June 2014 Moms
Options

baby carriers

If you guys don't mind... I was thinking maybe we could have a little more in-depth convo on baby carriers. We talked about it in the newbie thread a bit ago, But I'd like to open it up and maybe get some more feedback.

STM's, what do you use? Why do you like it? How do you use it (around the house, shopping, etc)

FTM's, what do you plan on using? What were you looking for? How/when do you think you'll use it?

And here it is - wait for it - my SS portion! Do the dads use a carrier or plan to? Do they have a preference?

I feel like I want to baby wear mostly at home for the contact, so I got a ka'tan for myself... I think I'll be using the stroller more when it and about.

DH wants to be able to leave the stroller at home and baby wear when he's out (this kills me everytime, so cute), but would like something structured. I showed him the ergo and he wasn't crazy about it - he didn't like that the baby was just pressed up against you, with no fabric "holding him in" for lack of a better term. Any other suggestions?

image        image

Re: baby carriers

• Options
    steprozzsteprozz member
    edited April 2014
    we LOVE our tulas! they are so comfy and cute and have the best support out of all the SSCs we have tried (ergo, boba, and tula). we use them the most. I also have a ring sling that I love for the newborn squish stage. it's really easy to use and good for quick up and downs. I haven't tried my hand at actual woven wraps yet but am hoping to get one for Mother's Day to try it out. I hear there's a much larger learning curve with those.

I use them mostly around the house when I need to get things done and DS is being clingy. I plan to attempt mostly hands free nursing with them when LO arrives since I have a feeling I won't be able to sit and nurse with a 19 month old also needing attention. I also use them when I am running errands and just need to run into the store for one or two things I don't need a cart for. it's much faster and DS doesn't get annoyed at having to sit in the cart being pushed backwards- he likes to be on my back and see where we are going and talk to everyone.

eta yes DH wears DS especially now that I have gotten super pregnant and it's a little harder for me. I can do it just not for a long period of time.
  • Options
    I plan on baby wearing a ton so we got a tula, ergo and ktan breeze. It's a whole lot of baby carriers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

With my first I used the moby wrap a lot the first few months, but after that I felt it was to much of a PITA and took to long to tie. I felt that I needed something that would be faster especially when I go out with both children.

I researched a ton of carriers and I really liked the ergobaby carriers but I didn't feel comfortable paying the price for it when I only plan on using it the first year. Also we live in sw oklahoma and summer gets extremely hot so I wanted a carrier that was light weight and breatheable for LO. I found the Boba Air Baby Carrier on Amazon that seems to have great reviews only down side is it is not made for infants under 15lbs, which has been hard to find in any carrier except the Ergobaby which you can use for infants with the infant insert.

overall, Im still undecided but Im pretty sure I will chose between these two unless there are better suggestions that work with what I am needing it for.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    I used the K'tan with all 3 girls and love it! Have no intentions of trying any other brand carrier.

DH did get a camo K'tan as well but NEVER ended up using it. I was the sole baby wearer.
  • Options
    joules235 said:
    I use the K'tan and the Ergo I don't wear DD very much anymore but it was so awesome in the airport over spring break. When she, and I, were smaller I wore her all over the place. On walks, grocery store, at home if she was fussy and I was busy, the list goes on. The hands free snuggles are great, I can go out and do stuff while I'm nursing and holding my baby. Shopping with a infant car seat in the car is pretty much impossible unless you are buying like 5 things.

I can't think of a structured carrier that holds the baby like you H want but I assure you the kid is not coming out of that thing. H loved the ergo and wore DD hiking and xc skiing in it a lot. He hated the K'tan and the Moby.  The only one I can think of that is more "secure" would be a frame style hiking backpack carrier. They stand up by themselves and the baby is buckled in, baby also needs to be sitting unassisted before riding in one. DD is actually passed out in this picture.

I'm buying a llilebaby breeze (the mesh one) this time because I have heard it is easier to get on and it is the only carrier with an ergonomic front facing position.

