July 2014 Moms

GTKY: Grammar/Saying Screw-ups that make your eye twitch...

Re: GTKY: Grammar/Saying Screw-ups that make your eye twitch...

• All of them. Bad Grammar is a huge pet peeve. The worst for me are to/too and your/you're for sure, but they all make me twitch.
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

BabyFruit Ticker>
  • I feel like half of my Facebook friends write "alot" instead of "a lot". Drives me nuts!

https://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html?m=1

@lindslalala‌
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image          image

• Loading the player...
  • People who mix up things like to/too/two and there/their/they're and your/you're drive me crazy too, but despite the fact that I know the difference, I sometimes type out the wrong one and I don't even realize it until later.  Of course, whenever someone else does it, my inclination is to think, "iiiidiot!" but when I do it, it's just an honest mistake ;-)  I think it's generally better to not flip out over a grammar mistake in someone's comment, unless the overall post makes clear that the person is just an idiot and it's not just an absentminded mistake. Then, flame away! ;-)

I have never seen anyone type "hammy downs" except on this board, and I imagine an angry ape throwing poop because it drives me so crazy!  No.  Just no.  There is no ham involved.  Just no.  

My mom says "I seen that" *cringe*

The thing that drives me the MOST crazy though, is when people abbreviate short words.   You can spare a millisecond to type out "you" instead of "u" and "our" or "are" instead of "r".    If you text me with abbreviations of already short words, I will cut you. 
    @Tallmomma29: I promise not to text you asking: R u n labor yet? No need to piss off the woman squeezing a baby out of her ladybits. :) 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Caitlinrj said:

I catch myself saying "fixina" and then hating myself. The Texan is strong in this one.

For those that don't understand, "fixina" is "fixin' to" smushed together, which actually means "I'm going to/about to".

I'm from Georgia and live in Iowa and didn't realize that was a Southern thing until I came here and people tease me for saying it!

image          image

• nola 1017 said:
    People who mix up things like to/too/two and there/their/they're and your/you're drive me crazy too, but despite the fact that I know the difference, I sometimes type out the wrong one and I don't even realize it until later.  Of course, whenever someone else does it, my inclination is to think, "iiiidiot!" but when I do it, it's just an honest mistake ;-)  I think it's generally better to not flip out over a grammar mistake in someone's comment, unless the overall post makes clear that the person is just an idiot and it's not just an absentminded mistake. Then, flame away! ;-)

I have never seen anyone type "hammy downs" except on this board, and I imagine an angry ape throwing poop because it drives me so crazy!  No.  Just no.  There is no ham involved.  Just no.  

My mom says "I seen that" *cringe*

The thing that drives me the MOST crazy though, is when people abbreviate short words.   You can spare a millisecond to type out "you" instead of "u" and "our" or "are" instead of "r".    If you text me with abbreviations of already short words, I will cut you. 
    @Tallmomma29: I promise not to text you asking: R u n labor yet? No need to piss off the woman squeezing a baby out of her ladybits. :) 
    We are off to a good start!   :x

• I know someone who used to say "impicular" because she didn't realize that the phrase was actually "in particular".  Gag!!

Every time I see someone spell "definitely" "definately", I can't help but cringe.

But the one that bothers me the most is when people try to be cute and say things like "sammich" instead of "sandwich" or "birtday" instead of "birthday".  You are in your 30's...say fing sandwich!! ;)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I seen. Makes me want to rip my hair out.

For sell. Sale. It's for sale people!
    We're expecting baby Jameson!

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited April 2014

Oh God, I forgot all about when people say "Yeah" instead of "Yay"

I'll see that on FB when someone gets excited. "Yay" is a real word and it's even phonetic, so it's hard to understand how someone can f*ck that up.
    Yeah IS A real word. Think "yah". Yeah is the property way to spell it.

I say "yeah!!!!" Instead of yay all the time. (As in yah, not meaning yay)
    We're expecting baby Jameson!

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The only thing that really makes me want to throw up is the incorrect usage of past participles and the only reason it bothers me is because when learning Spanish and German it was pounded into my head all day everyday.

