Natural Birth

Vitamin K and Group B

mamabird19mamabird19 member
edited March 2014 in Natural Birth
Forgive me if this has already been discussed, I looked through and didn't see anything. I saw the article someone posted which was helpful, i am just looking to see if anyone has other opinions.

My widwife gave me information on Vitamin K shots and on Group B Strep- I am having a hard time making decisions about these two topics. Obviously I just want what is best for my baby so i am trying to gather information on both sides of the coin. It is easy to find a lot of information about why you should do the vitamin K shot, does anyone have any big arguments against it? How about for group b strep testing and treatment? I am not a fan of antibiotics but if its really necessary I will do it.

Please no bashing or insults, I am just looking for other opinions as I try to figure out what is best for my little one. Thank you for your help!

Re: Vitamin K and Group B

• Declining Vitamin K and treatment for GBS would not be a choice I would be comfortable making.  But honest question, why decline the testing?
  • I'm GBS + and was tested early on in pregnancy. I'm doing the antibiotics even if I don't test positive at a re-screen. While the odds are very low of passing to a newborn, the consequences can be really terrible. So, knowing I'm a carrier, I'm just going with the safest option. It's also odd that because I'm allergic to penicillin, I only have to have one course 2 hours before delivery instead of 2 courses starting 4 hours before delivery. Weird.

I will also do the Vit K. There's no reason I can find not to.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am not opposed to getting tested for the strep.. I guess my current thinking is that whatever I test, whether negative or positive, doesn't mean i will be that way when the baby is born so is it even really worth getting tested? I am still not completely decided, this is just what I have been thinking. I know how damaging antibiotics can be and don't know if i am comfortable taking them and passing them on to my baby if not absolutely necessary...
    Just to be clear, I completely respect all of your choices and opinions on the matter!
  • I should also mention that I am doing a home birth so I can do the testing and the antibiotics if I choose but not the rapid testing that can be right before you have the baby
  • We have never done vit K. with any of the kiddos. I have only been GBS+ once and I declined antibiotics.

We did a lot of research and talking to my MW before making that decision. We know that antibiotics are way overprescribed which is leading to antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria. Therefore, it seems crazy that all pregnant women who test positive are treated with them when GBS status can change. You can test positive at 36 weeks and not be positive at birth (and vice versa). In addition, the risk is very, very small anyway.

Something I also recently learned is that it takes a long time for your gut to redevelop their natural balance of bacteria after antibiotics. If you need 2 rounds of antibiotics to deal with something it can take up to 6 months for that to happen. And if you have 3 rounds, it isn't known how long it will take (presumably longer than the 6 months though). Disclaimer: I heard this recently on NPR and haven't had a chance to research it myself.

Anyway, that's something I don't want to do to myself or LO unless absolutely necessary. So yeah, no pretreating with antibiotics here. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • barnwife said:
    We have never done vit K. with any of the kiddos. I have only been GBS+ once and I declined antibiotics.

We did a lot of research and talking to my MW before making that decision. We know that antibiotics are way overprescribed which is leading to antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria. Therefore, it seems crazy that all pregnant women who test positive are treated with them when GBS status can change. You can test positive at 36 weeks and not be positive at birth (and vice versa). In addition, the risk is very, very small anyway.

Something I also recently learned is that it takes a long time for your gut to redevelop their natural balance of bacteria after antibiotics. If you need 2 rounds of antibiotics to deal with something it can take up to 6 months for that to happen. And if you have 3 rounds, it isn't known how long it will take (presumably longer than the 6 months though). Disclaimer: I heard this recently on NPR and haven't had a chance to research it myself.

Anyway, that's something I don't want to do to myself or LO unless absolutely necessary. So yeah, no pretreating with antibiotics here. 

All of this, except we did Vit K with the two born at the hospital.  As far as I know, I was unable to opt out per hospital policy.  For my two HBs we skipped it.  I also declined testing for GBS with the two HBs and relied on other measures to decrease the risk of transmission in case I was positive - waterbirth and no internal exams during labor.

