2nd Trimester
Options

Registering for baby #2

What did you register for if anything for your second baby? I feel like I have all the basics but I'd like to know what everyone else is thinking about doing as far as this goes.

Re: Registering for baby #2

• Options
    So family and friends have an idea of what to get you. I am curious how many people have registered and if they did what they registered for. I have not registered but have already had multiple people talking about planning a baby "sprinkle" for me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would register for things you need still so they know. There are so many different bottles and pacifiers (both which you should be replacing) it's good to know what mom prefers. Also if you are going cloth or disposable diapers. Just give them brand ideas for that stuff. I wouldn't register for clothes as the fun in buying clothes is getting to pick cute stuff out to surprise the mom with. I don't see problem registering, my friend did as her kids are 6 years apart and she have everything to other friends who gave to their friends. Plus the cribs and car seats expire now! Just give people the registry only if they ask so be polite. Congratulations on your second!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    IAmPregnant Tickerimage
    Still learning English! Sometimes I don't know what things are named...  :)
  • Options
    I have a super small registry on Amazon (private) just as a list for myself and DH, and for the completion coupon. Other than that family has mostly sent clothes or money for us to spend as we see fit. Also grandparents just ask what we'd like/need. I kind of prefer to just answer people as they ask, if they ask. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I have registered for baby #2 on Target and Amazon because of the reasons other posters have listed, for the completion coupon and to keep track of what I want to buy. There are several things we did not have with DS that I want to try with this baby (examples: ring sling, Halo sleep sack, Rock n Play), plus some things that we used so much we need to replace them (mostly stuff like bottle brushes).

I've also registered for our preferred diapers and wipes so that if anyone does happen to look up our registry, they have a reasonable option that makes sense for a second baby. I will only share the registry if someone asks, but it's nice to be able to pick up one or two things when I go to Target and have it marked off the list.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Just, no. Yuck.

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    A projector music box thing, a small bouncy seat, a humidifier, soap, diapers & wipes, a new bedding set. Its a list for myself, but also an easy way for my mom/whoever to see what i need/plan on buying.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Cchewning said:

So family and friends have an idea of what to get you. I am curious how many people have registered and if they did what they registered for. I have not registered but have already had multiple people talking about planning a baby "sprinkle" for me.

I wouldn't make a registry with the intention of giving it to people. Completion coupon? Awesome! Second baby shower? Gift grabby and tacky.
    Soon to be mommy of 3!
    DS Grayson (3yrs) (Emergency Csec)
    imageDS Camden (1yr) (All natural Vbac)
    DD Isabella due 8/2/2014

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    CchewningCchewning member
    edited April 2014
    I don't want a shower. However my friends do enjoy having small get togethers to celebrate people regardless of how many babies they've had- I have been to numerous second/third showers. And I didn't specifically say I was going to give the registry information out (especially without a request for the Info) I was answering in a general way why someone may want a registry for a second pregnancy and if people registered what it was for. My family all live thousands of miles away which is why they would prefer I do set up a registry and Yes obviously the coupon.
  • Options
    I have not registered for anything for #2 but just got a $20 gift card from Target that will become active once you have set up a registry.  I figure I might do that just to get the gift card and the completion coupon discounts.  DH and I are buying everything for #2.
  • Options
    Cchewning said:

What did you register for if anything for your second baby? I feel like I have all the basics but I'd like to know what everyone else is thinking about doing as far as this goes.

Most of the items on my registry are parts for my pump, bags for milk, new breast pads, and a few new towels, also a potty a booster seat and a few other things for my toddler, i only have a registry for the coupon, and to keep track of what i still want...

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• Options
    Please don't let this turn in to another debate over baby showers/sprinkles... The other one is still going!!
  • Options
    Why would you register for baby 2?

Not all registries are made public, you know. Lots of people register for the completion coupon so they can purchase items themselves.
    Right, except she said it was so others would know what to get her. 

The completion coupon is pretty damn awesome though, I'm looking forward to registering just for that.

Not all registries are made public, you know. Lots of people register for the completion coupon so they can purchase items themselves.

The completion coupon is pretty damn awesome though, I'm looking forward to registering just for that.

I was not answering her question, I was answering yours.:-)

• Options

slovacmom said:

I would register for things you need still so they know. There are so many different bottles and pacifiers (both which you should be replacing) it's good to know what mom prefers. Also if you are going cloth or disposable diapers. Just give them brand ideas for that stuff. I wouldn't register for clothes as the fun in buying clothes is getting to pick cute stuff out to surprise the mom with. I don't see problem registering, my friend did as her kids are 6 years apart and she have everything to other friends who gave to their friends. Plus the cribs and car seats expire now! Just give people the registry only if they ask so be polite. Congratulations on your second!
    Wait... Enlighten a FTM... why do  you need to replace bottles?

Not the bottles so much as the nipples. They get worn down, can be cracked, etc. It's best to replace them.

