • roxyuroxyu member
    I agree that it's a crap shoot.  I was 6lb 4 oz, born via c-section at 39 weeks,  DD#1 was exactly 9lbs (csection 41 weeks) and DD#2 3oz shy of 8lbs (csection at 39 weeks).  

photo b56c04be-4eeb-442e-afb5-397708ea1118.jpg

• Lerisa85Lerisa85 member
    edited April 2014
    Both my boys were 2 weeks early, one from induction and one naturally born and they varied a lot. My first son was 6lb 4oz and my second was 9lb 2oz. I don't think there is a set rule. I am having a girl this time and they say I'm measuring small. I think there are a lot of factors. Your diet, job at the time you were pregnant (I was working full 12 hour days with my 6lb baby and staying at home with my 9lb baby and now I work regular 8 hour days but I am walking all day). 

Edited to add: I am a twin and my brother and I were 3lbs 12oz after being born 7 weeks early. My little brother was 5lb 4oz. So my mom has small babies. When Noah came out at over 9lbs my mom was floored she just couldn't believe it.
  • This makes no sense. Why would the fob have no bearing on the weight?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"