• nosoup4unosoup4u member
    edited March 2014

I am not opposed to getting tested for the strep.. I guess my current thinking is that whatever I test, whether negative or positive, doesn't mean i will be that way when the baby is born so is it even really worth getting tested? I am still not completely decided, this is just what I have been thinking. I know how damaging antibiotics can be and don't know if i am comfortable taking them and passing them on to my baby if not absolutely necessary...
    Just to be clear, I completely respect all of your choices and opinions on the matter!

If you don't get tested for GBS, your hospital may give your newborn abx as a precautionary measure. I would rather get tested and know for sure, and also avoid abx for he baby.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• For GBS you can have your doc get the numbers rather than just a positive/negative. That way you and your doc can make a better decision about your care.

As far as vitamin k goes, my doc has me on drops now to supplement rather than giving the shot to LO. About 95% of her patients (home birth) go this route, but she also offers the shot or drops for baby on request.

Good luck in your decision making!!

BFP #1 May 20, 2013   
    MC June 27, 2013   BFP #2 August 2, 2013   Baby Boy born 4/25/14 (3 weeks overdue!)
    April 14 August Siggy Challenge- "This time last year.."
  • First of all, anyone who wants what is best for their baby will not decline a vitamin K shot.  A NB's liver does not make it's own and NO, no matter what naturalnews.com or bloggers selling supplements tell you, it is not passed sufficiently through breast milk.  It helps blood to clot and is necessary to avoid risks.  I am sure many people have declined and their children ended up fine, but I call them lucky, not informed.  If you want the real story on what can happen to your baby if you decline the vitamin shot, check out what happened to this mom: https://cestsibonblog.wordpress.com/2014/03/07/why-it-happened-the-truth-about-vitamin-k-deficiency-bleeding/

Many pregnant women are carriers of group B strep.  It is harmless to you, but passed on to your infant....not so harmless.  No "damage" done by the ointment is as bad as stillbirth or a serious infection requiring a NICU stay and, yep, a stronger much harsher course of antibiotics for baby.

All of this. The benefits of the Vit K shot outweigh the risks. Often with this type of thing you do not know your LO will need it until it is serious or even to late. IMO being over cautious is better than having something serious happen.
    My LO got the vit K shot and the next one will get it as well.

@barnwife it does take a long time for your gut to redevelop the balance of beneficial bacteria but that is also why they have started pushing probiotics. Many probiotics have Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria which are two of the major components of the gut microbiota. Taking the probiotics helps restore your gut microbiota (bacteria) faster. Infants get much of their microbiota, gut included, from the moms skin/nipple when nursing, by coming through the vaginal tract, and even in breast milk.
  • lbs2012 said:

All of this. The benefits of the Vit K shot outweigh the risks. Often with this type of thing you do not know your LO will need it until it is serious or even to late. IMO being over cautious is better than having something serious happen.
    My LO got the vit K shot and the next one will get it as well.

@barnwife it does take a long time for your gut to redevelop the balance of beneficial bacteria but that is also why they have started pushing probiotics. Many probiotics have Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria which are two of the major components of the gut microbiota. Taking the probiotics helps restore your gut microbiota (bacteria) faster. Infants get much of their microbiota, gut included, from the moms skin/nipple when nursing, by coming through the vaginal tract, and even in breast milk.

We love drinking Kefir for all those great probiotics! If it's too thick for your taste, just mix in a little milk. Also great in smoothies! We really limit antibiotic use but when DH got a nasty spider bite that resulted in a bad infection and 4 week round of antibiotics he drank this several times a day!
    Oh, I already know this. But, even with taking probiotics, it can take months to recover (at least, per the NPR story I heard. I had no idea it took that long).

@LovelyRitaMeterMaid
    To state that I don't want what is best for my LOs and myself because we choose not to use vitamin K at birth is ridiculous. Sorry, but after that I read the rest of your post with...less respect let's say. 

I didn't click the link. You are using it as a scare tactic. I think we can all agree that birth involves risk. Problems can still develop even if you choose to give vit. K. Or even if you take antibiotics. Or even if you vaccinate. Or (fill in whatever you want here). 

• aylafsu88 said:
    The problem with this is that if you took antibiotics during labor and they were passed to your infant, not only is your infant's gut now deficient, but so is yours.  And those antibiotics killed all of the beneficial bacteria in your breastmilk and vagina as well, so none of that would be passed to baby during birth.

