Natural Birth

skipping routine ultrasounds and doppler?

2»

Re: skipping routine ultrasounds and doppler?

• Robi1Robi1 member
    I had one ultrasound my first pregnancy, the anatomy scan at 19 weeks, and we did not find out the sex. I had a hand-held heartbeat thingy at each appointment from 12-37 weeks (so probably about 10?). Next time, I'll probably do similar. I've thought about skipping the anatomy scan, but I don't really think it's a big deal to have one short ultrasound, and I don't think the hand-held fetoscope things are too bad when done every 4 weeks for just a few moments. We also used this same device during labor, and the MW checked the HB every 30 minutes or so. I had no other tests my whole pregnancy, and I was happy with that and will do it again unless something comes up. 
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • At my midwifery practice, there is one standard ultrasound- the anatomy ultrasound at 18-22 weeks. There's really no reason for more than that unless there is specific cause for concern.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • MY OB practice only does one unless there is medical indication other wise. They do the anatomy scan at 20 wks. I ended up having a total of 3 (so far hopefully no more) because the baby was measuring really small and they wanted to make sure that they were growing. Once they confirmed that they stopped ordering ultrasounds.
    Together Since 9/14/2008 
    Married since 08/19/2011 
    Audrey born 5/9/2014 

A14 August Siggy Challange: This time Last Year

Me DH
    image image

• Every appointment?? Forget the risks, imagine the bill! Even if you have insurance, it still seems underhanded.
    It seems like just an excuse to bill in that case, barring any medical indication.
    BabyFruit Ticker    image

F15 December Siggy Challenge:
    Holiday Decorations Fail
  • wintersong139wintersong139 member
    edited April 2014
    @LovelyRitaMeterMaid - I agree with you, btw, about making sure the us tech knows about the risks. I forgot to mention it in my previous post, but I felt the same way. There must be nothing more annoying to a person who specializes in ultrasounds as when mothers come in and act like they know more than the tech does. The mother DOES know more about her own body, and it IS important to be informed, but for heaven's sake don't insult the tech who presumably went to school to be certified to be an ultrasound technician. Basic rules of politeness still apply. As a teacher, I am in the position of everyone thinking that they know how to do my job (presumably because everyone went to school, and therefore are experts, lol).

*Edited to include pp's name*
    BabyFruit Ticker    image

F15 December Siggy Challenge:
    Holiday Decorations Fail
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"