Example: I should have went vs I should have gone

• Wait just kidding I also can't stand "baby daddy"

• @‌shanicenicolle

But sometimes I could care less :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bgoodbparbgoodbpar member
    edited April 2014
    Most of mine have been posted but unless I missed it-- "rather" vs "whether"

ETA: I have to add, this is not a typical error but I have someone specific that continues to write "collage" instead of "college".... I'm glad you're learning how to do art because you are definitely not learning wuurrddss wherever the heck you are attending.

• Then vs. than. Oooooh, that chaps my ass. Mister's boss is a certifiable fuckwit. He says Vietnese instead of Vietnamese, he runs out of patients in emails (rather than patience), mindgrains instead of migraines, and today he said his ex wife and her lawyer were in "attempt of court" rather than contempt.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I can't believe this is 3 pages in and no one has mentioned one that drives me up a wall...

it's "supposed to" not "suppose to"!!!

Also, I say crans even though I know that isn't phonetically correct...

image image
  • So I have certain words/sayings that are my pet peeves when they're used interchangeably and thought it would be fun to see what gets your goat.

FTR-- I'm not trying to get people to stop saying or using things the way they do, it's a message board, not a classroom. You write the way you want, just know I'm silently cursing you :P

Mine are:
    Worse vs Worst
    Lose vs Loose
    And when people say, "I could care less," rather than, "I couldn't care less."
    We are grammar twins.  "I could care less" makes we want to stab things repeatedly.  Also "10 items or less."  All the grammar things, really. And what is the deal with people mixing up "then" and "than"?  Seriously?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic imagephoto Candle_zps6cecf456.png 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I was going to say none of it bothers me until I seen the "conversate" lol. My wife used to say it and sometimes still does. I just look at her like ">_<"
    BabyFruit Ticker
    ITS A GIRL!
    VERY EXCITED FTD WHO DOES EVERYTHING
    A LOT THAT MOST DADS WOULD LAUGH AT ME FOR!
    HAVING OUR BABY ABROAD.
    military family

• A lot of people in New England do this:

"And I says" vs "And I said"

My mother in law does it all the time and it drives me bonkers!

BFP#1: 08/30/12 EDD 04/30/12 m/c 09/04/12 6wks
    BFP#2: 01/27/13 EDD 10/06/13 missed m/c 02/25/13 9wks
    BFP#3: 10/30/13 EDD 07/05/14 Our little dude was born on 07/10/14 @ 2:19p <3

• jcartz said:

I remembered another I don't think I saw so far... FB statuses with an instead of and. "Me an my man gonna..." Or some other such nonsense. It's like the first word you learn. How do you not know there's a d at the end!!??

I'm not sure if iPhone corrects it or if I am hitting the wrong letter, but I constantly see this mistake on things that I type. I know the difference and think it correctly, but sometimes when I go back I will find that iPhone has changed "and" to "an." I think I may be accidentally hitting an extra/wrong letter while speed typing and it just corrects it to "an."
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I love all this post. That's all.
  • abchittam said:
    I remembered another I don't think I saw so far... FB statuses with an instead of and. "Me an my man gonna..." Or some other such nonsense. It's like the first word you learn. How do you not know there's a d at the end!!??
    I'm not sure if iPhone corrects it or if I am hitting the wrong letter, but I constantly see this mistake on things that I type. I know the difference and think it correctly, but sometimes when I go back I will find that iPhone has changed "and" to "an." I think I may be accidentally hitting an extra/wrong letter while speed typing and it just corrects it to "an."
    I wish this were the case. It's constant with a few people I know. Typos? Fine with me. On purpose? not so much.

Also I'm completely guilty of not using its & it's right.
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

BabyFruit Ticker>
  • I can't believe this is 3 pages in and no one has mentioned one that drives me up a wall...

it's "supposed to" not "suppose to"!!!

Also, I say crans even though I know that isn't phonetically correct...
    I didn't mention it because I'm pretty sure I have a small seizure every time I see it that wipes my memory in order to retain some semblance of sanity. ;-)
    My sweet little munchkin! 
    8 lbs, 13 oz.  21" long

• I was going to say none of it bothers me until I seen the "conversate" lol. My wife used to say it and sometimes still does. I just look at her like ">_<"
    Seen.  GAH!!!!!!!! ::eye twitch::
    My sweet little munchkin! 
    8 lbs, 13 oz.  21" long

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"