Research has shown that the gut flora of an infant born via c/s is entirely different than that of an infant born via vaginal birth, and that those bacteria present in the vagina cannot be made up for elsewhere.  Taking the antibiotics during labor and killing off your vaginal flora means your baby can never get that bacteria again.

• jess9802 said:

Worse, it's a decision which could expose one's child to life-threatening complications that are completely and absolutely preventable.

Stuck in the quote box!

I'm sorry, but that made me laugh. Why? I would be surprised if you haven't made a decision as a parent that could lead to life-threatening complications (I'll insert some of my own words here - or harm to your child) that are completely and absolutely preventable.

Such as giving vaccines. Do you vaccinate? That could cause problems. Do you let your child ride in a car? Sorry, that reason comes across as ridiculous.

Anyway, don't worry. I've done my research and had many discussions with my MW. I will continue to make decisions that I (well, and DH) believe are in the best interests of our children and ourselves. It doesn't bother me at all that some random internet strangers don't agree.

• Neither for our kids or the new baby, after much reading and research.
    Mom to 3 wonderful Free Birthed kiddos
  • Many pregnant women are carriers of group B strep.  It is harmless to you, but passed on to your infant....not so harmless.  No "damage" done by the ointment is as bad as stillbirth or a serious infection requiring a NICU stay and, yep, a stronger much harsher course of antibiotics for baby.

This!! My BFF has her son in the NICU due to GBS after having him home for a day. The sad thing is that at 35 weeks she tested negative. So you just never know.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The only argument against Vitamin K shots that I have read is that you shouldn't give a baby a shot on their first day of life, that the negative feelings will become integrated into their psche or something. (Like, babies who are born with the cord around their neck may feel trapped in relationships, etc.) Since this is the only thing I have even been able to find, I am sure that DH and I will get a Vitamin K shot. Eye ointment and antibiotics, maybe not. I have had extremely bad reactions to antibiotics in the past. Why not wait and see if there is a problem?

As for testing, what is the point when a person's status can change in the few weeks before the delivery? Even moms who test negative can still develop it, especially if they are getting dilation checks in the weeks prior to the birth. It just doesn't make sense to me. Anyone have any convincing arguments why you should, when it isn't even certain that you will stay that way? (Other than the hospital may make your baby stay extra days if you don't?)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • mamabird19mamabird19 member
    edited March 2014
    barnwife I am on the same page with the antibiotics.
    Can I ask why you chose not to do the vitamin k shots? I am so skeptical and i know that is rare for babies to have the bleeding disorder but it is also so extreme when it does happen that I am torn. I would love to hear your opinions and reasoning for choosing not to do it if you don't mind sharing.
  • Thank you everyone for your input. I know anytime we talk about making decisions for our children it can be heated and every parent will always do what they feel is best and will defend their choices for the same reason. Please just remember that that applies for all of us and hopefully we can all respect one another for that.

For those of you who did not do the vitamin K shots, was there a specific reason you chose not to? I of course would rather not give my sweet baby any shots just for the pain factor but I am wondering if you came across any other research or anything that played a part in your decision.

Thank you all again for chiming in, its a tough decision and I am grateful to be able to hear from other moms who have had to weigh the costs and benefits as well.
  • I'll do both the Vit K shot and GBS testing this time.  FWIW, I had a home birth last time and my doctor felt it was important to know the mother's GBS status, even if she wasn't going to do antibiotics.

And while it's true that GBS status can change, most women who test positive at 35 weeks will still be positive at delivery.  So it's not like the test is worthless.  The use of antibiotics in labor for those women has significantly reduced the number of newborns that become sick with GBS.  The odds of anything going wrong with skipping the Vit K or the antibiotics are small, but if something does go wrong it can be life-threatening to your newborn and will almost certainly result in far more invasive procedures/stronger antibiotics for your baby.  So that's something to consider too.  As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was tested twice for GBS during my first of bc I went past 41 weeks, so it's not like they can't test you again past 35 weeks to make sure it's accurate.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• For those of you who did not do the vitamin K shots, was there a specific reason you chose not to? I of course would rather not give my sweet baby any shots just for the pain factor ...
    DS got his Vitamin K shot while he nursed. He didn't cry, didn't even flinch. If he felt pain, he didn't express it. 
    Plus, if you skip the Vitamin K and they develop a bleed, they will have far more needle sticks and invasive procedures than just the one shot.  That's one of the things I remind myself of when my kids get vaccinations too--no parent likes to see their kid get a shot, but the shot is protecting them from the possibility of far more painful things.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oral vitamin K seems like a happy medium? That's what we do and it's provided by my MWs at our homebirths. We did it with our last and will do it again. 