@joules235 thanks. That looks like a little much for daily use but I'm glad to hear you and H wear the ergo on hikes, etc. maybe that will ease DH's mind. Or I'll just have to bring him into a store with a doll or to a baby wearing group and let him see for himself.

image        image

• Options
    When C was super tiny I used the Moby.  She hated all but one way of tying it (called the Kangaroo I think, essentially looks like what they show on the package but inside out).  As she got bigger I moved to a MeiTei style carrier which worked well, but I always felt like she was too low because I have such a long torso, and it was hard to get it to stay higher up on my waist, it kept wanting to sink down to my hips.  I ordered a Lillebaby as a cheaper version of an Ergo and it's been great.  Snaps instead of ties, super easy to use, and can be used for front or back carry.  We still have all three of those, and I've added an Ergo because I like the cover they have for the baby's head, given that with C I'm sure we'll be outside a lot for her to run around.

I did not like that free sling you can get as long as you pay the $7 in shipping and handling.  I know they are popular and the link comes up once every couple of months, but I hated it.  I also didn't like ring slings.  I probably wasn't using them correctly, but I felt like C was going to fall out of them. 

DH will NOT wear the babies.  I offered to get him a more manly one, or now that C is older get him the hiking backpack kind so we can go out and about a bit more.  He refuses.  He'd rather use the stroller or just carry her.  I think he's nuts, but I guess that means I get to choose all the cute carriers because he doesn't care!

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    We got a k'tan and an ergo. I've tried them out with my niece and love the k'tan!! DH will wear both (I got black) but he seemed a lot more comfortable in the ergo since it's more "backpack" like than the k'tan wrap.

• Options

@joules235

I just looked up the lillebaby complete airflow carrier.  I think this one is the same or very close to the breeze?  But this one looks like it has everything i was looking for.  Thanks for sharing

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    We got the ergo in galaxy grey (adorable) and a friend also gave us a Moby wrap and an infantino mei tai style carrier. I plan to wear LO as much as possible, using the Moby at the beginning and then the ergo. When I was showing it to hubs I pointed out the mei tai was a little more masculine looking so maybe he would use it and he pointed out the baby is a girl so he has no problems wearing a star covered carrier. Should be interesting to see but I cannot wait!

Full disclosure that I haven't used any of them yet, but after all the research I did and the things we plan to use them for, the ergo is something I'm most excited about with LO.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
    June '14 September Siggy challenge- Favorite things about fall

• Options
    We bought the lillebaby carrier. Haven't used it yet but the reviews looked good.
  • Options
    @CAMag‌ I've been trying to figure out how baby carriers are gonna work with twins! I've looked everywhere to find a double carrier and haven't been able to... :/
  • Options
    @snuff9861‌ - we also got gifted a bjorn, and I'm not sure how to feel about it. How bad is it? Is it worse as the baby is older? How are they still selling them if they're bad? All serious questions, if anyone knows.

image        image

• Options
    lest12 said:

@snuff9861‌ - we also got gifted a bjorn, and I'm not sure how to feel about it. How bad is it? Is it worse as the baby is older? How are they still selling them if they're bad?

All serious questions, if anyone knows.

honestly, it's really only bad if your baby already has hip and/or back problems. they are just not as comfortable for mom or baby because the way they carry puts pressure on the spine in awkward ways. there are YouTube videos that show how to make a bjorn more ergonomic using a scarf.
  • Options
    @lest12, I was given a hand-me-down bjorn, and C screamed the entire time she was in it.  I waited a couple days, made she was fed, clean, dry, happy, all that stuff, and tried again.  Same result.  This was at the same point that I was using the moby and meitei styles, and she was fine in both of those.  The one time she stayed in it long enough to get any actual use, within 15 minutes I was so uncomfortable that I took it off.  I think they sell so well because they are a lower price point, and people don't know that there are more comfortable options. 