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    What is this 'completion coupon' everyone references?

It must be freaking awesome...and now I want to know.  :)

Time to hit the Googles and see what it is!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Mother to 16 year old Austin (MCJROTC Sgt., Trumpet playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Air Force Pilot!)
    Proud Stepmother to 12 year old Josh (Baseball playing, Saxophone playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Doctor!)
    Proud Mother to baby Kaylee (Stuffed toy playing, Adorable smiling baby and hopeful Rodeo Princess!)

• Options
    What is this 'completion coupon' everyone references?

It must be freaking awesome...and now I want to know.  :)

Time to hit the Googles and see what it is!!
    Major registries offer a 10% coupon to "finish" buying all the things on your registry that weren't gifted by your EDD. 
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • Options

I was not answering her question, I was answering yours.:-)
    I might be confused. That's not surprising though! I tend to stay that way.
    Nope, lol. The confusion was mine. This is why I hate bumping from my phone, blah.

• Options
    I didn't know Amazon did a completion code! I totally need a new video monitor right now (for my toddler) even though I'm only 20 weeks along, and I need to get one with two cameras to accomodate baby #2. Maybe I can make a registry and just bump up my due date. Hmmmm....

Otherwise, ditto what PPs said. If family specifically asked me "what do you need for baby #2?" I would probably say either "nothing," "clothes are always nice," or "diapers" (depending on who asked.) The only things I'm really going to need this time around are mostly for breastfeeding (gel pads, nursing pads, etc), and I'm not going to ask anyone for those. My mom will be hosting a "meet the baby" open house for me once our second is born (we moved away from my hometown, so most people won't get to see LO unless we invite everyone over to meet him/her,) but invites will be informal (word of mouth or email,) and we're going to ask people not to bring any gifts. Even if you don't mean it that way, a gift registry for a second baby can seem gift-grabby.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks. I suppose I just should have posted a question asking what (if anything) is on your checklist for baby #2, maybe that wouldn't have attracted this feedback.
  • Options
    We registered for the completion discount and so that I could have a shopping list for myself. I would only give the information to our mothers if they ask if we need anything, though.

I have: PnP, RnP, PnP mattress and extra sheets (planning on having baby in our room for the fist year or so), new bottles and pacifiers, a couple more Miracle Blankets, another monitor, nursing supplies, and a wrap. These were all things that I felt needed to be replaced, that we needed extra of, that we never had to begin with, or that we had gotten rid of between pregnancies.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Cchewning said:
    Thanks. I suppose I just should have posted a question asking what (if anything) is on your checklist for baby #2, maybe that wouldn't have attracted this feedback.
    This. Oh, how the flames start flying about anything that could possibly be construed as gift-grabby.

Aaaanyway, I'm sure there have been/ will be ample threads about what to get for baby #2. I'm looking forward to those, as I can already think of a dozen things off the top of my head- especially for STM having babies close together.
    DH and I are Americans living an adventure in Kenya since 2011
    DX: PCOS (annovulatory)
    Feb 2012: IUI #1 w/ only 1M sperm and a single follie = BFP! 
    Nov 2012: Little buddy born in Kenya
    Nov 2013: Trying for a second, still w PCOS
    Dec 2013: IUI cycle canceled for non-response
    Jan 2014: Break cycle BFP!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am also planning to register for baby #2, even though we aren't having a baby shower or anything like that. We found out yesterday that we are having another boy. I posted it to Facebook last night and by the time dinner at my parent's house was over, my mom had two people call so see if she knew what we needed for this one. That confirmed to me that I should have something out there for people who want to get us something. I have a very close family and we almost always bring gifts to the hospital when meeting the baby. I am going to make a registry at Target for both things I need and things I want. Since we kept almost everything from our last child it will be easy to pick some cheap cute stuff to toss on there. I borrowed a pack n play from a friend last time and she is having a baby 2 months before me so I am returning that. My list will consist of most sleep sacks (those were amazing), bath stuff, diapers, wipes, pack n play, bassinet, bottles, pacifiers, and then some new clothes and toys.
  • Options
    BeachMBeachM member
    edited April 2014
    I have private registries for the completion coupons.  I figure if I can get 10% off the Rock n Play I won't be quite as pissed if it's not the miracle newborn sleep machine everyone says it is.

My super tacky friends who offered a super tacky sprinkle that I super tackily accepted do not know I have private registries.  I mean, seriously, I gotta rein in my tackiness somehow right?  ;)

• Options
    Am I the only one who still got the coupon but had nothing purchased off my registry. Not a thing was bought, but I still got the 10%?