I don't understand NOT getting tested for GBS. Wouldn't cross my mind to decline it. 
  • wifeofadamwifeofadam member
    edited April 2014
    People love to jump on bandwagons because it makes them look superior to others.
    Kind of like how people like to jump on the parenting choices of others because it makes them feel superior to others...

People can poo-poo the worry about gut bacteria and antibiotics all they want, but I assume they aren't living with Crohn's Disease as I am.  Every time I take antibiotics I end up in a flare that could land me in the hospital, unable to care for my children.  There is so much new research being done on the role of gut flora in autoimmune disease.  And since a lot of this research is just beginning, as someone whose automimmune disease is very hereditary, I'm taking many precautions to ensure that my children have the widest variety of gut flora possible.  Sure, there may be some risk in my choices, as there are with any medical decision you make, but there is also a risk that my child could die from the complications of CD, too.  We all weight the pros and cons of our medical decisions and make the best ones for ourselves, given the information that we feel is most important to us as individuals.  You can continue to beat this dead horse and try to knock down others for their medical decisions, but I'd be wary of throwing around the idea that others are trying to act superior...

• I think oral vitamin K is supposed to be less effective, but not sure.  I personally think it is a bad idea to do that.  How much is it?  Like mL wise?  Seems like a choking hazard for a NB who cannot even hold their head up.

What I personally find hilarious about the anti-vitamin K people is the whole basis (according to Dr. Quack Mercola) is it's a huge infection risk.  Because the dose is high and because of the injection.  Um, okay, what about epidurals?  What if your baby ends up in the NICU, due to a complication of hemorrhagic disease?  Believe me, they will have IVs!

And yet infection is something they are absolutely willing to risk on the subject of declining the antibiotics to prevent GBS infection.  Where is the logic there?  

Again, all based on a principle.  People love to jump on bandwagons because it makes them look superior to others.
    Yes, oral vit K is slightly less effective. But how in the world would it be a choking hazard? I mean, they manage to swallow BM or formula just fine. Why would they not be able to handle a different liquid?

Thanks for assuming you know all my reasons for declining it. The infection risk from an injection isn't one (and frankly, if that's someone's only reason, I'd be inwardly side-eyeing them).

As for GBS, we all weigh the risk of GBS versus the risk of antibiotics. It is known that they destroy gut flora. That's fact. And it takes a long time to recover. I personally choose to avoid that unless absolutely necessary (i.e. GBS is a problem...and the fact is that mom being GBS+ at 36 weeks does not mean there will be a problem). 

That's the best decision for me and my LOs.

Sticking it to pharma companies is the least of my worries. Actually, as I know quite a few people employed by them, I should want to keep them in business. 

Also re: looking superior to others, pot meet kettle. 
  • Oral vitamin K is not as effective as the shot. It may be better than nothing, but people should know if they make that choice that their baby is not getting as much protection as they would with the shot.

Pregnancy Ticker
    edited April 2014

You have Crohn's Disease.  That isn't the fault of antibiotics.  You are selfish and negligent.
    Your ignorance to the role of antibiotics in IBD is showing and that's fine, but I would say that your decision to routinely treat with antibiotics and thus increase the likelihood of antibiotic resistance is equally selfish and negligent.  We can agree to disagree...

If giving 25% of pregnant women antibiotics regardless of risk factors isn't a recipe for disaster, I don't know what is.  We know who we'll have to thank decades from now when mothers and babies are dying from simple infections that were once treatable with antibiotics because of this.  I truly wish that we could at least move to the UK model of treatment in which only those with risk factors present receive the antibiotics.  But no, scare tactics FTW!!!1!!!

