April 2014 Moms
Options

WW'A14ers'D

My (amazing) doctor is going on vacation the day before my due date. (I'm due 4/26) on last Friday I had an appointment and she told me that I am dilated to a 5 and that she was on call this weekend so if I were to have 'any' kind of contractions and I came in that she would admit me and get things started. I told my SO and he asked that we wait and schedule for Wednesday because he has busy days on Monday and Tuesday at work (ummmm ok....?) we decided not to go in this weekend (still just annoying contractions, nothing too painful, and we wanted to spend Easter with DD)

This entire pregnancy I have told SO and my doc that I do not want to be induced (again) but now I'm really starting to change my mind.

So my question, would you schedule an induction to be a few days before EDD to be with a doctor that you really do like? Or wait it out and possibly have a doc you have never met?

Re: WW'A14ers'D

• Options
    My doc is actively trying to avoid an induction as long as possible, it's my understanding that unless there is a medically indicated concern that would necessitate moving things along, outcomes are statistically better letting labor start on its own. For that reason, I would rather risk having one of the other OBs in the practice (I have met all three and adore my doc, definitely prefer her over the other two) deliver than schedule.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would wait it out. If there is no reason to induce there is no WAY I would choose to. Baby will come when they are ready but there is no way I would induce BEFORE my EDD if there was no medical reason to.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Acers said:

I'd personally wait it out.  I really really wanted to avoid induction.  I had a complete stranger for a doc at the hospital, and honestly it made no difference.  I was blessed with an amazing RN who was on a 7-7 shift and I was admitted at 7am and gave birth at 5:36pm, so she was with me all through labor and delivery.  The doctor didn't even get called in until I was crowning. The nurse was the one who coached me through all the pushing.  The doc caught the baby, clamped the cord, stitched me up, and was out of there...so it could have been anyone really.  Just my 2 cents.

I liked the nurse I had when we made our last false alarm trip to L&D so much that I am really crossing my fingers we get her when it's go time. I'm sure they are all great, but her personality and bedside manner suited us so well!!

• Options
    I was induced for pre e and my doc happened to be leaving for vacation later inthe day. A stranger doc broke my water and a doc I never met delivered since I wasnt ready before my doc left. It honestly wasnt a big deal. My nurse was AMAZING and she was the one who did all the work basically until the baby was crowning. Then when the stranger doc came in, I didnt really care WHO delivered my baby at that point - he was pretty awesome though.

• Options
    I would not induce for my preferred doctor. I agree that the OB has a small role in the actual birth (having had 2 very unique births where I spent 15 hours and 45 minutes respectively at the same hospital under OB/midwife care from the same practice).
  • Options
    Good points ladies! The nurses really do most of the laboring and that is bound to be a stranger. Hopefully we get a good one! I think I will just wait it out and hope he comes on his own in the next few days!
  • Options
    With my first, my doctor tried to do the same thing to me. I told her i did not want to induce before my due date even though she was going on vacation. It turns out that i did go into labor when she was gone. At the hospital i did not care who got the baby out of me when i was pushing! I just wanted her out!
  • Options
    I had a doctor I'd never met before.  At our practice, you get whoever is on call when you go in.   Actually, I was in labor long enough that I saw a few on-call doctors :-)   I really only saw them once or twice -- you'll really see the nurses a LOT more than the doctor.

If I had any kind of complications in my pregnancy, then I might have wanted MY doctor.  But otherwise, I really don't thin it matters a lot.
    imageDSC_9275  image

• Options
    I was going to be in the same boat. 4/24 due and my dr would be leaving town 4/25. For me, personally, my doctor is highly important to me. Since my placenta abruption occured and led to emergency delivery attempts and eventually an emergency c-section. My anesthesiologist told me that my calmness kept the baby out of further distress and got him out faster which is huge as he was swallowing blood. Obviously this is a rare case and a rare outcome but because my doc and I had spoken regarding my wishes I knew that approaching c-section meant there was no other option and I could be confident in that. I would schedule, personally
  • Options
    If you're totally healthy and there aren't any risks in your pregnancy, I'd say wait it out. Ask your doc who the BEST replacement is...who is most like her in terms of philosophy and personality. Maybe try to meet with that person at your next appointment so you two can talk about your plan? My personal plan is to go sans medication/all natural and I'm not looking forward to my pending induction on Sunday if my body doesn't get into action before then.

Most important aspect about this decision is to feel confident about it and relaxed about it!
    September Siggy Challenge: Singing in the Shower

• Options
    Acers said:

I'd personally wait it out.  I really really wanted to avoid induction.  I had a complete stranger for a doc at the hospital, and honestly it made no difference.  I was blessed with an amazing RN who was on a 7-7 shift and I was admitted at 7am and gave birth at 5:36pm, so she was with me all through labor and delivery.  The doctor didn't even get called in until I was crowning. The nurse was the one who coached me through all the pushing.  The doc caught the baby, clamped the cord, stitched me up, and was out of there...so it could have been anyone really.  Just my 2 cents.

This. Exactly. My midwife went off 24 hour call 3 hours before DD was born. An OB with her practice came mid way through me pushing and basically used the vacuum (due to decels) and stitched me up. I could've cared less who was done there. The RN was my best friend! Who your nurse is far outweighs the doc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"