November 2011 Moms
Options

The dentist

Has anyone taken their kid to the dentist yet? 

I took DD to her very first dentist appointment today. Poor girl has inherited my horrible teeth gene. She's only 2 and already has 2 cavities on her 2 top front teeth. Because of her age she's going to have to be put under when they do the fillings. I think I might cry. Well actually I did cry. DD has my teeth, which means she has very soft enamel, so even though we brush twice a day, no bottles or anything in the bed with her at night, limit her sweets intake, etc, she's still extremely prone to cavities. :( 
Munchkin born 11/22/11
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: The dentist

• Options

We haven't gone yet. DS' pediatrician recommended 3 years so I will take him probably  month before or close to the day.

Sorry to hear about the cavities. Other than that, how did she handle the dentist. I am still fighting with DS everytime it's time to brush and still on training paste becuase he will not spit.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Options
    @e_cruiz
    I took her to a dental office that is just for kids. They gave her a princess sticker when she came in and one when she was done. They also gave her a little prize (a bath squirter) and had tv screens mounted above the dental chairs so she could watch cartoons while getting her teeth cleaned. DD was terrified of the actual cleaning though. She thought the spin brush was scary and "too loud". She did really well after that though when they poked around with the little mirror and the pokey tool; at least until they got to her cavities. 

PS DD will not spit either and we still have to practically pin her down daily and pry her mouth open to brush her teeth. 
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Aww. Sorry to hear she didn't have the best check up. I took my DD to the dentist when she was about 3 as well. She did great at the kids only dentist. She has my teeth so she ended up needing to have her upper lip frenulum clipped. Hers was done with a water laser. Very cool! She had a topical, and then they gave her gas. She was so funny with it. 

I hope your DD does well with her procedure! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    @rosebud2587 that's really good to know. I was indecisive with taking DS to our family dentist or a pediatric only dentist. Both accept our insurance and I liked the idea of all of us going to the same place, but it sounds like your DD had a good experience. I guess I'll find out more about the pediatric dentist.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Options

RedCamaro said:
    Aww. Sorry to hear she didn't have the best check up. I took my DD to the dentist when she was about 3 as well. She did great at the kids only dentist. She has my teeth so she ended up needing to have her upper lip frenulum clipped. Hers was done with a water laser. Very cool! She had a topical, and then they gave her gas. She was so funny with it. 

I hope your DD does well with her procedure! 

Was there a reason they clipped it now? Our pediatric dentists recommended waiting til she had 6 permanent teeth. I'm sure there's reasons either way but I was just wondering if I should push trying to do it now or wait...

We went to the dentist in February for the first time (she turned 2 in Nov) because of the upper frenulum thing. They cleaned (I held her in my lap and flipped her into the nurses lap. She cried but let them do it with not much fighting.). They did a flouride treatment too about the same way. She wasn't a fan of the (male) dentist, but he didn't do much anyway -- no cavities or anything but just she still has a pacifier so has some crowding on the bottom.

We (try to) brush at least once or twice a day. She does a better job now at brushing -- the dentist recommended us getting in her mouth at least once a day. She does better at letting me when I let her brush my teeth and I brush hers. ha
  • Options
    @tonychelle - sorry I should have mentioned that my DD is my oldest. She was 4 when we did it, but I don't think she had any adult teeth in by that time. I also had the same procedure (many years ago). I don't know if it's the age, dentist, or new age procedure, but I'm happy that we did it when she was 4. I have an immense fear of dentists which stemmed from this procedure (half the problem was the dentist). I had hoped that this would help her avoid having the space in between her teeth like I had, but we're working on closing that currently.

If you have the chance to have the water laser, do it. It was awesome! I think my DD had 3-4 drops of blood from the whole procedure. She was able to eat normal foods after 12-24 hours, I believe.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"