Pennsylvania Babies
Options

Measure ahead, then behind?

Sorry to be a PW.

I had an OB appt this morning and left feeling a little confused and concerned. There were times during my 2nd tri that I measured ahead and by the next appt I measured on time.  Dr said that's normal... growth spurts then not growing much but staying on track.

2 weeks ago I was measuring 2 weeks ahead (was measuring 36 weeks when I was 34).  Now today, at 36 weeks I am only measuring 33 weeks.  She rechecked 4 times and is sending me for an ultra sound this afternoon.  She asked if I had been leaking fluid but I haven't noticed any.  She said that she didn't think the baby was too big/small for 36 weeks so I guess the u/s is just to make sure things are ok?

It does seem like he's dropped a little bit.  Maybe that could cause the change in measurement?  She checked my cervix and it's closed but soft.

Any thoughts?  Did this happen to anyone else?

{Blog}
TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Measure ahead, then behind?

• Options

I measured 2 weeks difference in a matter of 5 minutes, if that makes you feel any better.  Does the same person measure you each time?  That could be one difference. 

I don't remember the exact measurements when it happen to me, but when she had said the number the first time, I questioned it because it didn't seem right compared to the last time.  Measured it again, and made it 2 less.   It's nice that they will check with an u/s though, it will be nice to for you to see your baby again!

• Options
    It was the same OB who measured me last time and this time.  She checked the measurement twice at the last appt and 4 times at this appt.  I'm hoping the difference means nothing and I am excited to see the baby again.  Thanks for sharing your experience.
    {Blog}
    TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

This happened to my best friend before she had her baby. She always measured two weeks ahead and then a few weeks before she gave birth was measuring really small. You could see a big difference just by LOOKING at her. The doctors just told her that the baby dropped. He was born two weeks before his due date (what he originally measured...she didn't know when she got pregnant) and was absolutely fine.

Let us know how your ultrasound goes!!!!!

• Options

I measured ahead almost the entire time with both of my girls until they dropped then I measured right on or behind. 

good luck with your u/s

• Options

I don't think that "measuring" is very accurate.  It has to depend on the baby's position.  And even if they give you a measurement with the ultrasound, that's not accurate, either.  But at least you'll get another ultrasound and get to see your little one.  Good luck and keep us updated! 

I was just looking at a post of yours on the Central PA newlyweds board and thought to myself how close you are to your due date!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"