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    I have 2 ergos, a moby wrap, and a ring sling. I would also like to get a k'tan breeze and possibly a gauze wrap..

When DS was a bitty I used the moby , then we mostly moved to the ergo. I used the moby around the house (and on the go ) when he was fussy and needed a nap and I had things to do. I used the ergo everywhere, walks, stores, airport, grocery shopping etc. we still use the ergo (DS is almost 23 months) and have no plan on stopping anytime soon. The ring sling is new so I hope I like it :)

Dh did not ever wear DS in the moby but will wear him in the ergo. And it totally melts my heart when he does.
  • Options
    Also @lest12‌ I could be wrong but I think one of the beco's has fabric in between parent and baby..
  • Options
    MNOpea said:
    Also @lest12‌ I could be wrong but I think one of the beco's has fabric in between parent and baby..

I just went on their website and the first pic is a carrier in a digital camo print. DH would love it!

image        image

• Options
    @joules235‌ - what backpack carrier is that? I know you can't put babe in those until they are more stable but we're trying to decide whether to invest in an Osprey or Kelty or go with something else. We're big hikers so good suspension and adjustable torso are a must.

• Options
    With M, during the early stages, I used a Moby.  I liked it well enough - the length didn't really bother me too much.  Later, we used the Ergo mainly, and I ended up getting a Beco as well.  I normally wore her, although DH did wear her when we were in Walt Disney World, for example.

I liked the Ergo the most for convenience - although the Beco does have that layer of fabric that "holds" the baby in, I found it to be so easy to get tangled in it.

This time, I'm thinking about getting a K'tan for the early stages and maybe add a woven wrap to the mix.  I'm way overwhelmed with woven wrap-ness... a WAHM who used to make diapers now weaves her own wraps, and they are super beautiful and super expensive.  Not sure where to start with any of it (I won't be buying one of hers, it looks like)

Chat!                       General Cloth Diaper Information          
  • Options
    @otter1103‌ we have a Kelty and it's pretty awesome. just throwing it out there :)
  • Options
    Wish DD and DS, I used a Moby for the early weeks.  I really liked it, but for the twins, I am switching to a K'tan Breeze just because they are quicker to take off and on.  I also have a Beco Butterfly 2 that I used with DS.  They don't make that one anymore, but I hear great things about the Beco Soleil, and I would love to try that one if the opportunity arises.  I also bought a used Maya Ring Sling to try when they are a bit older.  As of now, I am pretty sure I will only wear one at a time (though maybe I can get them both in a K'tan when they are teeny), but even if I can wear one and carry the other it would be helpful.
    DD- Born 03/09/2010
    DS- Born 01/21/2012
                                              Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    @Lilygrace48‌ omg thanks! I definitely lol'd at the end but i was sitting there so worried that he was going to drop one of those sweet boys!!! But thank you so much I've found other videos too now :D I didn't realize you could use a moby for twins :)
  • Options
    @CDK211‌ you are very right, you may not know your baby has hip problems and so using it without knowing wouldn't be good for your baby. I guess I should have said it most likely won't cause any problems if your baby doesn't already have them but wear with caution and try the scarf trick.
  • Options
    lest12lest12 member
    edited April 2014
    I'm just so skeptical of the baby bjorn that I don't know if I'll ever feel good about it. I wish there were a nice way to return/exchange without upsetting my MIL. This thread is super helpful, thanks guys. I hope other people find it helpful, too!

image        image

• Options
    @CDK211‌ it was important to point out though! valid point for sure
  • Options
    lest12 said:
    I'm just so skeptical of the baby bjorn that I don't know if I'll ever feel good about it. I wish there were a nice way to return/exchange without upsetting my MIL. This thread is super helpful, thanks guys. I hope other people find it helpful, too!
    I think aside from the potential hip issues, the biggest complaint I've heard about the Bjorn is the incredibly poor back support.  

From personal experience, if I weren't pregnant right now, I could still wear M on my back in the Ergo with zero problems, and she's over 40 pounds.  It's amazing how a great carrier can make baby wearing so easy and awesome and pain free.