ETA - I hope your recent bout of of diarrhea that landed you in the hospital has cleared up.  As I mentioned, I have CD, so I know how terrible that is.  Every time I take antibiotics I end up in the hospital just like you were.  It's probably selfish and negligent of me to refuse those antibiotics though.

• Honey, please slow down and read.

Antibiotics do not cause Crohn's Disease.  Antibiotics do, however, kill off gut flora.  Imbalances of gut flora cause flares of Crohn's Disease in many people.  As someone who says they have Irritable Bowel Disease, I'd expect you to understand this.  They do not cause Crohn's Disease, but if the genetics are there, they can be the trigger for the onset of symptoms, which has always been my case.

I never said that I'm worried about my infant getting CD because of antibiotics.  What I am worried about is my infant getting an imbalance of gut flora because of the antibiotics.  Research has proven that a baby that does not receive its mother's vaginal flora has deficient gut flora.  My taking antibiotics will affect my baby's gut flora.  I feel like giving my child's digestive tract and immune system the very best start in life, through vaginal birth and breastfeeding, both for probiotic benefits, is the opposite of selfish and negligent (as you would say).  Since we know that there is a family history of autoimmune disease, avoiding antibiotics unless absolutely necessary is prudent.

So are you saying that doctors in the UK who only treat based on risk factors are negligent?  Interesting.

And yes, antibiotic overuse and misuse (not finishing entire prescriptions) is a real and serious danger.  The way you casually dismiss that is concerning.  People need to wake up (I'll be nice here and not call them dense, as you would).

I wasn't saying antibiotics caused your issues that led you to the ER.  Iwas saying that when I take them, I end up in the ER like you were in the ER.  I was just assuming that your experience would bring you some empathy for someone who has ended up hospitalized for days because she has been curled up in the fetal position on the bathroom floor having diarrhea upwards of 35 times a day, is severely dehydrated, and losing weight rapidly.....and what started the flare was a round of antibiotics.  I thought maybe your experience would allow you to be more understanding, but I now see that I was wrong.

Also, for me, all of this is a moot point, as my last labor was only 2 hours long and my water didn't break until pushing (as has been the case with all of my babies).  Even if I hadn't birthed at home, I never would have made it to the hospital in time to receive the antibiotics and my child would have been treated the same way - monitored and treated as needed.  No point to even test, as labors are fast and I refuse internals during labor, have waterbirths (which is proven to decrease transmission - I can pull up studies if you want), and don't allow AROM. 

• Here is a lovely read on the topic of gut flora and birth - https://midwifethinking.com/2014/01/15/the-human-microbiome-considerations-for-pregnancy-birth-and-early-mothering/

From the article:

The environment in which the baby is born also influences their initial colonisation. A study by Penders et al. (2013) found that term infants born vaginally at home and then breastfed exclusively had the most ‘beneficial’ gut microbiota.

The chance of colonisation and infection with group B streptococcus (GBS) is reduced with waterbirth (Cohain 2010Neugeborene et al. 2007).

In 2006 a medical expert review (Ledger 2006) raised concerns about prophylactic antibiotics in labour.

And here's your proof that the antibiotics can be detrimental to a baby's health: 

A study in 2011 found that antibiotics given in labour increased the incidence of late-onset serious bacterial infections in infants (Ashkenazi-Hoffnung et al. 2011).

As you can see, these are not from Mercola.

edited April 2014
    ummmmm.  Wow.  Her article links to peer-reviewed medical journals.  Did you click on the links to anything I quoted here for you? 

Well, I guess you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.  I offered legit medical studies to back up my claims.  You're saying I'm basing my opinions on a hunch and I'm saying I'm not.  I'm not sure what else I can say if you're not willing to read the links I provided. 

On the last point, I only provided one study from years ago, however, there are many out there and many more currently being done.  I didn't realize you wanted a full dissertation.  Also, the studies that routine treatment of GBS with antibiotics are based on are WAY older than that.  This is how science works.  New studies emerge and change the ways we look at treatment.

