March 2014 Moms
Options

Postpartum hives?

Ahutch428Ahutch428 member
edited April 2014 in March 2014 Moms
Has anyone broken out into hives after breastfeeding? After finishing a nursing session I suddenly became very itchy, and broke out into hives. I called my doctor and she said to take Benadryl. I also googled and read that it could be from hormone changes due to breastfeeding? Anyone else experience this or know anything about it? I am trying to figure out if it is from a prescription or the hormones.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Postpartum hives?

• Options
    not with this guy but with Alexis I broke out in hives from head to toe. We never did figure out what it was from as I have so many allergies it could of been from anything. Be careful with benadryl while BF as it can cause supply issues. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options

not with this guy but with Alexis I broke out in hives from head to toe. We never did figure out what it was from as I have so many allergies it could of been from anything. Be careful with benadryl while BF as it can cause supply issues. 

Thanks! I am hoping it's just a one time thing, and won't affect my supply to much. I have never been allergic to anything, so this is so weird to me!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I broke out in hives day 3 after she was born. Same day my milk came in. No idea what caused it but now am wondering if it might have been bf hormone related.
  • Options
    VanessaBeeVanessaBee member
    edited April 2014
    I got a really similar looking rash and because it didn't go away on its own, wound up at the dermatologist. They said it was contact eczema - probably a reaction to hormones or something I was given in the OR. I used a prescription steroid cream for about a week to clear it up. Just another thought, in case yours lingers or gets worse!
  • Options
    I got a rash like that when my milk came in I put medicated baby powder on it and left it covered. Went away by the next day.
  • Options
    I have an itchy rash on my belly. At first I thought it was just my lovely stretch marks itching but it's definitely itchy bumps over them...I'll try powder. It's sooo itchy!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"