Chat!                       General Cloth Diaper Information          
  • Options
    I think that's super important @chickpea912‌.

I just know we are going to end up sucking it up and getting something else, likely the ergo. It just seems like a waste to have this bjorn here going unused!

image        image

• Options
    I knew from the get-go that I wanted to babywear, but I wanted something that was a little airier than the Moby. After looking just about everywhere online for reviews, I tentatively decided to go with a Wrapsody. Then while on Spring Break I stopped by a store that carried them and they showed me how to use them (dummy and all), so I bought one there. It (like the Moby) only goes to 35lbs, but I like all of the designs and carrying positions (plus it's fair trade, if you care about that). I went with the Sterling color just in case DH ever decided to wear it, though I seriously doubt he'd even consider it. Our friends joke that he is more likely to put baby in his combat gear carrier than anything else ;) My ILs insisted on buying us a very nice stroller, so we will move to that instead of a SSC once it's no longer comfy to carry him in the wrap.

https://wrapsodybaby.com/shop/stretch-hybrid/stretch-hybrid-sterling/

J14 Jan Siggy Challenge: Santorini

• Options
    MizooMizoo member
    FTM here so no hands-on experience to share as of today, but I am currently registered for a Moby and for an Ergo.

I plan on using the Moby until LO is big enough to fit into the Ergo without an infant insert (I've read they are very warm) and then using the Ergo primarily.  If I end up really liking the Moby wrap, I will probably invest in a nicer wrap for long term use as well.
  • Options
    MNOpea said:

lest
    said:

I'm just so skeptical of the baby bjorn that I don't know if I'll ever feel good about it. I wish there were a nice way to return/exchange without upsetting my MIL.

This thread is super helpful, thanks guys. I hope other people find it helpful, too!

Would it upset your MIL if you were super greatful to her but let her know that you "just found out" that they are not that great for baby or momma/daddy? And then let her know that you still love the idea of baby wearing so will return it and put the money towards another carrier?
    Yes, this would seem logical/reasonable... but the weird (read: annoying) thing is that I had an ergo on my registry, and she bought us the bjorn anyway, saying she did her own research and the bjorn has better back support so she got that one instead.

It "kind of" annoys the shit out of me that she did that, you know, in a "apparently I don't know what's best for my child" kind of way, so I don't even know if it's worth it. Trying to choose my battles, though, and was wondering if the bjorn was just good enough and i would suck it up but I can't help feeling like it just isn't what I wanted (and not in a bratty way, from a comfort/safety standpoint).

image        image

• Options
    joules235 said:

geeze @lest12 everybody know MIL knows best!!! ;)

My MIL does stuff like this too and it makes me nuts!!

I'm glad it's not just my MIL! They should start a club. Except not, then they would share ideas and it would be much worse for us!

I worry that I won't always have the patience to ignore her/let dh deal with her.

image        image

• Options
    I loved my baby K'tan with DS and plan to use it again. The K'tan is sized to the individual wearer so DH and I couldn't share one. We have an Ergo also, we bring that when we are out together. It is adjustable so we can alternate who carries baby.
  • Options
    FTM so take it for what it's worth but i have a k'tan breeze, infantino mei tai, and a bunch of hand me downs from friends including the bjorn and I think an ergo. We also bought a framed hiking carrier at a garage sale. I plan on mostly using the k'tan because it's super easy (yeah we tested it on our 10 lb dog haha). Hubby has no issues using it he says. I want to be able to wear one (or both!) babies so I can actually, ya know, do stuff :P

Check FB for baby wearing groups too! Some of the ladies on mine are really into it to the point of obsession, but I plan on picking their brains once babies are here.

• Options

@lest12‌ just get the ergo, tell her someone else gave it to you, wear it instead, and then if she asks why you don't use it tell her the baby cries in it or the ergo fits you better or something.

Right?

image        image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"