It's a BOY

• Options
    I have a registry just to organize myself so I can buy things slowly since baby is a different gender. We live far away from family and a few have already asked me what we'd need so its just a way for me to stay on track and for family to get what we'd actually need if they WANT to purchase a gift. Oh and the completion discount ;)
    Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
  • Options
    I have a secret registry solely for the purpose of a completion discount for the few things that we need to buy (double stroller, crib, dresser).  If my parents or my in-laws want to buy us a gift, I will direct them towards that registry, otherwise, nobody will ever know. ;-)

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I am having a second shower...but my children will be over 6 years apart and different sexes. If they had been close in age I wouldn't be. My mother-in-law told me she had a shower for each of her kids who are all only 2 years apart because each child is special and deserves one, gifts don't have to be given, it is just time to get together and celebrate the new life. 
  • Options
    Is a 10% discount that great? Doesn't BRU normally have a 20% one floating around at all time?

• Options
    ss265ss265 member
    Is a 10% discount that great? Doesn't BRU normally have a 20% one floating around at all time?
    It's worth it on brands that are excluded from the regular coupons like Baby Jogger and if you have a lot of little things to buy and don't want to make multiple trips. For me personally, I get 20% coupons from BRU and $5 off $15 coupons and 20% off coupons from both Buy Buy Baby and Bed Bath and Beyond (which can be used at BRU) so I ended up using those on the items left over on my registry. I can see the completion discount being valuable if you live in an area that only has BRU though.

• Options

I am having a second shower...but my children will be over 6 years apart and different sexes. If they had been close in age I wouldn't be. My mother-in-law told me she had a shower for each of her kids who are all only 2 years apart because each child is special and deserves one, gifts don't have to be given, it is just time to get together and celebrate the new life. 

@ambermarie614 Clearly your MIL doesn't understand the concept of showers.

Furthermore, neither a large age gap or different sexes make it appropriate for you to have a shower.  If gifts don't have to be given, then why even mention that?  It's because you obviously need and/or want stuff for your new baby.  

Showers are for FTM, to welcome them to motherhood and "shower" them with gifts to care for her baby.  Once you are a mother, you do not need to be re-welcomed.  

Also, showers don't celebrate the new baby (who isn't born yet).  The celebrate the mother to be. How can they celebrate a guest of honor who isn't born?  

Sigh.

I was just about to ask this question. I'm glad you answered it before I asked lol. 

But can I ask why if you have a girl first then boy years later or reverse then you don't get showered? I know you don't need one. I'm just kind of lost & confused on these shower posts, I haven't gone to a "second" shower but I have seen them posted on FB. And people still attend and buy multiple gifts. Is this an "old school" generation thing not to have one? (don't be offended lol I know generations gaps is a huge issue to women)  

I'm a FTM so to get up to speed, I could get a coupon code if I have a registry. I really didn't think people bought items off registries as I never have. Oops. I just thought they were idea lists. So if no one buys do I still get a code? And how do you let people know if you already purchased something so they don't waste their money? 

Yes you still get the coupon code if no one buys off of it. People that buy off the registry are supposed to tell the cashier when it is bought and it shows that item has been purchased, it will even show purchases made for that person that were not on their registry. But only if the person buying the items tells the cashier.

I can see some women having a second shower. My cousin married a woman that already had a 9 year old girl and they are now pregnant with their first child together. I have no problem with my family throwing her a shower since it is my cousins first child. Now on the other hand my friend that has 3 under 3.5, I don't really agree with having full blown showers for each one.
    photo dca9b006-0f54-4503-ad9d-536560d9d80f.jpg
    Mr C born 10/25/11  Miss M born 9/11/14
  • Options
    It is very frustrating to put the time into a registry and then not have people follow it. I registered for certain things at certain amounts for a reason, so I wouldn't have to take the time to take things back and have doubles and triples of things. Some people just don't realize the point of a registry.

I'm making a registry for this LO just so I can get the completion coupon, and it's easier for me to keep a list on line for myself and gradually buy off of it.
  • Options
    DjcieplyDjcieply member
    edited May 2014
    Darbie914 said:
    Djcieply said:
    It is very frustrating to put the time into a registry and then not have people follow it. I registered for certain things at certain amounts for a reason, so I wouldn't have to take the time to take things back and have doubles and triples of things. Some people just don't realize the point of a registry. I'm making a registry for this LO just so I can get the completion coupon, and it's easier for me to keep a list on line for myself and gradually buy off of it.
    I think you don't understand the point of a registry.  It's not a list of demands - it is a SUGGESTION.  People can spend their money on whatever they want.  It's up to you to buy what you want.

Returning items really doesn't take that much time.  Promise.
    Im not saying its a complete list of demands I know it is a SUGGESTION. But the person I was responding back to didnt even understand how a registry worked, saying she had never even bought off them or even looked at them as a suggestion. I was just meaning that people put time into them and it does get frustrating to put time into something and it not be used at all. 

I on the other hand buy from people registries because they obviously want and need the things they are asking for. I might throw something else in small not on the registry but the bulk of the gift comes from it.

Edit: quote fail
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"