Pre-School and Daycare

Packed Lunch ideas-picky eaters! Only hot foods.

My son will be starting prek3 full time in August. He only eats hot foods (chicken nuggets, noodles with a variety of stuff (sauces hidden veggies), mac n cheese). He does eat some cold items string cheese, yogurts etc. At daycare he always has a hot lunch and it hasn't been a problem. I am trying hard to get him to like other foods to be healthier, variety and to be able to pack a lunch for him. I would love to pack a protein, veggie, fruit for him but he just will NOT try new things.

What should I work on between now and August that is easy and health to pack?

Any suggestions on hot food containers for toddlers?

TIA!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Packed Lunch ideas-picky eaters! Only hot foods.

• We use funtainer thermos containers the days we send hot lunches.  I send nuggets, mac n cheese, and soup in them.  The soup stays the warmest the boys say.  Will he care if it's luke warm??  I'm not sure how hot the containers actually keep the food and my kids eat early… 10:50am, but they don't heat anything up at their school.

I don't think there's anything wrong with sending a cheese stick or yogurt too.  Some days I sent peanut butter on ritz (we are allowed to send PB), sandwiches, the above mentioned hot foods.  I always send dairy either a cheese stick, yogurt tube, or smoothie plus a fruit or veggie and a dessert (because of damn peer pressure… often they don't eat it).  Fruits I send grapes, strawberries, bananas, apples, watermelon.  Veggies I'll send cherry tomatoes, cut up cucumbers, left over steamed broccoli or green beans.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting him to eat all kinds of new things… maybe the peer pressure of seeing what others eat will help.  I would work more on him being able to open the containers/pouches, etc. that stuff will be packed in.  That's a really helpful skill for prek.

• Would he do easy finger foods like chicken quesadillas, burritos ( I roll it up and wrap it in foil), black beans and rice or any bean and rice combo? My kids eat a LOT of mexican type fare. They also love spaghetti, shrimp with noodles (butter and dill), stirfry with rice or noodles, edamae with veggie or snowcrab rolls- will he eat hummus on a pita or hummus with veggies to dip?
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds like great ideas and things to work on before August. What do you put your spaghetti, stirfry, noddle type items in for school? I am sure the teachers will help with opening containers and I looked at the schedule and it looks like they eat at 11a. I am hoping to find warming containers somewhere that last 4 hours (he will leave at 7a).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I use tupperware containers or the bento box from PBK. I was lucky that DD's school would warm the kid's lunches, but honestly DD prefers her food lukewarm or even cold. If you heated the items up in the morning, put it in a metal container in an insulated lunchbag, I wonder if it would stay warm until his meal time?
    imageimage
  • id012id012 member
    A lot of guys I know use those Coleman thermos . You can get them from Dicks. My brother has one that keeps his soup poop in hot from 5am to 1.
  • id012id012 member
    Lol sorry no poop, pipping*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"