Potty Training

3 year old... Doesnt seem like he knows the "I need to go feeling"

My son was 3 at the end of January (he is a 8 week premmie)

we have talked about potty traing and tried a few times but nothing really stuck so over the last week we have been using a sticker chart, prizes, praise and putting him on the potty every 15 min.

He doesnt seem to be getting the "I need to go feeling"

He never tells us he has to go and it seems the only time he is actually going on the potty is good timing by us. He is not fighting us to sit on the potty and I really dont want to make this a bad experience for him. He also will not go poop on the potty at all and is not actaully making him self feel sick

I have talked to his doctor he said boys are usually around 3.5 many people I know kids are much sooner than that

So my question is.. do I try to press on or maybe back off (still talking and encouraging) for a few weeks and then try again... Maybe he just isnt ready??

Re: 3 year old... Doesnt seem like he knows the "I need to go feeling"

• I am in the same boat, we actually stopped for a few weeks. We started up again with treats, sticker charts, potty DVDs, books, etc. The first few days he did great, although like you I think it was more our timing putting him on the potty than him recognizing he had to go. He would start to have accidents though and run to the potty.

Now he seems to have lost interest, is fighting us to sit on the potty and when he has an accident he runs away and gets upset. I don't think he feels when he has to go and now when he has an accident he no longer wants to even try to finish in the potty.

Sigh, so basically I'm no help but I feel your pain!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Have you tried going bare-bottomed?

My daughter is younger than your son but it's worked well for her. I tried putting her on the potty at regular times starting at 17 months, having her come in the bathroom with me, reading books about the potty, and although she was excited about the potty and understood that pee and poop went in there, she never went in the potty. I also felt that she could do it but just couldn't make the connection between the sensations of needing to go and pee coming out. I tried a slacker version of the 3-day naked weekend, and she is catching on quickly. You end up with a lot of pee on the floor the first couple days, but it really helped make the connection between the sensations before and during peeing/pooping when they have the immediate consequence of it running down their leg. Good luck!
    baby girl  5.12
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow..reading this made me feel like I catching a glimpse of my own situation.

Our son just turned 3 as well.  He will go on the potty (pee and poop) anytime we place him on the potty.  He never fights it.  He is dry at daycare because they take him every 20-30 minutes.  If we do the same, he is dry/clean at home.  He WILL NOT ask to go potty.  We have tried charts, treats, bare bottom etc. 

If we ask him about it, he says he "doesn't feel it".  Right now we are on a break and are starting back up on Monday.  Let me know if you find the answer b/c we have really reached the frustration level point.  
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"