I'm done.  Eat your antibiotics all you want.  I'll respectfully decline and I sleep well at night with my decision.  Speaking of sleep.  It's that time.

edited April 2014
    OMG, lol.  Yes because I take antibiotics all the time.  I like how you ignored me pointing out the choice antibiotic for treating GBS isn't even a broad spectrum med.  You know, the meds responsible for what you are talking about?  Penicillin is an antibiotic that streptococci isn't even resistant to after all these years. Do you know the meaning of "broad spectrum" and "narrow spectrum"?  I'd be surprised.
    I'm sorry.  I didn't ignore that.  You added it like ten minutes after the original post, so I didn't see it the first time.  I'm going to need you to let me know when you add to your posts if you're expecting a response to them.

It doesn't matter that a narrow spectrum antibiotic is used to treat GBS, the effect on the gut flora is still the same.  I'm not really sure why you think that makes a difference in the context of the discussion we just had.  Penicillin kills gut flora.  Period.  And as you can see from the medical journal you're ignoring from above, even penicillin is linked to causing an increase in health problems in infants that are exposed. 

I'm sorry that I have to explain this to you like you're five.  GBS isn't going to be the only bacteria present in the body during delivery.  When you take an antibiotic, the bacteria in your body respond to it.  Sure, penicillin isn't a broad spectrum, but that doesn't mean that it is only killing off the GBS in the body. 

Furthermore, 12% of the population is allergic to penicillin.  The alternatives are becoming increasingly antibiotic-resistant (up to 40% with some options).  This is a serious problem and proves that we need to look into alternatives.  This is why I suggest the UK's model of treating only based on risk factors and not just giving antibiotics to every woman just because and out of fear.  Babies aren't dying en masse in the UK because they take a different approach, are they?

As for me thinking I'm a "cool girl" - I'm not a girl, I'm actually a grown woman, but I'm having troubles believing you are one based on your contribution to this dialogue...

edited April 2014
    No, you are a little girl.  I like how you keep implying I'm just stupid.  Whatever.  Yes, 12% is allergic.  Wow, I mean, that sounds like a disaster there.   And there are no alternatives to that, the medical community didn't even consider that!  You are so smart with your google searches, finding that stat that you probably didn't even know beforehand.  Again, I am well aware of the effects antibiotics have.  And again, NONE OF THEM ARE WORSE THAN PUTTING YOUR BABY AT RISK.  Unless I am you and don't want diarrhea.  Which, it is hilarious that you are citing your fucking CD as a reason to do that.  They would likely have options for you other than denying your baby treatment like some psycho.

You suck as a human being and I hope your tubes are tied.  Go to bed please.
    You're a lying liar that lies.  You said you have IBD.  If you had Irritable Bowel Disease (which isn't IBS), you would know that isn't just diarrhea.  People DIE from CD.  A Crohn's flare is a very, very serious thing that leaves people hospitalized, needing blood transfusions, and incapable of carrying out their lives.  It's a disease, not some stomach discomfort.  Get a clue.

And I am completely laughing at the inconsistencies in your logic here.  You're the one crying "OH!  The risk is terrible.  Babiez could DIEEEEEEEEE!", yet you're saying that it's not a big deal that 12% of the population's babies are potentially at risk for complications of that same bacteria you're on a soapbox about because treatments are becoming resistant.  Either GBS is a big deal and we should be concerned about those 12% or it isn't.  You're not making sense.

And puhlease with the google search BS.  As if you're not doing the same thing.  Oh wait, you're not doing the same thing.....you're not supplying any useful information to this debate other than your immature "'I know you are, but what am I' comebacks".  lol

I'm going to respectfully disagree.  And I'm not going to have my tubes tied, thank you very much.  Lord willing, I'll have many more children to balance out the lack of empathy and the ignorance of the people like you that exist in this world.  Your anger at me for a decision that in no way affects you is what is psycho, not my loving decision to do what I think is best for my family.  I'm simply trying to have a dialogue about this and you can do nothing but come back with immature claims about what a terrible mother I am.  At least I'm backing my claims up with statistical information, even if from google searches (searches that bring up valid medical journals, BTW)  instead of just resorting to personal attacks (an obvious sign of a childish inability to respectfully debate something).  Have a great day and enjoy having the last word here  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"